5,597,542 Members 31,784 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Installing CM11 Internally on Nook Tablet

Tip us?
 
digixmax
Old
(Last edited by digixmax; 27th March 2014 at 01:28 AM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 351
Posts: 1,198
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default [HOW-TO] Installing CM11 Internally on Nook Tablet

[Caveat emptor: adopt/follow this guide at your own risk].

[Important Note: this process is applicable for CM11 builds that still maintains two separate partitions for /data and /media as the case with CM10.x and stock ROMs (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post48612997 for more info). If/when these two partitions get merged in some future CM11 builds (as being contemplated by our NT CM developers see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...560827&page=28) this installation process will not be valid for those future builds with merged /data+media partition].

The following is the process using SD-based recovery to install CM11 internally (i.e., on emmc) on a Nook Tablet running stock ROM. [If your NT is already running CM10.x, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2670589 for a simpler process to update from CM10 to CM11].
  1. Using a disk partition tool (such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition) create on SD card a Primary FAT32 partition, and set the partition ID type for the partition to 0x0C FAT32 LBA and set its Active flag. Once this is done, the partition should appear as a (read/write accessible) drive under Windows
  2. Obtain and copy to the SD card the following files:
    1. first MLO, then next u-boot.bin and flashing_boot.img in boot.zip obtained from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xjw...ll/Nook_Tablet
    2. TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project) version 2.6.3.0 or later, e.g., openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-acclaim-sdcard.img from http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/acclaim, rename it to recovery.img before copying to SD card.
    3. the flashable_CWM_6.0.4.5_chrmhoffmann.zip zip file from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xjw...ll/Nook_Tablet which contains the CWM recovery v0.2 provided by Chris Hoffmann (in the first post of the XDA Official CM11 thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2560827).
    4. the zip file of CM11 ROM build of your choice from http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=acclaim (see http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/cm-1...-release-items for considerations in choosing nightlies vs. snapshot/stable builds).
    5. the zip file of the Gapps package corresponding to CM11 e.g., pa_gapps-modular-mini-4.4.2-20140301-signed.zip from http://goo.im/devs/paranoidandroid/roms/gapps-mini
  3. Put the SD card into the NT, and boot from its power off by inserting a powered USB cable. Press and hold the N button as soon as CyanoBoot comes up to get the boot menu to display.
  4. Select SDC Recovery.
  5. [Optional step but highly recommended] Select Backup to backup your NT current ROM config (/boot, /recovery, /system, and /data).
  6. Select Wipe data & factory reset.
  7. Select install zip from SD card and install flashable CWM recovery zip file.
  8. Select install zip from SD card and install CM11 zip file.
  9. Select install zip from SD card and install Gapps zip file.
  10. Remove SD card and select reboot.

Once the NT boots up, set up the wifi connectivity and your google account info. If you had previously used Google backup service on your NT your apps will be auto-downloaded (but their settings will not be auto-restored).

Notes
  1. If the Nook fails to boot off SD -- the two most common symptoms of failed SD boot and their likely causes are:
    1. The NT boots straight to stock -- most likely the boot partition's type and/or flag are not correctly set, or the NT cannot find the MLO in the boot partition (make sure that MLO is the very first file to be copied to the freshly made /boot partition).
    2. The NT screen stays dark for seemingly a long time then eventually boots to stock -- most likely the MLO or u-boot.bin are corrupted. When in doubt, compare the size of the two copies of the files in bytes.
  2. Installing CM11 ROM and Gapps will override your NT's current boot, recovery, ROM, and Apps, so make sure that you backup all this stuff using recovery backup function, for easy in reverting to previous ROM if desired. See my post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post48612997 for more "Info and Tips for Mitigating Risks in Rooting and Flashing Custom-ROM".
    Also, I would advise against using any other functions of the recovery without first carefully researching to understand what they really do.

My thanks to all the developers who collective work created the wonderful CM11 ROM for the NT as well as the tools and info I made use of to install it.
 
gammaworks
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 26
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default bad boot image

I have followed your instructions carefully. But got an error message after selecting SDC recovery option from the boot menu..

booti: bad boot image magic (in memory).

