XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Note 2 for maxx??

Tip us?

brandon2x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Note 2 for maxx??

Question for you MOTO guys. I have a Note 2 currently. I've been looking to trade it for a while now. I have a guy wanting to trade straight up for a 1 month old Droid Maxx (the new version). I was looking for some opinions... I have owned the Razr, Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD and all of those seemed to lag bad. Can someone give me some input on this? Thanks in advance...

Also, I'm a craigslist pro and know everything necessary for the trading part. I'm only looking for input on the devices...
The Beast Note 2

Smartphone history: Moto Q, BB Pearl, Curve Storm 1 and 2, HTC Eris, Moto Droid, HTC Incredible, Moto Droid 2, Moto Droid X, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Fascinate, iPhone 4, 4S and 5, Droid Razr, M, HD, Maxx HD, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2. (I'm a bit of a Craigslist phone junkie)

erishasnobattery
Old
Thanks Meter 689

DONATE TO ME
I went from the Note 2 to the Maxx and couldn't be happier. I notice no performance difference at all. The Note has a bit nicer screen (color-wise) but otherwise i can think of nothing that gives it an edge.

Keep in mind though, you'll be going to a very locked down phone with almost no development community. If you're a flash addict, this isn't the device for you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Droid Eris --> Droid X --> Moto Atrix (I hate you AT&T) -->HTC Thunderbolt --> HTC Rezound --> Galaxy Nexus
The Following User Says Thank You to erishasnobattery For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brandon2x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by erishasnobattery View Post
I went from the Note 2 to the Maxx and couldn't be happier. I notice no performance difference at all. The Note has a bit nicer screen (color-wise) but otherwise i can think of nothing that gives it an edge.

Keep in mind though, you'll be going to a very locked down phone with almost no development community. If you're a flash addict, this isn't the device for you.

I had a feeling it was still like that. Without really researching it... I remember those days when I had the Droid X. Never could really truly change it all that much... I just want to be sure the lag that existed on the razr line isn't on this device. Hard to tell really by just looking at one at a store or I'd do that. The Maxx seems to be more "advanced", besides the screen. Wireless charging, the voice command features, etc. Is the camera a lot better than the previous models? They sucked bad.....
The Beast Note 2

Smartphone history: Moto Q, BB Pearl, Curve Storm 1 and 2, HTC Eris, Moto Droid, HTC Incredible, Moto Droid 2, Moto Droid X, HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Fascinate, iPhone 4, 4S and 5, Droid Razr, M, HD, Maxx HD, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Note 2. (I'm a bit of a Craigslist phone junkie)

erishasnobattery
Old
Thanks Meter 689

DONATE TO ME
The maxx is just very stock android, which i prefer. I feel like the overlays like TW and Sense just haven't evolved much since the GB days. Yes, they're better than they were, but they aren't really leveraging everything android has to offer yet.

As far as the camera goes, i don't take a lot of pictures, as i have a camera for that. It does take decent pictures, but it doesn't have the features of the Samsung camera. It does ok for me, but a real picture-phile (i think i made that word up) will be disappointed.

Droid Eris --> Droid X --> Moto Atrix (I hate you AT&T) -->HTC Thunderbolt --> HTC Rezound --> Galaxy Nexus

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon2x View Post
I had a feeling it was still like that. Without really researching it... I remember those days when I had the Droid X. Never could really truly change it all that much... I just want to be sure the lag that existed on the razr line isn't on this device. Hard to tell really by just looking at one at a store or I'd do that. The Maxx seems to be more "advanced", besides the screen. Wireless charging, the voice command features, etc. Is the camera a lot better than the previous models? They sucked bad.....
The Maxx/Ultra run a very Vanillaish version of android which makes it really smooth and fast, not at all like the Razr HD. The camera is OK, not the best but they did just release a firmware update which improved the camera. Fwiw I have a Note II and a Maxx and the maxx is smoother and faster imho. While there isn't much development for the maxx you can get root and install recovery and used the xPosed framework which provides for some visual customization.
The Following User Says Thank You to BladeRunner For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brandon2x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by erishasnobattery View Post
The maxx is just very stock android, which i prefer. I feel like the overlays like TW and Sense just haven't evolved much since the GB days. Yes, they're better than they were, but they aren't really leveraging everything android has to offer yet.

As far as the camera goes, i don't take a lot of pictures, as i have a camera for that. It does take decent pictures, but it doesn't have the features of the Samsung camera. It does ok for me, but a real picture-phile (i think i made that word up) will be disappointed.

