XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Repartition media and data partitions on Nook Tablet

Tip us?

hwong96
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Default Repartition media and data partitions on Nook Tablet

Congrats to all who figured out the rooting process on NT. The NT has a measly 1gb media partition and over generous 11gb data partition. Can more experienced developers look into gparted-live-0.10.0-3.iso and e2fsprogs-1.41.14.tar.gz to use as tools to repartition the NT? I do not have a NT yet. I have a rooted emmc CM7.1 NC oc'd to 1.225gHz. I appreciate and respect all the effort that goes into this project. I used the develop financial apps for a big US bank.

anlog
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwong96 View Post
Congrats to all who figured out the rooting process on NT. The NT has a measly 1gb media partition and over generous 11gb data partition. Can more experienced developers look into gparted-live-0.10.0-3.iso and e2fsprogs-1.41.14.tar.gz to use as tools to repartition the NT? I do not have a NT yet. I have a rooted emmc CM7.1 NC oc'd to 1.225gHz. I appreciate and respect all the effort that goes into this project. I used the develop financial apps for a big US bank.
Looks like it won't be necessary...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1355969
The Following User Says Thank You to anlog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

unsivil_audio
Old
Thanks Meter 72

DONATE TO ME
Necessary no, but definitely desired.

Sent from XDA Premium app CM7.1

Moto X (1053) -
Stock, retired Nexus 5 - Carbon'd ElementalX v.36 2.9ghz/300mhz, Galaxy Note 8.0 - Carbon'd KK, Nexus 4 - Stock, retired
Nook HD+,Motorola Atrix 2, HTC Aria, Nook Color,HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 16gb - Sold

rmm200
Old
Thanks Meter 265
Not even desired if storage is really not partitioned, as it now appears.

anlog
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsivil_audio View Post
Necessary no, but definitely desired.

At best, repartitioning will give you an additional 1GB of space, and probably break the ability to ever do a factory restore or load additional updates when they are released by B&N.

I think we need to wait for an unlocked bootloader or at least an accessible CWM with bootable workaround (like on the Droids) before we start messing with the filesystem.

hwong96
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Current configuration allows 11gb for purchased apps, movies, books, music from Amazon app store, BN app store or Google market. Only 1gb is allowed for end user loaded music, books, movies etc. If you have over one thousand song music collection (5gb) you want loaded to NT you will need to use a microSD card. You cannot load an HD movie in the 1gb media partition. The old NC partition scheme had 5gb media and 1gb data. The newer NC partition scheme (blue dot) has 1gb media and 5gb data. Most users will not utilize the 11gb for purchased apps.

unsivil_audio
Old
Thanks Meter 72

DONATE TO ME
Thank you hwong for my case in point.

Moto X (1053) -
Stock, retired Nexus 5 - Carbon'd ElementalX v.36 2.9ghz/300mhz, Galaxy Note 8.0 - Carbon'd KK, Nexus 4 - Stock, retired
Nook HD+,Motorola Atrix 2, HTC Aria, Nook Color,HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 16gb - Sold

anlog
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwong96 View Post
Current configuration allows 11gb for purchased apps, movies, books, music from Amazon app store, BN app store or Google market. Only 1gb is allowed for end user loaded music, books, movies etc. If you have over one thousand song music collection (5gb) you want loaded to NT you will need to use a microSD card. You cannot load an HD movie in the 1gb media partition. The old NC partition scheme had 5gb media and 1gb data. The newer NC partition scheme (blue dot) has 1gb media and 5gb data. Most users will not utilize the 11gb for purchased apps.
You can add custom search paths to some media players to scan /data/media (or whatever you want to call it). You might even be able to setup a symlink. You can also open the files (large movies, etc) directly from a file manager like Root Explorer.

I do see your point, though, how the layout is different from the NC. I'm using a 32gb memory card so I guess this isn't an issue for me.

hwong96
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
The data partition is ext4 formatted whereas the media partition is vfat formatted. When the NT is connected to a computer via USB, the vfat system is what the user sees for loading his own content. I do not think the ext4 partition shows up as a drive on the computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to hwong96 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
bx19 Old
Thanks Meter
Smile thread moved..

Thread moved to general section ..