5,605,766 Members 48,341 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
Announcement from [NUT]: Return to 4.2.2 FTF released, see post #3. OP Guide now non-destructive!!

[STOCK][C69XX][4.3] Update to 14.2.A.0.290 [Root & XZDR][LB/UB][16/1/2014]

Tip us?

[NUT]
Old
(Last edited by [NUT]; 7th January 2014 at 04:22 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4307

DONATE TO ME
Default [STOCK][C69XX][4.3] Update to 14.2.A.0.290 [Root & XZDR][LB/UB][16/1/2014]

Requirements:
Special features:
In the following guide I suggest you use an external SDCard but that's just good practice, you can use your internal storage or even an USB OTG storage device in TWRP if you like to install, that's no problem!... If you are modding and the likes, best is to have an external sdcard, just for safeties sake.

If you are unable to download torrent files directly, have http://zbigz.com/ do it for you!

How to update to 14.2.A.0.290:
  1. If you attempted this before, make sure you delete XZDR.prop from the XZDualRecovery folder to make sure it will not cause a bootloop.
  2. Files:Save them somewhere you remember;
  3. Put 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290.flashable.zip' on (the external) SDcard1;
  4. Put 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290_Stripped.ftf' inside the Flashtool/firmwares folder;
  5. Create a backup of your phone in TWRP and don't forget to backup the contents of 'SDCard' (the internal storage!);
  6. Install XZDualRecovery 2.7.74 or newer from PC.
  7. In TWRP -> Wipe -> advanced Wipe Tick/Check:
    1. Dalvik-Cache
    2. System
    3. Cache
    4. Data
    Then 'Swipe to Right' to make it happen and go back to the TWRP home screen;
  8. Flash 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290.flashable.zip' in TWRP (if you have an old C6903 flashable package, be sure to flash the patch from post 2 now!)
    NOTE: do not reboot but go back to the main menu, then go to reboot->power off;
  9. Flash everything in 'C69XX_14.2.A.0.290_Stripped.ftf';
  10. Now reboot to system;
  11. Once you get to the language select screen, reboot to TWRP (no need to finish the guide);
  12. Restore the backup of DATA only, when done go back to the TWRP home screen;
  13. In TWRP -> Wipe -> advanced Wipe Tick/Check Dalvik-cache;
  14. Reboot to system.

The first boot will be slow and after a long wait at the boot animation you will see Android start optimizing the apps on your phone.

Video Guide:
NOTE: This guide is based on an older guide which has since been updated a few times, but it will give you a general idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shem2409 View Post
Enjoy!

Known XZDualRecovery Issues:
Busybox Updater/Installer: If you have XZDualRecovery installed, un-install any Busybox updating app/tool as most if not all of them will install a version of busybox which does not support the lzma compression applets XZDualRecovery depends on. The version installed together with XZDualRecovery is very stable and I have yet to hear anyone complain about it's stability.

How to report errors:
Please, before shouting out "It doesn't work!!1!" or "I lost root!" or even "My phone reboots when remounting /system RW!!" try the following:
  • Restore any JB 4.2.2 FTF using any means you are familiar with so you can try again.
  • Root it using any means you are familiar with.
  • Install XZDualRecovery and then try to update again using TWRP.
  • If it still fails something from there on: LOGS!!.
    NOTE: The important ones can be found in /cache/recovery and in /sdcard1/XZDualRecovery, pack them up and send them to me or attach them to your bug report.

Thank you

XDA:DevDB Information
[STOCK][C69XX][4.3] Update to 14.2.A.0.290 [Root & XZDR][LB/UB][16/1/2014], a ROM for the Sony Xperia Z1

Contributors
[NUT]
ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: 14.1.G.1.534 and 14.1.G.2.257
Based On: STOCK

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 16/1/2014
Beta Release Date: 2014-01-16

Created 2013-12-19
Last Updated 2014-01-16

My devices:
Daily driver: Xperia Z (C6603)
Development Phones: Xperia T (LT30p), Xperia Z1 (C6903) Thanks to the XDA community!
Backup: Xperia Arc (LT15i)

My work for the community on XDA:
XZDualRecovery ~ Z1/ZU/Z/ZL DISASTER RECOVERY ~ [DYI Guide]Create a personalized ROM yourself! ~ The definitive root Remount-Reboot fix!

