No registration required

[ROM] [GUIDE] Lenovo S820, stock multilanguage rom

OP Pr0xiMUS

19th December 2013, 09:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 26

67 posts
More
Since I didn't find much information in English about this phone, I'm posting this guide for this great device.

There are 3 versions of device:
  • CN - Chinese version (4 GB)
  • ROW - International (European?) version (4 GB)
  • ROW 8G - International (European?) version with 8 GB internal memory
If you bought it online from Chinese website (like I did - from to2c.com) then you for sure have "CN" version. If you have a device which came stock with ROW firmware, there is no need to flash new firmware because you are already on international version of the phone and you get the updates over-the-air.
Those phones that came from Chinese sites usually have rooted and multilanguage firmware, but basically it is slightly modified Chinese firmware with Chinese apps still included, Chinese GPS settings, OTA disabled (so you don't loose root and multilanguage ((MoreLocale2)) by OTA update) and old firmware. In this guide I'll post how to change the CN firmware to ROW but keeping the CN modem.img because it isn't compatible across different versions of device. Most of the information I've got from site lenovo-forums.ru.

Why doing this? To get...
  • latest version of non-Chinese firmware (v S120 ROW)
  • latest modem from Lenovo VIBE ROM (V52)
  • CWM recovery
  • root

GUIDE
Disclaimer: you are doing this at your own risk. Some knowledge and previous experience with flashing MTK devices is highly recommended. If you find something confusing in this guide, then you should probably first learn more about MTK flashing and Android phones in general (hint: google ).

1. TOOLS
- SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1332.0.187, https://www.mediafire.com/?l26qvmalu6m73lw
- MTK preloader drivers, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2180436

2. ROM - version S119 ROW full
- download S820_ROW_S119_130922, (LINK) (login information from http://www.bugmenot.com/view/lenovo-forums.ru)
- flash using SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1332.0.187, make sure that all the files are checked, use firmware upgrade mode as shown in pictures bellow...

3. Flash custom recovery
- get recovery CWM_v6.0.3.4_S820_ROW, download link: https://www.mediafire.com/?82bb42qg55o3ob4 (credits: lenovo-forums.ru)
- flash with SP Flash Tools using Download mode like shown bellow...

4. Flash S120 ROW update (CWM)
- get into recovery by pressing vol down + vol up + power.
- flash this incremental update (S119 -> S120), download: https://www.mediafire.com/?3e11hd2erutsz3k (source lenovo-forums.ru, modified by me because of asert errors in their file)

5. Root device
- enable usb debugging by opening developer menu: Settings -> About -> Versions -> pres 7 times on baseband version
- follow root guide from this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2247537

6. Change MODEM.IMG to V52 from VIBE ROM
- download this modem.img (V52 from VIBE ROM): https://www.mediafire.com/?au982otib7lkka4
- you flashed international version of firmware (ROW) but modem still have to be from the Chinese ROM to function properly - following guide from this LINK you can swap the MODEM.IMG from ROW version to Chinese (procedure for different phone but works analogously). In short: transfer modem.img to your sdcard, mount /etc/firmware as rw (read/write - you need root rights to do this), copy over existing modem.img, change permissions to 644, reboot phone (pull battery out)

Enjoy the international/EU version of Lenovo S820!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lenovo1.png
Views:	86603
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	2463996   Click image for larger version

Name:	lenovo2.png
Views:	75809
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	2463997   Click image for larger version

Name:	lenovo3.png
Views:	75673
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	2464015  
Last edited by Pr0xiMUS; 19th December 2013 at 09:28 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Pr0xiMUS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2013, 02:02 PM   |  #2  
Flag OEJN
Thanks Meter: 1

35 posts
More
thanks for this very useful thread my friend,
I tried flashing VibeROM,
but it seems no network/signal comming even there is sim card after flashing the ROM.
what seems to be the problem?

Lenovo S820 ROW
20th December 2013, 09:18 PM   |  #3  
Flag Podgorica
Thanks Meter: 2

41 posts
More
Thumbs up repartition
hi great guide. do you have some info how to repartition internal memory on this phone. i have ROW model with 4GB
20th December 2013, 11:49 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

67 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakuLaw

thanks for this very useful thread my friend,
I tried flashing VibeROM,
but it seems no network/signal comming even there is sim card after flashing the ROM.
what seems to be the problem?

Lenovo S820 ROW

It may help if you change the modem.img; try the modem.img from ROW version of the firmware...
The Following User Says Thank You to Pr0xiMUS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st December 2013, 09:02 AM   |  #5  
Flag OEJN

35 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0xiMUS

It may help if you change the modem.img; try the modem.img from ROW version of the firmware...

the problem is when you this procedure,
ur device must be rooted,

its very hard to root viberom,
i try framaroot and the link above,
all failed.

do u have the modem.img from stock ROM,
so that i can flash it with Viberom?
Last edited by bakuLaw; 21st December 2013 at 12:55 PM.
22nd December 2013, 01:06 PM   |  #6  

21 posts
Hi! Does the european Rom (4G) has greek language? Or else, is there anywhere to download the ROM provided by chinese websites (for example to2c.com) which includes aprox. 52 languages?
24th December 2013, 02:06 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

67 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLEFBB

Hi! Does the european Rom (4G) has greek language? Or else, is there anywhere to download the ROM provided by chinese websites (for example to2c.com) which includes aprox. 52 languages?

Try installing MoreLocale2 from Play Store... Those ROMs are not fully translated, you can achieve almost the same with MoreLocale on any other ROM.
24th December 2013, 03:15 PM   |  #8  

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0xiMUS

Try installing MoreLocale2 from Play Store... Those ROMs are not fully translated, you can achieve almost the same with MoreLocale on any other ROM.

Hey, thanks for your answer, but I finally figureed it out on my own ..!!
2nd January 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Pr0xiMUS, thanks for this great tutorial,
could you please just give a more noob explanation of step 6 ? (swapping the modem)
im stuck with it and i cannot find my way at lenovo-forums.ru translated.
25th January 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Hi, I've just tried to flash a rom on my s820. All the procedure went fine (I thought) with a green circle on the screen at the end...
but after disconnecting it from PC, my phone doesn't boot anymore! No way to turn it on, also with powerbutton and vol+, it doesn't show anything on the screen, nor vibrate. Also connected with the charger will not show the charging led signal.
If I connect again to PC it is recognised differently in it has or not the battery, but with flashtools I can't download anything.
Do you have any idea of what I can do?
Thanks

Pago

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lenovo, s820
Previous Thread Next Thread