5,604,443 Members 46,952 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

VZW Update Failed / How to Update Super SU when I have safestrap

Tip us?

dpoverlord
Old
(Last edited by dpoverlord; 15th December 2013 at 07:41 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Exclamation VZW Update Failed / How to Update Super SU when I have safestrap

Hey guys, basically trying to follow this guide, since I need to wipe - clean and load the new VZW update. Reason being:

3 problems: KNOX Detected in SUPERSU, Can't update, random crashes

SUPERSU has an error Samsung KNOX has been detected. This might limit root capabilities and cause annoying popups. Try to disable KNOX?

edit:I went and downloaded v1.8 and still get the knox error above.

I then went to update and it said "The update was unsuccessful" does this due to me having safe strap installed?

Help info:
My Baseband Version is: N900VVRUBMJ7
Android Version: 4.3
Kernel Version: 3.4.0 se.infra@r0302-06 #1 wed oct 16 18:45:50 KST 2013
Hardware Version N900V.07
On the step by step guide here is what I understand:

1. Download Odin v3.09
2. Question Which download below should I download for my phone????

Official VRUBMJE 4.3- http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=...0975512(Retail locked N3 only)
Official VRUBMJ7 4.3- http://d-h.st/IEW(Retail Locked N3 ONLY)
Official VRUBMI9 4.3- https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B26p...t?pli=1(Retail Locked N3 ONLY)
VZW_32gb.pit- http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23159073880936457

3. Before I install, I went to Titanium Backup and I ran a backup of my apps and SMS data, is there anything else that I should backup?

4. Is it better to wipe my phone first? Right now I experience A LOT of Lag when I open my contacts (10,000) and try to type messages in my sms folder.

Edit:Basically, should I wipe the phone, is there a way to roll it back pre-root so its as if I am intalling root on a fresh device? I have more lag on this phone now than I had when I first had De La Vega (i.e typing lag, sms lag, contact lag)

really appreciate the help!

LeftyGR
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Best thing is to use Odin. There are many many threads all over on how to use it, so I won't repeat how to. But once you have odin installed, use it to flash an official firmware. Then check for updates in settings on the phone, once booted back up. Make sure it says it is up to date (mje). If not, allow it to update. Then use kingo (check Google) to root. Then install safestrap. If you followed all that, you should be good. If SuperSU gives that Knox message, allow it to disable knox.

My personal opinion, once you've rooted successfully, install a custom rom with safestrap. That way you won't have any knox messages.

♢NoteIII♢
I will not appologize for art.
Galaxy Note 3

The Following User Says Thank You to LeftyGR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dpoverlord
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGR View Post
Best thing is to use Odin. There are many many threads all over on how to use it, so I won't repeat how to. But once you have odin installed, use it to flash an official firmware. Then check for updates in settings on the phone, once booted back up. Make sure it says it is up to date (mje). If not, allow it to update. Then use kingo (check Google) to root. Then install safestrap. If you followed all that, you should be good. If SuperSU gives that Knox message, allow it to disable knox.

My personal opinion, once you've rooted successfully, install a custom rom with safestrap. That way you won't have any knox messages.

♢NoteIII♢
So I need to do this today, really appreciate the help.

I looked around for the threads, it seems there are a lot of threads discussing how people brick their phones after moving to Odin.

Anyway you or someone else could be a good friend and send me a quick how to? I first did:

1. Rooted with De La Vega,
2. OTA updated last month
3. Kingo Root fix
4. Safestrap to put in SuperSU and get rid of Kingo.

I take it with Odin the process is:

1. Kies / Odin??? Not sure
2. OTA update 1
3. OTA update 2
4. Kingo Root
5. Safe Strap 3.65
6. Look up how to remove Kingo
7. Super SU

LeftyGR
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Actually the best thing to do is to download the latest .tar file. It's on a thread in the dev section. I'm not sure if it has the matching .pit file with it. But if not, grab that as well. That way there is no worries about being on the current rev.
Then root with kingo, install safestrap, and update SuperSU.
Then you should be golden.

