XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Use galaxy s4 with head unit designed for ios

Tip us?

bugeyeblue
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Use galaxy s4 with head unit designed for ios

Is there any way to get a car head unit to work with the s4? Whenever I plug in my phone to my head unit using the use cable, it just charges and doesn't play music through the head unit. