XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Lg Lucid 2 ( VS870 ) wifi tether after root. hotspotprovision.apk

Tip us?

Nikguy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Question [Q] Lg Lucid 2 ( VS870 ) wifi tether after root. hotspotprovision.apk

So I rooted my LG Lucid 2 from this guide: http://androidforums.com/lucid-2-all...es-inside.html
The one thing I noticed is that afterwards, tethering by any method (wifi tether, usb tether, bluetooth tether) is now impossible. After doing some research i think that the rooting method removed the system app "hotspotprovision.apk"
I know the root for this phone had to dissable some root checker tool that lg built into the phone, but do you think that removing the hotspot app is necessary? or can i get it back without having my phone tell verizon that i'm messing with my phone (the link tells all about the weird root checking tool LG tried to hide)?

Any help would be awesome! I just need some way to tether due to it being my main source of internet when i am at school.

all apps like pda net, foxfi, wifi tether, and all the other apps just start with errors, and when i try to start up the built in usb tether option i just get an error saying "Sorry! Unfortunately Provision has stopped"

Nikguy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Even with a factory reset and/or re flashing the firmware is still doesnt work.
Has ANYONE else with this phone tried to use any tether apps? If so have they worked or failed? I don't even know if this is happening to just me, or if everyone who owns this phone is without the tether ability

It would just help me a lot to know if somebody else has the same problem or even doesn't. I'm trying to decide if I need to return the phone or if i just need to wait for a software update of some sort..

Thanks guys for the help.

globalweb01
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default USB tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikguy View Post
Even with a factory reset and/or re flashing the firmware is still doesnt work.
Has ANYONE else with this phone tried to use any tether apps? If so have they worked or failed? I don't even know if this is happening to just me, or if everyone who owns this phone is without the tether ability

It would just help me a lot to know if somebody else has the same problem or even doesn't. I'm trying to decide if I need to return the phone or if i just need to wait for a software update of some sort..

Thanks guys for the help.
I recommend EasyTether. It works with non-rooted phones, and the LG LUCID that has been rooted. I particularly like the fact that I can use it with both Windows and Linux.

Nikguy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Ok thanks ill give it a shot! Ill let everyone know if it works in a sec

Nikguy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
So for some reason no matter what i do, wireless tethering wont work unless i bought the tether service for verizon... i got the usb tether side of foxfi to work but so far wireless tethering is out of the question.

I cant believe no one has posted about this problem except me! Is it literally only me that has this problem? Ive been posting about this all over the internet since the phones release and so far no one has tried to use a tether app to confirm that this is not just a defect with my particular phone!

janam4u
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Im having the same problems
No functional WiFi tethering
But other people have had successes
I going to try usb wired tethering next

Nikguy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Ok cool, thanks for the response. I was able to get usb tethering to work on pda net, but that requires installing another client on my computer as well, and connecting isnt always seamless. I mostly want a wifi hotspot to power all my other wifi only devices once i go off to school at the end of august.

jenkies
Old
Thanks Meter 8
So has anyone figured out how to get the wireless tether working after root? Just curios.

Nikguy
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Not that is know of... Head over to android central. They are working on a ROM there which cooooould lead to a tether option in the future

striker59
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Mine wont work either.

Tags
hotspot, hotspotprovision.apk, lucid 2, provision, tether