♢NoteIII♢
Galaxy Note 3

The Following User Says Thank You to LeftyGR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dpoverlord
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Actually the best thing to do is to download the latest .tar file. It's on a thread in the dev section. I'm not sure if it has the matching .pit file with it. But if not, grab that as well. That way there is no worries about being on the current rev.
Then root with kingo, install safestrap, and update SuperSU.
Then you should be golden.

♢NoteIII♢
I went to the odin step by step thread and they had these from November. I take it I should take the MJ7 file?

N900VVRUBMJ7_N900VVZWMJ7_N900VVRUBMJ7_HOME.tar

From the odin thread.
Official VRUBMJE 4.3- http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=...0975512(Retail locked N3 only)

Official VRUBMJ7 4.3- http://d-h.st/IEW(Retail Locked N3 ONLY)

Official VRUBMI9 4.3- https://d

LeftyGR
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Get mje from here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524572

Up to you how comfy you are with this... but what I did was boot to recovery, deleted all slots, wiped system, data, and cache from stock slot. Then while still in recovery, booted to download mode and and used odin to install the current build.
Booted up as a stock rom with no issues for me, used kingo to root, and installed ss. But like I said, only do this if you feel like you are comfortable doing so. Because you are effectively booting out of recovery to download with no way back but odin.

♢NoteIII♢

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

And you can actually skip the pit file, because the one that we have is from the original build. Just make sure that when you use Odin the repartition check box does not have a check in it.

♢NoteIII♢
Galaxy Note 3

dpoverlord
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Get mje from here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2524572

Up to you how comfy you are with this... but what I did was boot to recovery, deleted all slots, wiped system, data, and cache from stock slot. Then while still in recovery, booted to download mode and and used odin to install the current build.
Booted up as a stock rom with no issues for me, used kingo to root, and installed ss. But like I said, only do this if you feel like you are comfortable doing so. Because you are effectively booting out of recovery to download with no way back but odin.

♢NoteIII♢

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

And you can actually skip the pit file, because the one that we have is from the original build. Just make sure that when you use Odin the repartition check box does not have a check in it.

♢NoteIII♢
Thanks! Whats the difference between MJ7 MJE and all of those? Since I know my phone currently says N900VVRUBMJ7 would I still use MJE?

LeftyGR
Old
Thanks Meter 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoverlord View Post
Thanks! Whats the difference between MJ7 MJE and all of those? Since I know my phone currently says N900VVRUBMJ7 would I still use MJE?
I know there is a list somewhere of the changes, but it's pretty short except for bug fixes. There is also an update kernel.

♢NoteIII♢
Galaxy Note 3

dpoverlord
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
I know there is a list somewhere of the changes, but it's pretty short except for bug fixes. There is also an update kernel.

♢NoteIII♢
K Thanks, the only reason I was asking was since the MJ7 download was 2.2GB(N900VVRUBMJ7_N900VVZWMJ7_N900VVRUBMJ7_HOME.t ar)

and

MJE was 1.4GB was a big difference in size so I dont want to install and mess it up

So I will install this one which is almost 1.4GB
ALL_N900VVRUBMJE_N900VVZWMJE_2106277_REV03_user_lo w_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5

Thats correct right?

dpoverlord
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Would love your input.
Knox is Samsung's new fancy security software. Don't know much about it except it can get a bit wonky.

If all you use is the original ROM with root and safestrap, you got knox, bloatware, and Verizon crap. If you know how to get it "all" out, then that's fine. But a custom ROM will have all that weeded out with other tweaks and mods. This is usually the best way to go. Custom ROM's are in the development thread.

As far as you're phone running slow, I got a few things for you. First reboot to recovery and under wipe/advanced wipe, wipe dalvik cache and cache then reboot. If that doesn't help, you may need factory reset. You will not loose root by doing that.
Thanks,

Any specific Roms you recommend? Is the process that much different for the install? I hate the verizon crap, Just need to figure the right way to run everything.