Gear To Device Communication

Tip us?

taylordw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt Gear To Device Communication

Hi All,
I'm very new to app development. I have created an app on my Note3 and a client on the Gear but im not sure how to get them talking. Does any one know if there is a Samsung api for doing this or can I just use BLE. Also does any one have a good BLE tutorial?

Thanks in advance.

Brendo
Old
Thanks Meter 408

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylordw View Post
Hi All,
I'm very new to app development. I have created an app on my Note3 and a client on the Gear but im not sure how to get them talking. Does any one know if there is a Samsung api for doing this or can I just use BLE. Also does any one have a good BLE tutorial?

Thanks in advance.
We are still waiting for sdk to be released
Samsung Galaxy S IV (i9505) | 16GB
[ROM: Stock JB 4.3 | XXUEML6 | MODEM GSM/LTE: XXUEML4/XXUBMH1 | BL: PRE-KNOX | K: AUSDIM | RECOVERY: PhilZ]
DOMINATION | XPOSED

OTHER DEVICES:

Google Nexus 5 | 32GB

Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (P7310) | 32Gb

[ROM: Jellybean 4.3 | CM10.2 | CPU: 1.4ghz]

Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1 (T520) | 16Gb

Pebble (Kickstarter)
Galaxy Gear (Null_)
Google Glass (Explorer)
--------
My Android Downloads
--------
OPTUS Post Paid | 3 UK PAYG | Orange France Pre Paid

appelflap
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylordw View Post
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
I don't see how you could use Bluetooth protocols for this kind of architecture. You can try to open a Bluetoothsocket and use your own script language to do the talking. http://developer.android.com/referen...othSocket.html

But I would wait for a SDK. Sony also has a SDK for their watches. It makes developing a lot easier with intent-based APIs

surlydre
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default BluetoothSocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by appelflap View Post
I don't see how you could use Bluetooth protocols for this kind of architecture. You can try to open a Bluetoothsocket and use your own script language to do the talking.

But I would wait for a SDK. Sony also has a SDK for their watches. It makes developing a lot easier with intent-based APIs
Thanks for the pointer, that works!

On the watch:
Code:
BluetoothAdapter btAdapter = BluetoothAdapter.getDefaultAdapter();
BluetoothServerSocket bss = btAdapter.listenUsingRfcommWithServiceRecord("Test", UUID.fromString("c3f10dc0-677b-11e3-949a-0800200c9a66"));
BluetoothSocket bs = bss.accept();
byte[] buf = new byte[1024];
InputStream is = bs.getInputStream();
int read = is.read(buf);
is.close();
bs.close();
On the phone:
Code:
BluetoothAdapter btAdapter = BluetoothAdapter.getDefaultAdapter();
Set<BluetoothDevice> devices = btAdapter.getBondedDevices();
BluetoothDevice device = devices.iterator().next();
BluetoothSocket bs = device.createRfcommSocketToServiceRecord(UUID.fromString("c3f10dc0-677b-11e3-949a-0800200c9a66"));
bs.connect();
bs.getOutputStream().write("Hello!".getBytes("UTF-8"));
bs.getOutputStream().flush();
bs.getOutputStream().close();
bs.close();
This is just an example, but it works. Does anyone know if the the Bluetooth GATT APIs might be a better fit, and whether they might be able to control the lifecycle of the app on the watch?
The Following User Says Thank You to surlydre For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]