5,599,190 Members 35,411 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Red eye photos with every night pic

Tip us?

Armyrj127
Old
(Last edited by Armyrj127; 16th December 2013 at 04:14 PM.) Reason: misspelled words
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Red eye photos with every night pic

This phone takes wonderful pictures but at night, I am always getting red eyes on all of my pictures. Is there's Fix to this from stock camera?

mistertek
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyrj127 View Post
This phone takes wonderful pictures but at night, I am always getting red eyes on all of my pictures. Is there's Fix to this from stock camera?
Red eye is caused by having the flash be located too close to the lens. The light bounces off of the retina of your subject and back to the lens. A camera with an external flash separates the flash and the lens by 6 inches or more. That makes the angle too great for light to flash off the retina and back in to the lens.

Why I'm telling you this is because no fix will remove the red eye as you take the photo.

There are two options.
1. Remove the red eye with an app after the fact like PicSay.
2. Use a camera app that has "red eye reduction". This fires a "pre-flash" which makes the subject's iris close a bit so they have tiny pupils which makes it more difficult for light to go in to the eye, reflect off of the retina and back out of the small iris to the camera lens. This usually only minimizes the red eye and still need to perform option 1.