5,598,463 Members 46,523 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone won't connect via ADB

Tip us?
 
nikpmr
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default [Q] Phone won't connect via ADB

Hi all.
I'm trying to S-Off my HTC first, but I can't get the phone to connect to ADB while in debug mode. It connects to ADB fine while in recovery mode, but apparently it needs to be in debug mode for moonshine to work. The phone is unlocked and rooted and I installed the HTC drivers. In the device manager it comes up as an Android device in recovery mode, but as a portable storage device in debug mode.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
 
abrahammmmmmm_
Old
#2  
abrahammmmmmm_'s Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 98
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Salem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpmr View Post
Hi all.
I'm trying to S-Off my HTC first, but I can't get the phone to connect to ADB while in debug mode. It connects to ADB fine while in recovery mode, but apparently it needs to be in debug mode for moonshine to work. The phone is unlocked and rooted and I installed the HTC drivers. In the device manager it comes up as an Android device in recovery mode, but as a portable storage device in debug mode.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Does it show up when typing adb devices in the command prompt?
 
nikpmr
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Oct 2011
Thanks for the reply.
No, not unless the phone is in recovery mode. Fastboot works as well. However when the phone is on and in debug mode I get nothing.
 
abrahammmmmmm_
Old
#4  
abrahammmmmmm_'s Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 98
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Salem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpmr View Post
Thanks for the reply.
No, not unless the phone is in recovery mode. Fastboot works as well. However when the phone is on and in debug mode I get nothing.
Hmmm sounds like what happened to me once it was a frustrating situation but all that was needed was an update to the ADB drivers for the device. Sadly I'm away from my computer right now so it'll be a while until I can actually whip something up to help you, sorry
 
killall-q
Old
#5  
killall-q's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 70
Join Date: Mar 2011
Try to force ADB to redetect with adb kill-server.
 
nikpmr
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahammmmmmm_ View Post
Hmmm sounds like what happened to me once it was a frustrating situation but all that was needed was an update to the ADB drivers for the device. Sadly I'm away from my computer right now so it'll be a while until I can actually whip something up to help you, sorry
Okay, let me know when you have some time. Thanks again!
I tried the kill-server command to no avail. The computer just plain doesn't recognize it as an Android device. I will try on my Linux computer and see if that makes any difference.
 
abrahammmmmmm_
Old
#7  
abrahammmmmmm_'s Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 98
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Salem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpmr View Post
Okay, let me know when you have some time. Thanks again!
I tried the kill-server command to no avail. The computer just plain doesn't recognize it as an Android device. I will try on my Linux computer and see if that makes any difference.
Is your computer windows 7, 8 x32 or x64bit? I can probably do it today if you've got a windows 7 x64bit computer since I wont have to do much looking
 
nikpmr
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Oct 2011
I'm running win 7 64 bit. Thanks again for your help!
 
abrahammmmmmm_
Old
#9  
abrahammmmmmm_'s Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 98
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Salem
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpmr View Post
I'm running win 7 64 bit. Thanks again for your help!
NOTE THAT YOUR PHONE SHOULD NOT BE CONNECTED DURING THIS PROCESS
I already searched & set up the update folder so you don't have to do all the dirty work d:\

Ok Well I'm just going to make this quick and not really got through the basics like how to unzip things because if you don't know how to do that you probably shouldn't be trying to get s-off on your phone anyway so I'll just assume you already know how.

Step 1. open control panel select hardware and sound and open Device Manager with the administrative logo one the side.
Step 2. Near the top or somewhere on this list there's supposed to be a drop down that reads "adb devices, adb android, adb, android, adb drivers etc. Mine shows Android USB Devices it actually just varies based on computer I can't really go to the specifics of it but I'm sure you can find it.
Step 3. Select that dropdown menu and right click whatever shows (there should only be one thing) and then select Update Driver Software and choose the option that says Browse my computer for driver software and locate the htc drivers folder which should already be unzipped, select the whole folder and have the option to include subfolders checked. click next or whatever it says to finish
Step 3 Now you must remove your device from the Portable Devices dropdown menu to ensure all drivers are detected for the phone, to do this right click on HTC First and just select remove, wait until it's done. and now just reconnect your device and let all the drivers install and it should now be done!

Make sure you look at the screenshots I attached to make sure you don't accidentally remove or update something else also because that's where the drivers folder is an i'm pretty sure you'll need that

A reboot of the computer is recommended btw

Ask questions if you have any

Click image for larger version

Name:	adb update.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2459140
HTC_drivers_Win7_x64.zip
Click image for larger version

Name:	phone removal.PNG
Views:	36
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2459141
The Following User Says Thank You to abrahammmmmmm_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
nikpmr
Old
#10  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Oct 2011
Wow, that's quite explanatory, thank you! Unfortunately I only see the category ADB Devices when the phone is connected and in recovery mode, and I only see the category Portable Devices when the phone is connected, booted, and in debug mode. (Neither of these categories are visible when the phone is disconnected from the computer.) I did however try installing the drivers you gave me with the phone connected and in recovery mode, but to no avail; after the phone boots ADB Devices disappears and Portable Devices appears. Uninstalling Portable Devices doesn't help either; it just reinstalls when I reconnect the phone.

I am trying to get the category ADB Devices to appear in the Device manager when the phone is turned on and in debug mode so that I can use ADB while the phone is booted.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes