5,604,730 Members 34,371 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S II AT&T i777 had charging problems, now won't turn on

Tip us?

aptbosox
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Samsung Galaxy S II AT&T i777 had charging problems, now won't turn on

Hi all,
I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 2 (i777). It was rooted and running CM 10.1. A few months ago it started to have charging/USB port issues. Some of the symptoms:
-Sporadic charging (starting and stopping)
-Required USB jiggling to get it to start charging
-Sometimes wouldn't charge at all until it died, then would eventually charge while powered off
-Would not shutdown (only reboot, even if the battery was removed)
-Randomly started "car mode"

My initial thoughts on this were USB port issues. After doing some research on people with similar problems, I tried cleaning the port with alcohol, toothbrush, compressed air, etc. No avail.

Eventually the phone just stopped charging altogether. At this point, if I left it plugged in, it would sit in a continuous boot loop (boot, get to lock screen, realize it has no juice, shutdown, rinse, repeat). After a few days of attempting to charge and just having that happen, it went black and has never turned on since.

To try to solve that, I bought a new USB port flex cable on eBay and replaced it, assuming this would solve all my USB port issues. I tried to be as ESD safe as possible and also not break anything in the phone, but after replacing the board, it still wouldn't boot.

Next step- bought a new battery with an external charger to skip the USB port altogether and see if the battery was shot. Charged up the new battery, popped it in, nothing.

I'm at a total loss. If it started as a charging problem, I don't see how the problem could have been anywhere but the flex cable board or the battery. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going wrong? I would REALLY appreciate some insight.

Thanks!

122ninjas
Old
Thanks Meter 945
Default Re: [Q] Samsung Galaxy S II AT&T i777 had charging problems, now won't turn on

Maybe the repeated loops damage it

Sent from my GS4 running CM11 Kandy Kane
Galaxy S 4, Running CM11 Kandy Kane

swsl
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptbosox View Post
Hi all,
I have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 2 (i777). I

Eventually the phone just stopped charging altogether. At this point, if I left it plugged in, it would sit in a continuous boot loop (boot, get to lock screen, realize it has no juice, shutdown, rinse, repeat). After a few days of attempting to charge and just having that happen, it went black and has never turned on since.

To try to solve that, I bought a new USB port flex cable on eBay and replaced it, assuming this would solve all my USB port issues. I tried to be as ESD safe as possible and also not break anything in the phone, but after replacing the board, it still wouldn't boot.

Next step- bought a new battery with an external charger to skip the USB port altogether and see if the battery was shot. Charged up the new battery, popped it in, nothing.

I'm at a total loss. If it started as a charging problem, I don't see how the problem could have been anywhere but the flex cable board or the battery. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be going wrong? I would REALLY appreciate some insight.

Thanks!

Did you ever find a solution? I'm in the no charge boot loop after letting it die last night.
I have not seen previous usb problems at all. I suspect that my battery got over-drained, but then I've got the same symptoms as you and you have a new battery. I can get it into recovery but t won't stay on in CWM for long enough to fix permissions, which is the only thing I've tried so far in CWM.

Thanks

Rushaan™
Old
Thanks Meter 33
If i was in your place i'd have taken it to the nearest Samsung Service center and let them fix it for me.
I think the fluctuation in power may have damaged your phone battery point from where it takes power from the battery and charge it.
Maybe it has damaged the motherboard.
We cannot say anything in this situation.
You should just take it to your nearest service center.

Best of Luck

swsl
Old
(Last edited by swsl; 12th April 2013 at 04:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Default OK, wiping Data fixed it.

Thanks for your reply. This problem just started this morning with no previous issues, doing the looping part of your problem that I quoted. so it's not a question of what I might have done.
But, for others encountering my part of it, here's what I've done and learned so far today.

