XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't get Nexus 7 to show up on computer

Tip us?

un1bomber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Can't get Nexus 7 to show up on computer

Shows up on my laptop but not on my desktop, have tried back and front USB ports

have uninstalled USB drivers, reinstalled USB drivers (universal adbdriversetup6 downloaded from xda sources)

downloaded android SDK manager and installed whatever USB stuff it had there

used USBdeview to remove any nexus 7 related things and then re-install USB drivers

Cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on... can anyone help me please

When I plug it in my desktop it makes the sound like something got connected... even has the safely remove hardware thing with nexus 7 there, but nothing in my computer

also have tried with/without USB debugging

tried removing my rom and flashing stock etc

Nothing has worked so far

un1bomber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
and yes forgot to put in the title but this is for the Nexus 7FHD 2013

sfhub
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6796
Is there a chance you are using usb3.0 port and can switch to usb2.0?

I would suggest you backup, flash stock, and redo your driver deinstall/install on stock. Try to get it working there first. Make sure USB debugging is disable on stock.
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s
The Following User Says Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

un1bomber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Is there a chance you are using usb3.0 port and can switch to usb2.0?

I would suggest you backup, flash stock, and redo your driver deinstall/install on stock. Try to get it working there first. Make sure USB debugging is disable on stock.
tried USB 3.0 as well as 2.0 on desktop doesnt work, shows up as a device on safely remove hardware, and I can also see it under other devices in hardware manager or whatever but doesnt display in computer

USB debugging enabled or disabled on stock doesn't work.. tried going back to stock and doing driver installation etc as well

sfhub
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6796
In device manager are there any unknown devices?
Disclaimer: No touchscreens were harmed nor injured during the creation of this post. GPS units were all treated ethically and humanely.
Signed: People against misbehaving Nexus 7 2013s
The Following User Says Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jrpbulk
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Did you remember to

Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
When you uninstall the driver, make sure you check the option to DELETE the driver as well. Otherwise when you try to reinstall it, it will just reinstall the old driver again
The Following User Says Thank You to jrpbulk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RR215
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Driver instal with WinXP

I went around with this problem after both my Win7 laptop and WinXP desktop both recognized my N7 2013 the first time I connected to them. I had no problem dragging and dropping files.

I had then returned the tab back to BB for a exchange for another. This time after setting up the tab and setting the MTP file toggle and USB settings correctly......The Win7 laptop worked find and recognized the N7 just like it did on the first tab. But now the WinXP desktop did not work and only saw the N7 as a ABD device.

You may already have the correct drivers (if not those are available here in several posts). You just have to direct windows driver update to the correct place for the MTP driver. Here is how i did it.

1. Open up the Device Manager on your PC and locate the Android device it sees. Select the update driver option and you get to the "Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard" screen.

2. In this window it asks "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?" Select the 3rd option ' No, not at this time"

3. In the next window "This wizard helps you install software for...." Select the 2nd option "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)

4. In the "Please choose your search and installation options" window... go down to the bottom and select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install" option.

5. Now finally the window we need..... "Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware" The "show compatible hardware" button should be selected...if not check that box. You should see 2 choices in the "Model" area..... Google Nexus ADB Interface" and what we need to select " MTP Device" click on the MTP Device and hit next......it should install and your Nexus 7 should then show up properly.

Hope this works for all that have had a hard time as I did....I just found it odd after getting a replacement N7 my XP desktop did not recognize it as it did to the original one I used the day prior.
The Following User Says Thank You to RR215 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hnk1
Old
Thanks Meter 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1bomber View Post
Shows up on my laptop but not on my desktop, have tried back and front USB ports

have uninstalled USB drivers, reinstalled USB drivers (universal adbdriversetup6 downloaded from xda sources)

downloaded android SDK manager and installed whatever USB stuff it had there

used USBdeview to remove any nexus 7 related things and then re-install USB drivers

Cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on... can anyone help me please

When I plug it in my desktop it makes the sound like something got connected... even has the safely remove hardware thing with nexus 7 there, but nothing in my computer

also have tried with/without USB debugging

tried removing my rom and flashing stock etc

Nothing has worked so far
Just go in settings then storage and then computer usb connection by opening preferences in storage and then make sure mtp is checked.
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

DO YOU WANT A TUTORIAL/GUIDE THAT HAS BEEN NOT WRITTEN OR COULD BE EXPLAINED IN DETAILS PM ME AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY KNOWLEDGE

BUYING A NEW DEVICE. READ THIS GUIDE FIRST

CONTACT ME ON BBM

BBM PIN : 74620ff5
The Following User Says Thank You to Hnk1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

un1bomber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you guys SO MUCH for the help... I actually just returned my unit to staples because those POS wont give me a price adjustment vs google play

Will buy another one from google play and follow steps in the thread!

Hnk1
Old
Thanks Meter 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1bomber View Post
Thank you guys SO MUCH for the help... I actually just returned my unit to staples because those POS wont give me a price adjustment vs google play

Will buy another one from google play and follow steps in the thread!
We are always here to help.
I remember few years back I installed miui ROM on my xperia n couldn't connect to PC , only to realise USB wasn't turned to mtp by default. I thought it was a bug, tried everything even to fix it only to realise this.
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED

DO YOU WANT A TUTORIAL/GUIDE THAT HAS BEEN NOT WRITTEN OR COULD BE EXPLAINED IN DETAILS PM ME AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO SHARE MY KNOWLEDGE

BUYING A NEW DEVICE. READ THIS GUIDE FIRST

CONTACT ME ON BBM

BBM PIN : 74620ff5