Picture-phile... That's a good one.... I take A LOT of pictures with my phone. It's just more convenient and the pictures are as good or better than any digital camera I've personally ever owned... TW on the Note 2 seems pretty important to me. I am probably one of the only people who actually USE the s-pen quite often and the way its built in to TW just works... I think based off what you've told me, I'm going to stick with my Note. I appreciate your fast responses. Have a great day.
The Beast Note 2

Metfanant
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon2x View Post
Question for you MOTO guys. I have a Note 2 currently. I've been looking to trade it for a while now. I have a guy wanting to trade straight up for a 1 month old Droid Maxx (the new version). I was looking for some opinions... I have owned the Razr, Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD and all of those seemed to lag bad. Can someone give me some input on this? Thanks in advance...

Also, I'm a craigslist pro and know everything necessary for the trading part. I'm only looking for input on the devices...
Not a Note 2 user here...buy I've had a GS3 since its launch day and just upgraded to a Maxx...I fell in love with the Maxx as soon as I started using it...

Development is a little scarce to say the least...but I almost don't even care...the stock performance beats the pants off any ROM/kernel/OC'ing I ever experienced on my GS3...

I do need to take the time to root this thing in the next couple of days but I dont even feel the desire for much else other than basic root functions...

bwheelies
Old
Thanks Meter 74
I was doing a comparison with my brother's N2 and my Maxx. This Maxx, with the LTE, was doing everything faster and smoother. Not once was his phone more responsive or as polished as the Maxx.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

brons2
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I vote to keep the Note 2.

I'm a former Droid Razr owner...you'd be hard pressed into talking me into any phone that had a locked bootloader like the Motorola devices. Plus the Motorola devices just don't have the sales volume of Samsung so that's another reason that the development community is small. I just love the large amount of custom ROMs that are available for the top selling phones.

For the guy who just came from the S3, I've got Paranoid Android with 4.4 on mine and everything opens pretty much instantaneously. I wouldn't mind having more (Cores/RAM/Storage/Screen) but it would really just be for show. I can wait for my contract to be up before I get the "Next Big Thing" (S5?)

That being said I don't have any other specific complaints about the new Moto Droid devices and I am mulling over getting a Droid Mini on for my stepdaughter for Christmas. Using Early Edge since Verizon took the early upgrade program away, and I promised her a new phone if she kept up GPA above 3.5. It seems to have the same CPU and memory specs as the Maxx and the Ultra, just with a smaller screen. She'll never root it or anything. I wouldn't mind getting her the Ultra or Maxx either but I'm not sure she wants a device that big.

Which leads to my other question, I guess the Maxx/Ultra/Mini are all in this forum since they seem to have the same hardware specs?

unbesorgt
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brons2 View Post
I vote to keep the Note 2.

I'm a former Droid Razr owner...you'd be hard pressed into talking me into any phone that had a locked bootloader like the Motorola devices. Plus the Motorola devices just don't have the sales volume of Samsung so that's another reason that the development community is small. I just love the large amount of custom ROMs that are available for the top selling phones.

For the guy who just came from the S3, I've got Paranoid Android with 4.4 on mine and everything opens pretty much instantaneously. I wouldn't mind having more (Cores/RAM/Storage/Screen) but it would really just be for show. I can wait for my contract to be up before I get the "Next Big Thing" (S5?)

That being said I don't have any other specific complaints about the new Moto Droid devices and I am mulling over getting a Droid Mini on for my stepdaughter for Christmas. Using Early Edge since Verizon took the early upgrade program away, and I promised her a new phone if she kept up GPA above 3.5. It seems to have the same CPU and memory specs as the Maxx and the Ultra, just with a smaller screen. She'll never root it or anything. I wouldn't mind getting her the Ultra or Maxx either but I'm not sure she wants a device that big.

Which leads to my other question, I guess the Maxx/Ultra/Mini are all in this forum since they seem to have the same hardware specs?
Correct, this forum covers all of the new Droid line.

Personally I would consider a Moto X for your daughter over the Droid Mini. The specs are about the same but the Moto X feels much better in hand and is a much more stylish device. The Droid Ultra is the worst of both worlds and should not even be considered IMO. I have the Droid Maxx and my wife has the Moto X, and both are great devices with slightly different strengths (battery/screen size on the Maxx, form factor/customization on the Moto X).