XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fixing a bad esf folder - help needed

Tip us?

clapper66
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Default Fixing a bad esf folder - help needed

My galaxy s4 was stuck in factory mode and it seemed like there was nothing i could do. I though i had nothing to lose so i decided to update from MDK to ME7 threw odin and it fixed the problem so if your like me and have nothing to lose try updating .

Eric214
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Sorry but that is BAD advice. It's never good to update from MDK to anything else. You should have just Odin back to stock MDK firmware and reroot and flashed recovery. Bad/dumb move imo.
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.

jamesd1085
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric214 View Post
Sorry but that is BAD advice. It's never good to update from MDK to anything else. You should have just Odin back to stock MDK firmware and reroot and flashed recovery. Bad/dumb move imo.
Updating may soon not be such a big deal...got a group of great devs who may have had a huge breakthrough in the form of kexec kernel modules that may soon allow newer bootloaders to run custom ROMs based on aosp and not be limited to touchwiz...kexec lead to a fully unlocked boot loader on vzw gs3 and could bring this"for the love of god don't update" crap to an end!

clapper66
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Well lets just say i tried that... and i did not work.

Eric214
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Maybe but you're still using safestrap to hijack the boot sequence so your adding a rom on top of your stock rom giving you less room on your s4. I understand safestrap very well as I came from a DROID Bionic using SS then SS with kexec. I would still never give up MDK. If I had to ever replace my s4 with another s4 i'd be thankful for SS emencely but I'd never willingly give up MDK. And that's all I'm saying, I would never recommend giving MDK.
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.

jamesd1085
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Maybe but you're still using safestrap to hijack the boot sequence so your adding a rom on top of your stock rom giving you less room on your s4. I understand safestrap very well as I came from a DROID Bionic using SS then SS with kexec. I would still never give up MDK. If I had to ever replace my s4 with another s4 i'd be thankful for SS emencely but I'd never willingly give up MDK. And that's all I'm saying, I would never recommend giving MDK.
Believe me...I won't be moving from mdk until we have BL unlock...might not happen...but it seems they are closer than ever before

clapper66
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
well i looked at it this way i can try to update it or take it to Verizon and hope to get an mdk model witch is probably unlike

jamesd1085
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapper66 View Post
well i looked at it this way i can try to update it or take it to Verizon and hope to get an mdk model witch is probably unlike
Hold tight...don't take anymore updates unless this new stuff is a bust

clapper66
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd1085 View Post
Hold tight...don't take anymore updates unless this new stuff is a bust
That's what I plan to do

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app