As I looked into things elsewhere on the , it seemed to be a software problem. Luckily, I have another Galaxy (Exhibit) that's similar battery and I was able to put the charged battery from it into the SII. The SII booted and worked fine but did not charge. I put the SII battery into the Exhibit (sorta fits). It took a charge.

This confirmed to me that it's not the battery. It must be the phone perhaps USB port or more likely "firmware" since problem started abruptly after draining battery down.
I then wiped data on the SII from CWM/recovery and rebooted.
SII is now charging again. Stock battery is back in and working.

Time will tell if all is well, but here's what I think happened:
1) battery drained down to zero while unplugged
2) plugging in and starting up phone immediately threw something off in the battery stats at a low level...that kept it from charging even when turned off. Or rather threw it into a loop. Don't really understand this stuff, but may have to do with physical things that happen in a battery when the cells drop down way low and then the voltage feedback they give to charging circuit.
3) charging battery in another device (gingerbread, by the way) got the battery out of this, if battery had been a contributing factor,(or just a trigger) it was back over the hump.
4) wiping data fixed the charging, so I conclude it was a charging circuit data issue triggered by an ultra low battery.

Hope I'm over this problem and hope that it helps somebody else. If you run into this yourself with no previous USB or hardware issues, I'd suspect software before hardware. If I had only one battery and no way to charge it externally, I would suggest get one of those simple universal clip-on chargers to bring the battery back up and then go into CWM and wipe data.

UPDATE: It's stopped charging again. It's no longer looping since I got the battery charged up, but not right either. As soon as I plug it into a USB, it boots itself without powering on.
I guess that this is looking more like a physical USB issue now. Weird that there's been no previous sign of trouble before today.

UPDATE2: I cleaned USB port but no help. Then I bent the USB contacts towards the screen and it is charging now again. I'm ordering a replacement USB.

I should add that I'm running Shostock Jellybean, older (not current) version with it's associated Jeboo kernel. Don't know if it matters.

Tweaker7376
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I wish I'd seen your post sooner.. I had exactly the same problems back in January. Took all the same steps you did. In the end, an 8$ USB flex cable from EBay solved the problem. I think you'll have luck with that:thumbup:

Sent from my Slimbeaned Sgh-I777 (unbricked x4 )
The Following User Says Thank You to Tweaker7376 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

igayan1991
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hey, I'm experiencing the same issue slightly different.

-Sporadic charging (starting and stopping)
-Randomly started "car mode"
-plugged in the charger while the device is switched off, it automatically turns the device on.
-If the cable still plugged in while the charger removed from the main current, it shows "Charging stopped. High voltage"

-From yesterday, it doesn't charge even. Only way to charge is, connect the charger first and then Restart the device.
Then only charging continuous.

Can anyone help to solve this? Is this a software issue?
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 04:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

Also, there was this issue early --> when I charge it from the laptop, the USB mode doesn't switch on. It just charge the phone only.

But now it's not even working like that.

mmystere68
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker7376 View Post
I wish I'd seen your post sooner.. I had exactly the same problems back in January. Took all the same steps you did. In the end, an 8$ USB flex cable from EBay solved the problem. I think you'll have luck with that:thumbup:

Which flex cable you bought exactly...plz give me the link...i badly need one...thx
Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012) 8Gb ROM: SmoothRom 5.3 (JB 4.3.1)
Phone : Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-i777 (unlocked) ROM: Shostock3 v4.0 (JB 4.1.2)

Tweaker7376
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmystere68 View Post
Which flex cable you bought exactly...plz give me the link...i badly need one...thx
Hey bro.. I've been offline forever.. Did you ever get what you needed?? I can pm you some info

mlacson29
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Hey bro.. I've been offline forever.. Did you ever get what you needed?? I can pm you some info
Quote:

hi, my s2 wont charge. It just shows up charging when plugged in but it doesnt charge at all. and it overheats too much while plugged in. What is that flex cable you said, is it the one that connects the charging port to the motherboard? were you the one opened and replaced it? thanks