5,604,730 Members 32,085 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone whose Moto G doesn't rattle cheaply when vibrating?

Tip us?

LudicrousPeed
Old
(Last edited by LudicrousPeed; 19th December 2013 at 12:28 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Service Anyone whose Moto G doesn't rattle cheaply when vibrating?

This thread is just to determine if it's more common for the Moto G to have the cheap-sounding rattle for a vibration (especially noticeable when vibrate-on-touch is enabled) haptic feedback is on), or if that is a less common but not rare exception. Sound off on how your haptic feedback sounds. Recordings welcome!

Mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT8ehijOn_g

(EDIT) I've read elsewhere of someone saying their Moto X all of a sudden started sounding like this rather than a smooth, quiet vibration. Almost as if this is a result of a poorly attached vibration motor or one that has become slightly detached.

SeannyM
Old
Thanks Meter 1115
My vibration sounds nothing like that. Mine vibrates nicely, a lot better than the other phone's I've had.
This is my signature. I hope you enjoyed wasting your time reading this pointless message.

LudicrousPeed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeannyM View Post
My vibration sounds nothing like that. Mine vibrates nicely, a lot better than the other phone's I've had.
Is yours the US verison? Mine is US 16gb

karthikus
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Hi. I have the US version and i have this issue !

Jooosty
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Yeah that doesn't sound normal.

Mines sounds cheap but not like a rattle.

Sent from my MOTO G!!!
HTC ULTIMEIGHT!

jmoore4294
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Mine rattles slightly. But it seems to only be for short vibrations like haptic feedback on the keyboard. Longer vibrations like for notifications, it sounds completely normal. The biggest issue I'm having with the G is some light bleed on the LCD screen. But even that is barely noticeable.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

LudicrousPeed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooosty View Post
Yeah that doesn't sound normal.

Mines sounds cheap but not like a rattle.

Sent from my MOTO G!!!
That recording was with the microphone right up against the phone.I made a new recording (I've replaced the original with it) that is maybe a better representation, from a couple inches away instead. It's just so loud. I guess you get what you pay for, and that's one of the cheap components. Although I've read elsewhere of someone saying their Moto X all of a sudden started sounding like this rather than a smooth, quiet vibration. Almost as if this is a result of a poorly attached vibration motor or one that has become slightly detached.

Psychoferno
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Mine is ok. I have the Brazil version 16G (dual sim).

jfinnie
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudicrousPeed View Post
That recording was with the microphone right up against the phone.I made a new recording (I've replaced the original with it) that is maybe a better representation, from a couple inches away instead. It's just so loud. I guess you get what you pay for, and that's one of the cheap components. Although I've read elsewhere of someone saying their Moto X all of a sudden started sounding like this rather than a smooth, quiet vibration. Almost as if this is a result of a poorly attached vibration motor or one that has become slightly detached.
I took a phone apart (and then returned it's sorry self to Tesco lol)...
The vibration motor is not loose to the board - it is soldered firmly.
The weight is fixed to the shaft of the motor correctly. I attached bits of blutack to the weight - no difference.
The shaft of the motor to which the weight is attached can move up / down a little.
The motor is located right next to the camera, which has moving parts in it (you can hear this on exiting a camera app - an audible click). I wonder if the motor is making something in the camera rattle.

The rattle still happens with the back of the phone and PCB cover removed - so it is something contained in the front part of the phone. To me it sounds more like the vibrate is making the earpiece speaker click.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfinnie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LudicrousPeed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinnie View Post
I took a phone apart (and then returned it's sorry self to Tesco lol)...
The vibration motor is not loose to the board - it is soldered firmly.
The weight is fixed to the shaft of the motor correctly. I attached bits of blutack to the weight - no difference.
The shaft of the motor to which the weight is attached can move up / down a little.
The motor is located right next to the camera, which has moving parts in it (you can hear this on exiting a camera app - an audible click). I wonder if the motor is making something in the camera rattle.

The rattle still happens with the back of the phone and PCB cover removed - so it is something contained in the front part of the phone. To me it sounds more like the vibrate is making the earpiece speaker click.
Nicely done! I think you've narrowed it down as far as possible. The answer then is that on at least most devices (since some owners say theirs is perfectly quiet) either the vibration motor is just of poor, toy quality, or there are loose somethings in the camera or elsewhere that get rattled. Thanks for figuring out that it's not the motor itself.

Tags
cheap, defect, rattle, vibrate, vibration