Update your Z1 to KK4.4.2!

My file hosting: http://nut.xperia-files.com/ ~ Please do not mirror my files!
The Following 87 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

[NUT]
Old
(Last edited by [NUT]; 16th January 2014 at 02:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4307

DONATE TO ME
Default ROM Patches

For those who have this ROM installed or downloaded with the mutilated root and 40 second reboot bug in recovery or have it installed with a semi-root situation:

C6903_14.2.A.0.290.patch.zip (8.9MB)

Follow the ROM flash guide in the OP and flash the patch right after flashing the ROM zip.

This will patch your ROM release to have XZDualRecovery BETA (2.7.71). It will patch/fix root as well. It should be small enough to quickly flash using TWRP, as long as you do it right after entering it.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

[NUT]
Old
(Last edited by [NUT]; 16th January 2014 at 02:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4307

DONATE TO ME
Default FAQ & Tips and Tricks

Easy switching between locked and unlocked bootloader states!
NOTE: USE TWRP ONLY for this guide.
NOTE 2: You NEED to have XZDualRecovery 2.7.43 or higher to make this work.
  • Create a backup, including the Trim Area (TA!)
  • Unlock your bootloader
  • Restore backup without TA
  • Create a new backup of your UNLOCKED TA
  • Restore the previous TA backup to relock your phone.

Done

Now you can switch between locked and unlocked bootloaders quick and painless: no more system wipes and you can basically do whatever you want

How to enable init.d support:
Open a filemanager app and navigate to the location where the XZDualRecovery folder is located and go in to it. Open XZDR.prop as a text file and set dr.initd.active to true.

NOTE: For this guide ROM it means the init.d script called 99SuperSUDaemon will kick in to action, so it's best to disable (by setting chmod 644) /system/etc/install-recovery.sh for the time being or to clear it's contents.

Done

Downgrading to a 4.2 ROM:
Download C6903_14.1.G.1.534_[NUT].ftf (Bittorrent: 770MB) and flash it using FlashTool. I've also added the FTF to the downloads page on the DevDB tab, this will allow straight downloads as well.

This FTF will allow you to downgrade to .534 without loss of your IMEI

Thanks to @mharckk and @MohammadAG for the workaround which contributed to the creation of this FTF.

My devices:
Development Phones: Xperia T (LT30p), Xperia Z1 (C6903) Thanks to the XDA community!

XZDualRecovery ~ Z1/ZU/Z/ZL DISASTER RECOVERY ~ [DYI Guide]Create a personalized ROM yourself! ~ The definitive root Remount-Reboot fix!

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheKnux
Old
Thanks Meter 81
About to download and flash now.

[NUT]
Old
Thanks Meter 4307

DONATE TO ME
I'll do a deodex package for this ROM tomorrow, it's late now

My devices:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jackie099
Old
(Last edited by jackie099; 17th December 2013 at 12:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 207

DONATE TO ME
How did u get FULL ROOT dude?
The Following User Says Thank You to jackie099 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

[NUT]
Old
Thanks Meter 4307

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie099 View Post
How did u get FULL ROOT dude?
Please remove the OP quote from your post, thanks

If you have an earlier version to update from, which has been rooted and has recovery, it's not hard to do

My devices:

DAddYE
Old
Thanks Meter 337
Big hugs man. Thanks. Much appreciated!!!

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 493
Hey Man, Good Job. Is this update tweeked to instal apps data to external memory by default?

[NUT]
Old
Thanks Meter 4307

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
Hey Man, Good Job. Is this update tweeked to instal apps data to external memory by default?
Nope, This is really a rooted stock rom with recovery, what you do to it after installing it is entirely up to you

My devices:

Tags
recovery, root, stock, update, xzdualrecovery
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe