5,600,664 Members 37,476 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Probably a stupid question but....

Tip us?

weezlerox
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Phone [Q] Probably a stupid question but....

I have a rooted O4X (rooting was about the first thing I did when I got the handset), and want to disable a stock app, namely "messaging" so that the original app does not duplicate everything that my current default SMS app is doing. If I go into Settings>Apps>Messaging I can Force Stop, clear the cache and data etc but the option to disable is greyed out.

How do I go about disabling it (presumably with an app?) I would rather do that than uninstall it just in case I change anything in the future (more than likely lol) and want to re-enable it.

many thanks in advance of your help and the banter which I undoubtedly deserve for being too stoopid to figure it out for myself

MilkyJoePD
Old
Thanks Meter 159
Use an explorer to rename it. Put an s on the end or something (so it's *.apks) and reboot.
I don't know any free apps that freeze system apps, but I prefer doing it that way anyway.
To get it back just remove the s and reboot.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

weezlerox
Old
(Last edited by weezlerox; 29th December 2013 at 08:42 PM.) Reason: updated information
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
oooh it really is that simple? I recall doing something similar in the early days of DOS (now I feel rather old)...

I have ES File Explorer, where might I find the original android messaging apk? I have tried using the search function on the whole device but it didn't just find it and I don't *really* know if it appears as "messaging.apk" or something like "google.media..." something....

***UPDATE***

I have found the following:

UniMessagebin.apk (from the icon I would guess this is it but I ES won't let me rename it)

MilkyJoePD
Old
Thanks Meter 159
In device window, /system/app. You have to enable root explorer and mount system RW.
I think it might be MMS.apk.

The Following User Says Thank You to MilkyJoePD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

weezlerox
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Properties are showing as

Readable: yes
Writeable: yes
Hidden: No

But I still can't rename it....

Any more ideas?

Any HOOOOJ thanks for your help thus far

MilkyJoePD
Old
Thanks Meter 159

weezlerox
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
How do I find the "Root Explorer" menus (second and third screenshots) I have the first and have enabled Root Explorer... do I require a reboot?

MilkyJoePD
Old
Thanks Meter 159
Press root explorer, somewhere on the left, not the button on the right. Then Mount R/W.

weezlerox
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
I must be sooo dumb and you are sooo patient...

I have to press the "Root Explorer" tab? this just brings up a window showing me all the files etc, not another menu like you have

weezlerox
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Just occurred to me to point out that my phone is currently plugged into a laptop (charge only mode) and being used as a hotspot for net access.... could this be relevant?

Tags
disable app