[Q] Is there a possibility to build a universal android ROM

Tip us?

bart47
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Is there a possibility to build a universal android ROM

Hello

Here is a little question, is it possible to create a universal android rom.

Today, cyanogenmod allow us to have different flavour of android for many devices. But cyanogenmod is not universal and requires specific hacks for each device.

I know that Android is based on a linux kernel, that kernel should beallow an automatic detection of the devices specifications....

Moreover, Motorola initiates its Ara project. This new concept should be linked to an evolutive version of Android.

Is there anyway to see one day an android repository to upgrade and costumize your phone/phablet/tablet. With an essential package (OS) and options (launcher/Touchwiz....).

An universal evolutive OS should be a way to solve
- android fragmentation.
- security update
- Easy update without formatting your device
- OTA update for all devices (Samsung, Cube, HTC....) even for olders or chinese models

Droid Premium
Old
Thanks Meter 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart47 View Post
Hello

Today, cyanogenmod allow us to have different flavour of android for many devices. But cyanogenmod is not universal and requires specific hacks for each device.

I know that Android is based on a linux kernel, that kernel should beallow an automatic detection of the devices specifications....

Moreover, Motorola initiates its Ara project. This new concept should be linked to an evolutive version of Android.

Is there anyway to see one day an android repository to upgrade and costumize your phone/phablet/tablet. With an essential package (OS) and options (launcher/Touchwiz....).

- android fragmentation.
- security update
- OTA update for all devices (Samsung, Cube, HTC....) even for olders or chinese models
I'm not going to be the one to say its impossible but its very unlikely. Different devices use different modems, kernels, and other system requirements. The CM team may be able to come up with something like that but you won't see it anytime soon if it happens. There are some ROMs out there that are in 1 big AROMA zip file and they all have the same features but the bases meet the requirements of the specific device.

ROMs:
GE-Wiz (FEEL THE BOOM)
Super Jelly (4.2.2)
LegendaryROM[Discontinued]
LegendarySLIM [Discontinued]

-------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------

Irwenzhao
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart47 View Post
Hello

- android fragmentation.
- security update
I doubt it's possibility. Different phones have different kernels/coding for hardware. All Android phones uses Linux kernel, but are coded differently, and that's why we have different/custom kernels. Phones/phablets/tablets have different UIs, which will result in larger updates. Furthermore, u said "essential package" which is hardly possible due to large file size and company issues. For example, Samsung has TouchWiz (and all it's bloatware ), while HTC has Sense (and the bloatwares ), and to stuff everything in a single ROM /Update, it's simply too much. (A update from Samsung would cost 100-300mb, and if what u say is true, OTA updates would cost 600mb~. (Take into account the stock Android launcher.)) I doubt Samsung would like this idea too. Companies like Samsung and HTC have their own launchers to differentiate themselves from others, and if consumers have a choice, they might use other launchers other than their own. (E.g. a Samsung user wants to use Sense, while preserving the Samsung hardware.) Though I would very much like to see this in the future, this is technically impossible. Hoped this explained your question.

Smack that thanks button If I helped!
Always make a nandroid backup before trying anything risky
Sent from my fabulous N7105 powered by Illusion ROM and Plasma Kernel.
Sent from dat small country called Singapore.

P.S. Quote my post for replies ASAP.
Smash that Thanks button if I helped!
KitKat came in on my OmniRom, running on my fabulous Note 2.
Sent from a small country called Singapore.
P.S. Time for school, not much time for XDA.

Critical Detox
Old
(Last edited by Critical Detox; 19th December 2013 at 12:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 100
This is literally impossible, All devices would need to be designed to perform for that rom. Not only that but not a single one of those companies would agree to it. They'd actually attempt to make their own os before doing that, and the reasoning is simple, each company is in this race for themselves not as a team effort. For this to happen would be going the route of IOS, which android is not.

Sent from an Xposed LG-G2/LS-980
The Following User Says Thank You to Critical Detox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]