XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bought a "new" note 3 from ebay...

Tip us?

jackler1
Old
(Last edited by jackler1; 17th December 2013 at 11:59 PM.) Reason: typing error
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Bought a "new" note 3 from ebay...

Supposedly untouched brand new in box "unlocked". When I went to give it the ol rootaroo found the knox at 0x1. So here is my question.
Other than screwing me out of the warranty, what other problems will this cause me?
It's a tmobile. What happens when kit kat comes along, or any other update, am I going to be able to update? As of now, there are no roms, so I am stuck with what samsung sends down the pike and if I cant even get that then what good is the phone. I put in an open case, but if it's not going to screw me up too bad, I might just keep it. However, at 649, for another 50 I can buy one straight from tmobile. Should I return it?

Regards,

J

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1241

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackler1 View Post
Supposedly untouched brand new in box "unlocked". When I went to give it the ol rootaroo found the knox at 0x1. So here is my question.
Other than screwing me out of the warranty, what other problems will this cause me?
It's a tmobile. What happens when kit kat comes along, or any other update, am I going to be able to update? As of now, there are no roms, so I am stuck with what samsung sends down the pike and if I cant even get that then what good is the phone. I put in an open case, but if it's not going to screw me up too bad, I might just keep it. However, at 649, for another 50 I can buy one straight from tmobile. Should I return it?

Regards,

J

Aside from the warranty which you have mentioned, Not a lot else except KNOX functions (which unless you use for company purposes is useless to the every day user 99% of the time) -

As for returning it, it's up to you, if you feel you have been tricked into buying a phone with no warranty and mis sold, then return it
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Liquid // UBER //
// Note 3 (SM-N9005) // AOSP ROM of variety // Lean or temasek's Kernel // - Dumped. No more Samsung

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 494
It was misrepresented as "new" so you do have an option to return. Hopefully you paid via paypal or a secure way as I wouldn't trust them to return the monies voluntarily.
If You Disagree Or Think I'm Wrong, Look Closer At My Avatar...

Andrewtst
Old
Thanks Meter 1255

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackler1 View Post

Regards,

J
It is not new. Return.

And don't buy electrical things at eBay unless you want to take risk.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | | Kernel: Stock | ROM: X-Note 13.0 v4.4.2 KitKat - XXUENC2
Future Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Ex. Phone: Nokia 3310, Samsung S500, Nokia 7610, 7270, 7280, SE K750, Nokia N73, LG Viewty KU990, Samsung Pixon, UltraTOUCH, OMNIA II, Nokia 3120 Classic, Google Nexus One, Samsung Galaxy S II, S III, Sony Xperia Z, Z Ultra

Tablet: Sony Xperia Tablet Z | ROM: v4.3 - 10.4.B.0.577
Future Tablet: Still Finding

Ex. Tablet: Google Nexus 10

cstone1991
Old
Thanks Meter 132
A friend recently bought what was supposed to be a used, unlocked AT&T S3 on Amazon, to use on T-Mobile. When she got it I discovered that it is actually a T-Mobile S3. She had problems getting any data connection on it and after speaking with T-Mobile tech support for a few days they ran her IMEI and said they would honor the warranty, she explained that she bought it from a 3rd party and that they said that it doesn't have a warranty but the tech said not to worry, it is covered by the manufacturer. T-Mobile is currently sending her another S3 at no cost.

Sent from my S3 using whatever is in the chamber...

jackler1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Aside from the warranty which you have mentioned, Not a lot else except KNOX functions (which unless you use for company purposes is useless to the every day user 99% of the time) -

As for returning it, it's up to you, if you feel you have been tricked into buying a phone with no warranty and mis sold, then return it
So are you saying that should updates come, such as kit kat, I will have no problems getting said updates?

I just want to make sure the phone isn't locked out from updates, won't care if I ever get roms.....

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1241

DONATE TO ME
Yeah you'll get updates, if you're rooted you won't get them via OTA though. You'll have to use KIES or flash via ODIN. Not really a massive task tbh

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Liquid // UBER //
// Note 3 (SM-N9005) // AOSP ROM of variety // Lean or temasek's Kernel // - Dumped. No more Samsung

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
.... and you'll probably get those updates much faster here on XDA than you will via OTA updates anyway!
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2]Stock N900UBUDNB2 FEB 14, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNA1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13