Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,899 Members 48,929 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[PREVIEW] Galaxy S3 - MultiBoot project in progress

Tip us?
 
Phil_Suz
Old
(Last edited by Phil_Suz; 6th April 2014 at 07:03 AM.)
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 283
Posts: 91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Montreal
Default [PREVIEW] Galaxy S3 - MultiBoot project in progress


For technical questions,
Please use this thread now in dev subforum
:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2684052
(new versions are published there)

[Updated 2014/03/10]
version 1.2
migration to twrp2.7.0.0
sizing of system/data/cache now possible
real internal/external sd mounted ( respectively in /storage/intsdcard and /storage/extsdcard )
new way to boot roms
[Updated 2014/02/07]
version 1.1 to fix kernel injection bug ( Slimkat not starting ) - kload_hardboot
[Updated 2014/02/05]
- new version d2att-twrp-v2.6.3-mb-v1.0 :
- Xposed fixed
- new feature to reboot from android
- new app multiboot.apk ( need d2att-twrp-v2.6.3-mb-v1.0 )

- add credits/reference at the end of message

- add zip version ( to be able to install without odin - only for d2att )


Hi all,

I managed to make working multiboot feature on Galaxy S3.

Below are some videos preview that I did demonstrating the features ( don't look at sound, I removed it because my english is not fluent).

This project is at an early stage but already working with limitations.

If you want to try it, beware that it is dangerous (no risk to brick but if you make mistake you risk to install a zip into your internal rom), so to test it, please follow exactly the operations in videos examples.

Very important recommendations to test :

- BACKUP all your data first !
- Use only your internal if you have at least 4G available ( 7GB recommended because I create sparsed img files but if you fill all the rom, it will take 7GB )
- Use your external sd card only if :
- you have at least 7 GB free
- your filesystem is vfat or ext4 ( exfat,ntfs not supported for the moment )
- Very very important : when you use "set rom" option, you have to see "command succeded" at the end of the output. If not, don't go further and reboot.
- start by playing with recovery roms ( check video ) before testing full rom
- creating rom on vfat can take about 15 minutes (to create img files). Be patient...
The method used is an adapted kexec-hardboot method created by mkasic (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1266827), but with a complete replacement of kexec by another userspace program ( kload-harboot ) and a very small kernel patch ( hardboot-reserve ).
Note also that this adapted method is easily portable to any android devices.

If you are interested in this project ( to help for testing, to help dev, to add features etc..), I will open a thread in the developpement subforum, to published sources and explanations.

Booting multiples ROMs demo:


Playing with recovery roms:


Creating a new rom, installing gapps ( if not done at first stage ) :



New Multiboot android app



Attachements :
Odin : use d2att-twrp-v2.6.3-mb-v1.1.tar
TWRP/CWM : d2att-twrp-v2.6.3-mb-v1.1.zip
Android app : Multiboot.apk ( need to allow unknown sources )
d2att-twrp2.7-mb-v1.2 : http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407577797


References / Credits :
mkasic : kexec-hardboot creator - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1266827
Tassadar : MultiROM creator - best project - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2011403 - bbootimg used
TWRP Team : http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2

Philippe,
Attached Files
File Type: apk Multiboot_v1.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (274.8 KB, 312 views)
File Type: tar d2att-recovery-mb-v1.1.tar - [Click for QR Code] (7.20 MB, 80 views)
File Type: zip d2att-recovery-mb-v1.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.34 MB, 121 views)
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Phil_Suz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Smash2Bash
Old
(Last edited by Smash2Bash; 23rd December 2013 at 02:32 AM.)
#2  
Smash2Bash's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 104
Posts: 338
Join Date: Sep 2012
Is this for the i747? Because it can cause I brick. Not trying to bust your...yeah. But I wanna try it and don't wanna send it back to AT&T with a lie

Edit: Got it installed. Gotta use odin guys. All good. testing multiboot soon.

EditEdit lol: tested and good.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Smash2Bash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Phil_Suz
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 283
Posts: 91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash2Bash View Post
Is this for the i747? Because it can cause I brick. Not trying to bust your...yeah. But I wanna try it and don't wanna send it back to AT&T with a lie

Edit: Got it installed. Gotta use odin guys. All good. testing multiboot soon.

EditEdit lol: tested and good.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Hi Smash2Bash,

Sorry to answer lately. I did this program on i747M ( Bell canada provider ) with d2att cm10.2 kernel but as we share the same kernel, it should be fine. Just take care of warnings that I putted in first message. If you can share your experience and tell me if you found problems/bugs.
When I reach 10 posts, I will probalby open a dev thread.

Phil_Suz,
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil_Suz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Smash2Bash
Old
#4  
Smash2Bash's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 104
Posts: 338
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Suz View Post
Hi Smash2Bash,

Sorry to answer lately. I did this program on i747M ( Bell canada provider ) with d2att cm10.2 kernel but as we share the same kernel, it should be fine. Just take care of warnings that I putted in first message. If you can share your experience and tell me if you found problems/bugs.
When I reach 10 posts, I will probalby open a dev thread.

Phil_Suz,
No problem man. It's working good. I tested cm11 paranoid android and it worked good. But I tested avatar ROM 4.3 and it didn't work so well. Probably a ROM issue. And these were tested with my internal ROM as 4.3 touchwiz. You should put in the OP to flash with Odin. And I found a bug I think....

When you make a new ROM and flash the ROM in the new slot, you must swap back to internal in order for it to boot. So you can't swap to it, and then boot it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
Mikessv
Old
#5  
Mikessv's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 171
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burlington, NJ

 
DONATE TO ME
Is there anyway to make a regular zip for this? I don't have access to a computer for Odin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
 
fire_angel
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 26
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Veracruz, México
it's a great tool for the people than change ROM all the time or the testers...well....it's my opinion....XD
 
Smash2Bash
Old
#7  
Smash2Bash's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 104
Posts: 338
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_angel View Post
it's a great tool for the people than change ROM all the time or the testers...well....it's my opinion....XD
Exactly! That's about be my exact purpose with this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
Phil_Suz
Old
(Last edited by Phil_Suz; 24th December 2013 at 01:33 AM.)
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 283
Posts: 91
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash2Bash View Post
No problem man. It's working good. I tested cm11 paranoid android and it worked good. But I tested avatar ROM 4.3 and it didn't work so well. Probably a ROM issue. And these were tested with my internal ROM as 4.3 touchwiz. You should put in the OP to flash with Odin. And I found a bug I think....

When you make a new ROM and flash the ROM in the new slot, you must swap back to internal in order for it to boot. So you can't swap to it, and then boot it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Thank's for feedback.
I will add the information that this preview has to be installed with Odin.
In fact, it is prerequisite to go back to original rom to be able to boot a Rom that you installed on internal sdcard ( /data/media/../) .
When you select a rom, it is to make operation on it ( install, wipe etc.. ) but not to boot on it. I admit that it is not very clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikessv View Post
Is there anyway to make a regular zip for this? I don't have access to a computer for Odin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Yes, I will do it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_angel View Post
it's a great tool for the people than change ROM all the time or the testers...well....it's my opinion....XD
In my case, it was also to have my original rom (not rooted) for my work during work time, and use other roms outside work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil_Suz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
balrog558
Old
#9  
balrog558's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 148
Join Date: Apr 2012
This looks awesome I will try it out asap. Thanks for the hard work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
 
ChinDaChin
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 25
Join Date: Dec 2013
Wow! This looks awesome! I'll have to try it when I grow a pair of balls haha. I'm too scared to mess with my phone any further. (Especially since I did the 4.3 OTA.)

Thread Tools
Display Modes