XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock Firmware

Tip us?

mcernuto
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default Stock Firmware

Guys and gals i found that there is an update from 2.3.6 to 4.1.2 i think it was. I tried to update using Kies and it told me that my software was not supported for kies update. Anyone know another way tp update to the latest stock firmware. My phone IS unlocked on Tmo. . Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

captemo
Old
Thanks Meter 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcernuto View Post
Guys and gals i found that there is an update from 2.3.6 to 4.1.2 i think it was. I tried to update using Kies and it told me that my software was not supported for kies update. Anyone know another way tp update to the latest stock firmware. My phone IS unlocked on Tmo. . Thanks

That update was in May

sp73smith
Old
Thanks Meter 21
http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/
then search for sgh-i717, download your file and use odin to install...

mcernuto
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Do you know if i will have root after the update? And thanks for the link

sp73smith
Old
Thanks Meter 21
You won't have root and it will erase everything. Check the super everything thread on how to root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

mcernuto
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Im rooted now. Im familiar with him to do it. Thank you

mcernuto
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
i've done a bunch of reading on 4.1.2 and see that its laggy. Can someone tell me if 4.0.4 or 4.1.2 is better as a stock rom?
The Following User Says Thank You to mcernuto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captemo
Old
Thanks Meter 864
Quote:
i've done a bunch of reading on 4.1.2 and see that its laggy. Can someone tell me if 4.0.4 or 4.1.2 is better as a stock rom?
4.0 is probably better on everything, cause its older, better battery too. But not as many bells and whistles. A lot of the lag can be eliminated just by disabling ripple effect on lock screen. The remaining with Trickster. I know you don't like to read too much, but if you went to p355 - 378 in Padawan thread, all lag issues (for most) disappeared. My phone never ran better. I've gotten comfortable with bells and whistles though. Stock is very bland for me now.

The Following User Says Thank You to captemo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mcernuto
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by captemo View Post
4.0 is probably better on everything, cause its older, better battery too. But not as many bells and whistles. A lot of the lag can be eliminated just by disabling ripple effect on lock screen. The remaining with Trickster. I know you don't like to read too much, but if you went to p355 - 378 in Padawan thread, all lag issues (for most) disappeared. My phone never ran better. I've gotten comfortable with bells and whistles though. Stock is very bland for me now.

i flashed the rom you talked about and now i cant make calls.. when I dial the number it does not ring or anything for a few seconds and then ends the call. It does this on 3 different roms now.. what can I do

captemo
Old
Thanks Meter 864
Quote:
i flashed the rom you talked about and now i cant make calls.. when I dial the number it does not ring or anything for a few seconds and then ends the call. It does this on 3 different roms now.. what can I do
Sounds like modem issue. Try flashing a separate modem on top of. Don't know what other 2 ROMs you flashed? Not sure what the effect would be, but Padawan doesn't need gapps.

But I would check modem