5,603,981 Members 45,282 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to install TWRP Recovery on KFHD7 with stock rom?

Tip us?

gracielatf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] How to install TWRP Recovery on KFHD7 with stock rom?

I have a Kindle Fire HD 7 (7.4.6) rooted and I want to know if there's a way that I can install the TWRP Recovery without flashing any rom at the moment and most important without bricking it. I want to have it installed in case that in a future I want to flash a rom. I think it's a must have tool on this device but I'm not quite sure if it's possible and I don't want to try how-to's that I've read in these forums because it's not what I'm looking for and I don't want to mess up the KF . Any help or advice on this will be very appreciated.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
There is a way but you have to do 1 of 2 things outside of what the standard tutorial says. The newer is checks the boot loader for its version to see if it matches with the is version, if it mismatches it will cause a boot loop. So if you tried the default instructions, you would boot loop since you are on a 7.4.6 os, so you have 2 choices, downgrade the is first to the same as the freedom boot image in the tutorial, or download the latest kinology ROM which has a 7.4.6 freedom boot image inside it that for some reason isn't posted by itself last I check. If you download the kinology ROM you don't have to flash it to install that freedom boot image you can just extract it from the ROM and use it in place of the freedom boot the tutorial tells you to use. Take note of one last thing, make sure to check the box in fire flash at the top with red warning text under it about downgrading the boot loader or you will get stuck with a red screen and that requires a fastboot cable to fix. Anyways here's the tutorial: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
I suggest reading through it in its entirety to familiarize yourself. You also have a option for the lazier person, you can simply download the kinology ROM onto the device before flashing 2nd boot loader + twrp (because it will bootloop as I previously mentioned) and first make a backup of data and system, then flash the kinology ROM, then restore your backup you just made. In theory I think that will work.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gracielatf
Old
(Last edited by gracielatf; 20th December 2013 at 10:33 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
There is a way but you have to do 1 of 2 things outside of what the standard tutorial says. The newer is checks the boot loader for its version to see if it matches with the is version, if it mismatches it will cause a boot loop. So if you tried the default instructions, you would boot loop since you are on a 7.4.6 os, so you have 2 choices, downgrade the is first to the same as the freedom boot image in the tutorial, or download the latest kinology ROM which has a 7.4.6 freedom boot image inside it that for some reason isn't posted by itself last I check. If you download the kinology ROM you don't have to flash it to install that freedom boot image you can just extract it from the ROM and use it in place of the freedom boot the tutorial tells you to use. Take note of one last thing, make sure to check the box in fire flash at the top with red warning text under it about downgrading the boot loader or you will get stuck with a red screen and that requires a fastboot cable to fix. Anyways here's the tutorial: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
I suggest reading through it in its entirety to familiarize yourself. You also have a option for the lazier person, you can simply download the kinology ROM onto the device before flashing 2nd boot loader + twrp (because it will bootloop as I previously mentioned) and first make a backup of data and system, then flash the kinology ROM, then restore your backup you just made. In theory I think that will work.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
Thanks for the response, I'm trying that... but before I do this... I want to make sure I'm on the right track. I copied three files on the main kindle directory (fireflash11.apk, kfhd7-freedom-boot-7.4.6.img and kfhd7-twrp-2.6.3.1-recovery.img). I've installed the Fire Flash and now... I'm seeing the interface to flash the boot partition and recovery partition, and the bootloader says the warning thing that the bootloader is not kfhd7-u-boot-prod-7.2.3.bin. That last part is where I'm stuck in... I don't know if checking the box will mess up my kindle... so far, I know that I had to check the "apply stack override", "disable recovery auto update", then unplug cable and hit flash. I'm not sure if I'm still needing the kinology rom since I've downloaded the freedom boot from hashcode.

x10knight
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:

Wait, so if you were to install 7.4.6 freedomboot, it would bootloop? Why?
Hey, are you reading my signature? Read the next post...

Kindle Fire: RIP (Screen died)

Nexus 7: RIP (The screen cracked, for no reason. Grrrr Asus Support.)
Kindle Fire HD: Amazon 7.4.6. Possibly rooted......
Nexus 7 2013 32GB Wi-Fi: Stock! This thing is awesome!

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 329

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by x10knight View Post
Because they were running 7.4.6 so the 7.4.6 bootloader is a match. The problem is that the exploit was patched at 7.3.0 so one really should downgrade to 7.2.3 first because sometimes clicking flash 7.2.3 bootloader while using FireFlash app does not work and you get a bootloop anyway. It's best to drag and drop a ROM onto the internal sd card before flashing. If you do bootloop, just go into TWRP and flash the ROM.
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841

Jserrano56
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by x10knight View Post
I'm new and a complete noob to this, I'm running 7.4.6, can someone please explain freedom boot and if it would be possible for me to get a custom Rom loaded on my tablet without downgrading to 7.2.3?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
Freedom boot if I understand correctly is a patch to the kernel used for second bootloader, I believe it also has version data stored in it that the kindle is checks on boot, if the kernel doesn't match the kindle os version it boot loops into recovery. So yes you can do all without downgrading the os, its just suggested you do because amazon patched the boot loader a while back and downgrading ensures you don't boot loop in case you have an older freedom boot image or you are on 7.4.7. Its probably also flashes the old boot loader too which helps. Never used kffa so not positive about that though.

My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE

The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jserrano56
Old
Thanks Meter 116
So how do you suggest I go about flashing my custom Rom, I don't want to downgrade and I want to use fireflash preferable?

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 505

DONATE TO ME
I prefer the fire flash method but if you or the program mess up and don't flash the boot loader with the older version first, you will need a fastboot cable to fix it. I haven't ever had a problem with fire flash myself, as long as you check the first box with a bunch of red warning text under it you should be OK.

Jserrano56
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
I prefer the fire flash method but if you or the program mess up and don't flash the boot loader with the older version first, you will need a fastboot cable to fix it. I haven't ever had a problem with fire flash myself, as long as you check the first box with a bunch of red warning text under it you should be OK.

Thanks figured it out on my own before your post but it's the thought that counts lol your post will help others tho, I was a complete noob it was actually easier than what I thought, I'm running CM11 right now

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using XDA Premium 4 mobile app