I have tried to seat the card several times, no difference. This is a SanDisk 16GB class 10 card. I have installed CM11 on it, and worked. So the card can work. Now I want to install CM11 internally.

Don't know what else to try at this point. Please help. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaworks View Post
I have followed your instructions carefully. But got an error message after selecting SDC recovery option from the boot menu..

booti: bad boot image magic (in memory).
Never mind, I have picked the wrong recovery.img. Ooops.
 
gammaworks
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 26
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default did not work for me

Installing it internally for the first time. Did not work...

set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/cm-11-... SNAPSHOT-M4-acclaim.zip'
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/cm-11...SNAPSHOT-m4-acclaim.zip'


It appears I have bricked my nook tablet.
 
digixmax
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 351
Posts: 1,198
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaworks View Post
Installing it internally for the first time. Did not work...

set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/cm-11-... SNAPSHOT-M4-acclaim.zip'
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/cm-11...SNAPSHOT-m4-acclaim.zip'
...
Which version of SD based recovery did you use?

Also, you might want to consider to first flash CM10.x (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=163) then later update to CM11.
 
gammaworks
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 26
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default come back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by digixmax View Post
Which version of SD based recovery did you use?

Also, you might want to consider to first flash CM10.x (see http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=163) then later update to CM11.
Thanks. An youtube video helped me out in the end: watch?v=3YYXtGAt6GY

What did I do differently this time? After installed openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-acclaim-sdcard.img onto emmc, I rebooted NT without a SD card. The TWRP boot menu came up. I put the SD card back in. The SD card has CM11 and Gapps zip files. I then selected internal EMMC recovery (that is the key I think):

factory reset
install cm-11-20140405-SNAPSHOT-M5-acclaim.zip
install pa_gapps-modular-mini-4.4.2-20140321a-signed.zip


Now I have Android 4.4.2 running on my NT.
 
digixmax
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 351
Posts: 1,198
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaworks View Post
...
What did I do differently this time? After installed openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-acclaim-sdcard.img onto emmc
...
The TWRP openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-acclaim-sdcard.img is for SD card, the corresponding version for emmc openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-acclaim.img.
 
bobzdar
Old
(Last edited by bobzdar; 8th April 2014 at 06:13 PM.)
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 97
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaworks View Post
Thanks. An youtube video helped me out in the end: watch?v=3YYXtGAt6GY

What did I do differently this time? After installed openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-acclaim-sdcard.img onto emmc, I rebooted NT without a SD card. The TWRP boot menu came up. I put the SD card back in. The SD card has CM11 and Gapps zip files. I then selected internal EMMC recovery (that is the key I think):

factory reset
install cm-11-20140405-SNAPSHOT-M5-acclaim.zip
install pa_gapps-modular-mini-4.4.2-20140321a-signed.zip


Now I have Android 4.4.2 running on my NT.
I did the same as you and get stuck at the CM boot screen. Tried 2x reflashing and keep getting stuck at the CM boot screen with the spinning arrow.

nm, 3rd time was the charm for some reason . Going through setup now, thanks!
Motorola Droid Razr
Nook Tablet (rooted)
 
digixmax
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 351
Posts: 1,198
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
I did the same as you and get stuck at the CM boot screen. Tried 2x reflashing and keep getting stuck at the CM boot screen with the spinning arrow.

nm, 3rd time was the charm for some reason . Going through setup now, thanks!
How long did you wait for the first-time boot to complete?

FWIW successful first-time boot typically takes 3 to 4 min.
 
bobzdar
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 97
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by digixmax View Post
How long did you wait for the first-time boot to complete?

FWIW successful first-time boot typically takes 3 to 4 min.
I waited around 15 minutes the first two times. I could tell it was doing something different the 3rd time as the swirling arrow would stop briefly as it presumably loaded things while the first two times it just swirled non-stop.
Motorola Droid Razr
Nook Tablet (rooted)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Polish Your Custom Themes with Theme Debugger

Creating a custom Android theme from scratch can be quite the laborious task. In addition to … more

Clean Up Your Logcat Code with Lib Cleaner

Some of you may think that writing code is the hardest part of development. It’s not, as the … more

Tweak Your Xperia Device’s Camera App Yourself

We’ve come to expect nearly perfect cameraperformancein our modern day … more