5,594,805 Members 37,320 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] need help rom

Tip us?

White_Hawk
Old
(Last edited by White_Hawk; 18th December 2013 at 07:01 PM.) Reason: changed something's.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] need help rom

I have been running cm for a week or so. I wanna try a aokp rom . is there a list of aokp ROM and how can you tell if the ROM is aokp? I'm new and I want to explore the aokp side of gs3.

Thanks
White hawk

jmxc23
Old
Thanks Meter 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Hawk View Post
I have been running cm for a week or so. I wanna try a aokp rom . what is a good aokp ROM to try out. I'm new and I want to explore the aokp side of gs3.

Thanks
White hawk
There are two types of custom Roms. There is the Roms based on the OEM version of android (touchwiz from Samsung and Sense from HTC) and AOSP. AOKP is an AOSP ROM not another type of ROM like MIUI is. With that being said we don't make recommendations as it leads to debates about which ROM is the best. Also everyone here has had different experiences with each ROM to really be of any help. Lastly your thread will be closed by the moderators.

White_Hawk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The reason i ask is cause i go to this lnk and only shows aokp on one. As for a new person its a bit confusng.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1850506

I edited my first post.

beepea206
Old
Thanks Meter 159
AOKP is just a modified version of CM. aokp.co: http://aokp.co/devices/d2vzw You'll want Milestone. Keep in mind this is 4.3 and it's based off CM10... there isn't an AOKP for 4.4/CM11 yet.

If you're talking about AOSP-based roms, which are different than CM-based, there's a few (Gummy, Liquid, Carbon, SlimKat...); my daily driver is Gummy with the dkp kernel.

jmxc23
Old
(Last edited by jmxc23; 18th December 2013 at 08:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 329
Quote:
The reason i ask is cause i go to this lnk and only shows aokp on one. As for a new person its a bit confusng.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1850506

I edited my first post.
That isn't up to date as there have been at least 20 or so ROMs since then. As I said before AOKP is an AOSP ROM albeit a popular one. AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project. Roms like CyanogenMod,AOKP,ParanoidAndroid and PAC-man are all AOSP ROMs. AOKP is a specific AOSP ROM. The AOKP ROM on that link is the official one created by team AOKP. Beepea206 CyanogenMod is still an AOSP based rom as it is based off the official Android releases like all other AOSP ROMs. Yes they have added their own code and features like the ROMs I have mentioned in this post but they are still AOSP based ROMs. It is like Ubuntu and other Linux OSes they all have added their own codes and features but all are still Linux OSes.

White_Hawk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Is there a up to date list on the ROMs than. Since I find ones like the one I posted is out of date. Or a master list of aokp ROM and aosp ROMs and such?

beepea206
Old
Thanks Meter 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmxc23 View Post
That isn't up to date as there have been at least 20 or so ROMs since then. As I said before AOKP is an AOSP ROM albeit a popular one. AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project. Roms like CyanogenMod,AOKP,ParanoidAndroid and PAC-man are all AOSP ROMs. AOKP is a specific AOSP ROM. The AOKP ROM on that link is the official one created by team AOKP.
Wrong, albeit semantically.

- AOSP roms are those compiled directly from Google's sources, with device and hardware files modified to work with the rom. For a rom to be 'pure AOSP', it has to be free from any CM repositories, which is why all the non-CM roms right now are 'AOSP-based'... they use the hardware and device repos from CM. As it stands right now, there are no 'pure' AOSP roms for the d2vzw.
- AOKP is a kang (aka the 'K' in AOKP, or Android Open Kang Project) of CM, generally adding more features like the navigation bar and status bar tweaks. There are also AOKP builds that 'cherrypick' things from CM and the AOKP githubs.
- CM is a custom, modified version of the AOSP framework with a slew of hacks and mods; it's essentially a derivative/variant version of Android, drawing on the open-source nature of the OS to create a new one.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Is there a up to date list on the ROMs than. Since I find ones like the one I posted is out of date. Or a master list of aokp ROM and aosp ROMs and such?
This is the most current build list: http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...erizon#romList

jmxc23
Old
(Last edited by jmxc23; 18th December 2013 at 08:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 329
Quote:
No their isn't any at the moment. You will have to go through original Android development section and it isn't a list per se .