[Q] +rep Help With Sprint Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 Tried to Root!?

Search This thread

garrett.burn

Dec 18, 2013
Hey Guys,
I have read a burch of different threads about my problem and nothing has seemed to help or it was too advanced for me to understand. So here it is:
I tried to root my S3 and at first Oden 307 said the root failed, then i was able to try a different file and it said pass. but now when it boots up it gets stuck on the samsung galaxy s3 screen. I can still get into download mode and recovery mode. I have already tried the factory reset in recovery mode. Please help I have only had this phone a month. At this point I dont even care rooted or not I just want my phone back lol

Thanks for any help
+rep

BIGSAMDA1ST

Nov 29, 2012
Brooklyn,Ny..
Hey Guys,
I have read a burch of different threads about my problem and nothing has seemed to help or it was too advanced for me to understand. So here it is:
I tried to root my S3 and at first Oden 307 said the root failed, then i was able to try a different file and it said pass. but now when it boots up it gets stuck on the samsung galaxy s3 screen. I can still get into download mode and recovery mode. I have already tried the factory reset in recovery mode. Please help I have only had this phone a month. At this point I dont even care rooted or not I just want my phone back lol

Thanks for any help
+rep

First you need to tell us which build you were on, and then what build did you try flashing...

GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget...

Reactions: garrett.burn

FallenZen

Apr 23, 2011
BIGSAMDA1st, can I call you "Sam?" Your post count would indicate you've got more experience than I do so I thought I'd ask: aren't all the Sprint S3s on the MK3 build by default? Or are there inconsistencies within the Sprint-branded line of S3s?

Oh man. At least you've still got access to the download console. Can you also access the recovery console? Also, sounds like you're new to rooting (I could be wrong, just going on your comment about certain techniques being too advanced for you to wrap your head around). If you're new, you really picked both one hell of a time and one hell of a phone to cut your teeth on. Samsung's official 4.3 update (which, for all I know, is shipped standard now) comes with the KNOX bootloader which is, in certain situations, basically a bomb designed to ruin your week... and your phone. In particular, it has a REALLY nasty reaction to attempts at downgrading to the old (and much happier) bootloader. It also seems to really hate the older versions of TriangleAway (might hate the new one too, for all I know. I won't touch it anymore). It has other ways to make you hate life as well, but those are two big ones.

How to tell if you have the KNOX bootloader: Did you install the official OTA update to 4.3? If so, you've got the bomb. Did your phone come with 4.3 right out of the box? If so, you've probably got the bomb. Are you still unsure? Look in your Download console for red text that says something like "Warranty Void Bit" or anything that mentions KNOX. If so, you guessed it, you've got the bomb.

If you have the Warranty Void thing listed, then check to see: is it a 0, or is it a 1? If it's a zero, don't do anything else with trying to flash your ROM or root the device until we try some things in your Recovery Console (assuming it's also accessible). Once that flag is tripped, there's no going back... Not a huge deal if it's just a personal device, assuming you're not still under warranty... If you are, well, don't trip that bugger if you can avoid it.

Reactions: garrett.burn

garrett.burn

Dec 18, 2013
BIGSAMDA1st, can I call you "Sam?" Your post count would indicate you've got more experience than I do so I thought I'd ask: aren't all the Sprint S3s on the MK3 build by default? Or are there inconsistencies within the Sprint-branded line of S3s?

Oh man. At least you've still got access to the download console. Can you also access the recovery console? Also, sounds like you're new to rooting (I could be wrong, just going on your comment about certain techniques being too advanced for you to wrap your head around). If you're new, you really picked both one hell of a time and one hell of a phone to cut your teeth on. Samsung's official 4.3 update (which, for all I know, is shipped standard now) comes with the KNOX bootloader which is, in certain situations, basically a bomb designed to ruin your week... and your phone. In particular, it has a REALLY nasty reaction to attempts at downgrading to the old (and much happier) bootloader. It also seems to really hate the older versions of TriangleAway (might hate the new one too, for all I know. I won't touch it anymore). It has other ways to make you hate life as well, but those are two big ones.

How to tell if you have the KNOX bootloader: Did you install the official OTA update to 4.3? If so, you've got the bomb. Did your phone come with 4.3 right out of the box? If so, you've probably got the bomb. Are you still unsure? Look in your Download console for red text that says something like "Warranty Void Bit" or anything that mentions KNOX. If so, you guessed it, you've got the bomb.

If you have the Warranty Void thing listed, then check to see: is it a 0, or is it a 1? If it's a zero, don't do anything else with trying to flash your ROM or root the device until we try some things in your Recovery Console (assuming it's also accessible). Once that flag is tripped, there's no going back... Not a huge deal if it's just a personal device, assuming you're not still under warranty... If you are, well, don't trip that bugger if you can avoid it.

First thing is THANK YOU and as i am a noob, where is the +rep button for you? Second and maybe you could help with this, since I posted this I was able to flash back to the official 4.3 :/ so I got my phone back but made my life harder in the process...I got clockwork recovery working and I was able to flash KNOX app remover .zip and I flashed team epic v5..it said everything was installed I rebooted and Im stll not rooted..Supersu says something about not having binary something another and root checker says I dont have root access. According to the step by step I followed I should be rooted :/ Any advise other than nex time dont upgrade to 4.3? lol
-Thanks Bro

garrett.burn

Dec 18, 2013
First you need to tell us which build you were on, and then what build did you try flashing...

GS4 Stock Rooted MJA 4.3,Philz Touch CWM,HotSpot Mod,Transparent Weather Widget...

Im not quite sure what you are looking for but it says "Build Number JSS15J.L10VPUCMK3" And its a GS3 4.3 Model SPH-L710
Thanks for the reply

FallenZen

Apr 23, 2011
Hey mate,
I'm not familiar with the method of rooting 4.3 that you used. I'm glad to hear you got around the soft brick though! As far as running a rooted 4.3, I can tell you that what I wound up using was CNexus's pre-rooted ROM and the various fixes (s)he's compiled here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541900

I've also shared my personal installation notes as well as hosted the files that worked for me on my Google Drive. That information is here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2560478&page=3

You shouldn't need the files I've got hosted on my Drive though... The ones CNexus has assembled in that thread should work just fine (that's where I got most of them, after all).

I cannot speak to whether or not any of the steps in my notes will trip your KNOX Warranty Void bit since I tripped mine (and damn near hard-bricked my phone) before I even knew what the KNOX bootloader was, let alone that Samsung had gone ahead and installed it for me.

I hope that helps.
-Zen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for any help
    +rep