5,598,297 Members 47,873 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help!...Need to wipe phone with no screen...

Tip us?

TontoDroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Help!...Need to wipe phone with no screen...

I recently dropped my phone which caused a hairline fracture just through the top portion of the glass. Enough to also break the LCD underneath.

I want to sell the phone to subsidize for the next phone, so I need to data wipe the phone (Sorry, I'm in college but also working to save up money).

I'm not very sophisticated as most here, but I am familiar with using Odin as I think that is my only option here without a screen. I think I can get to the download screen blind. Is that true?

I know the phone is working you just can't see anything. Everything but the screen works - the alarm rings, I get notifications, emails, texts, etc.

Should I use Odin to flash a new ROM to wipe the phone? Can anyone please direct me to a working ROM link?

Thanks, guys!...

Wolgast1
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hello I have a friend working for sprint as a technician. to do a data wipe without the screen, you need to press and hold the power button and the volume up key.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

and also, if your phone was activated on your sprint phone #, make sure to swap the device, so when you sell it. the buyer will be able to activate on their phone number as well. it has to be a clean ESN / IMEI

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

and also, if your phone was activated on your sprint phone #, make sure to swap the device, so when you sell it. the buyer will be able to activate on their phone number as well. it has to be a clean ESN / IMEI

TontoDroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Volume up and power button doesn't wipe data. Do you mean boot into recovery and wipe from there? You need the screen to really see what is going on.

bgibs1
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TontoDroid View Post
Volume up and power button doesn't wipe data. Do you mean boot into recovery and wipe from there? You need the screen to really see what is going on.
Volume down + power will get you to download mode so you can ODIN... then you have to hit volume up to get past the warning message( somebody smarter chime in if Im wrong) then you could ODIN firmware or recoveries

TontoDroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibs1 View Post
Volume down + power will get you to download mode so you can ODIN... then you have to hit volume up to get past the warning message( somebody smarter chime in if Im wrong) then you could ODIN firmware or recoveries
Actually, I was finally able to do this, but ODIN doesn't seem to be wiping the data. My alarm etc still rings!!!

Mohawka
Old
Thanks Meter 9
This has helped me when I had a broken screen. It allows you to get display on your computer. http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/