Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,116 Members 43,757 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T-Mobile software update - not Kit Kat

Tip us?

Howie Dub
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoutures View Post
Eh I don't know, the WiFi connects much faster and WiFi Calling connects even when screen off and holds connection far better. Before I would have to wake device to get WiFi Calling to connect even if the WiFi was connected anytime it first would connect to an in range network.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
I wonder if the update is different than the firmware from LG? I installed 10g directly from LG and still have WiFi Calling issues where it disconnects when the phone sleeps and calls don't come through.

ILLHYHL
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I dont get why its taking this long to get kit kat on our phones.

I have a friend who is korean, and he said they came out with the kit kat not long after the phone came out in Korea...

Sent from LG G2

DornoDiosMio
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanschuette View Post
You need to change the fingerprint in your build.prop to match the new update. If someone could screenshot the section
I could write up a little guide.
Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk
I think I could figure out how to do this, if only I knew what the fingerprint of the update was. If you figure it out make sure to update and let us know!

I don't want to take the update as I'm running the Energy rom on a D800 with TWRP, so, always a chance it may break something.

I did reset google services framework data for now and that removed notification, but, of course it will be back in time.
The Following User Says Thank You to DornoDiosMio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

qpinto
Old
Thanks Meter 27
i did the upgrade this morning. Wifi connectivity is faster, data seems more reliable so far. phone feels a little snappier. the settings menu's are grouped now compared to before. also when streaming music via bluetooth, if I get ANY NOTIFICATION with sound it stops playing music and doesnt resume again until i go into pandora or play music and press play manually. Its kinda like how the sgs3 and sgs4 stop the music for a text and then continue but this one doesnt continue. this also applies to streaming bluetooth audio and scrolling through instagram. this big did NOT exist before this update.

Im really temped to go back to the original shipped software just because of that audio stopping being annoying.

ILLHYHL
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpinto View Post
i did the upgrade this morning. Wifi connectivity is faster, data seems more reliable so far. phone feels a little snappier. the settings menu's are grouped now compared to before. also when streaming music via bluetooth, if I get ANY NOTIFICATION with sound it stops playing music and doesnt resume again until i go into pandora or play music and press play manually. Its kinda like how the sgs3 and sgs4 stop the music for a text and then continue but this one doesnt continue. this also applies to streaming bluetooth audio and scrolling through instagram. this big did NOT exist before this update.

Im really temped to go back to the original shipped software just because of that audio stopping being annoying.
I decided to stay pre-ota until official kit kat rolls out.
Since this is very minor update, also keeping in mind with some other problems with the update that ive read about, i didnt want to get rid of twrp, get the ota, and spend hours setting my phone up the way i like it...

Honestly, i currently have great battery life, phone is fast enough for me, and i never had any sort of knock on issues that other people have mentioned in this thread.

So... yea. Im staying

Sent from LG G2

DornoDiosMio
Old
(Last edited by DornoDiosMio; 12th January 2014 at 05:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 36
I think this should work to disable the notification and prevent the update from d/l'ing, but, you will need root and seperate software. Going to test it myself now and will update shortly.

It was originally written for the Nexus 7, but, the D801 uses Google Services framework for updates also, which is why we can't just 'freeze' the update app like you can on other carriers. The original post was made here... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2429820

Here is how I disabled the upgrade prompt on the Nexus 7 grouper wifi 4.2.2 - You of course need to be rooted.

Get Autorun Manager from the market - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....autorun&hl=en or http://goo.gl/xdLmO

Launch Autorun Manager, select Advanced mode.

Click the wrench, check off Show system entries and Enable system app disable.

Click the refresh icon to reload the process list.

Search for "systemupdate" and open the Google Services Framework entry.

Uncheck com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService$ Receiver

*For me, this was the very last one in the list under Google Services Framework*

Reboot your *phone* and be nag free.

Edit - Market update notifications for apps is functioning normally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DornoDiosMio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheCoutures
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Dub View Post
I wonder if the update is different than the firmware from LG? I installed 10g directly from LG and still have WiFi Calling issues where it disconnects when the phone sleeps and calls don't come through.
Not sure, I got mine OTA.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Phone : T-Mobile Branded LG Optimus L9 - P769
ROM : Rooted Stock Jellybean 4.1.2 V20F

scmurphy13
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Did the OTA update tonight and after the reboot my touchscreen will not work. Can't unlock the phone. Can't do anything. Tried a soft reboot and nothing.
White T-Mobile LG G3
64gb OnePlus One
Lumia 1520

mannequin
Old
Thanks Meter 174
so to sum the update up (updated with the prerooted one from the t-mobile thread without any issues): wifi/data connection seems more reliable, they fixed the fonts, brightness slider stays put once auto brightness is enabled (the annoying lower brightness screen auto adjustment seems to be gone too!), touch screen issues (which i had very rarely to begin with) are not there anymore but surely this needs more testing.

Super Grover
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The auto brightness on my phone has gone to **** since I've installed this update. My screen is in a perpetual state of dim now and I've had to turn off auto brightness entirely.