[Q] Best practice to backup TA on 4.3?

Search This thread

elFlexor

Oct 18, 2011
i9100
Sony Xperia Z1
Hello everyone,

I'm running 4.3 and would like to unlock my bootloader. Since I never did it before I still need to backup my TA first. Since this needs root I'm stuck in a loop: Backup TA needs root to work but root on 4.3 needs an unlocked bootloader to install cwm to install SuperSU :eek:

Now i see two scenarios to make it happen:
a) Flash 4.2.2 with flashtool -> root with flashtool -> backup TA -> upgrade to 4.3 -> unlock bootloader on 4.3 -> install root.
b) Wait for a way to root 4.3 phones without an unlocked bootloader.

Questions:
1. Would a) work and is it worth the effort?
2. Will b) be possible and if so, how long will it probably take until it's possible?

Thank you in advance for your replies, you guys are doing a great job here!

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
I am in the same your position.

What I do at the moment is wait for a root on 4.3 to backup my TA. So for the scenario A),1) depends how is it worth for you? If you really need the root because some indispensable app need root so this is the way. Root is important anyway because will give you full control on your device.
For the scenario B),2) if you are not obsessed on modding you phone you can wait but how long you ask? Sorry, no body know it yet, we all here waiting. They doing great job and for sure they come with a root for 4.3 without unlock bootloader but this will be next year.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Thanks for your quick reply, the only 'urgent' app I can think of now would be TitaniumBackup since I just bought this phone and would like to import my appdata from the old phone.

Just a noob question, in order to downgrade to 4.2.2 I just need to download the appropriate .ftf for flashtool and that's it right?

Yes, that sholud be fine. If you don't have data to save on Z1 check Wipe Data, Cache, Appslog, and uncheck "No Final Validation" in this way you will go back with a clean installation and ready to root, backup TA and DRM keys, Upgrade again, Unlock Bootloader and root your 4.3.
BTW if you have another phone you can wait to root Z1 anyway, when the root come to 4.3 you will transfer the application via Titanium Backup.

Reactions: elFlexor

shteren

Jul 9, 2013
Just flash back 4.2 root backup, unlock and flash back 4.3, nothing bad can happen, don't be alarmed by losing imei when back on 4.2 it comes baxk once you flash 4.3.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Reactions: elFlexor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for your quick reply, the only 'urgent' app I can think of now would be TitaniumBackup since I just bought this phone and would like to import my appdata from the old phone.

Just a noob question, in order to downgrade to 4.2.2 I just need to download the appropriate .ftf for flashtool and that's it right?

Yes, that sholud be fine. If you don't have data to save on Z1 check Wipe Data, Cache, Appslog, and uncheck "No Final Validation" in this way you will go back with a clean installation and ready to root, backup TA and DRM keys, Upgrade again, Unlock Bootloader and root your 4.3.
    BTW if you have another phone you can wait to root Z1 anyway, when the root come to 4.3 you will transfer the application via Titanium Backup.
    Just flash back 4.2 root backup, unlock and flash back 4.3, nothing bad can happen, don't be alarmed by losing imei when back on 4.2 it comes baxk once you flash 4.3.

Well, you DO loose your IMEI, but if you flash 257 then 534 you keep the IMEI and the service provider signal.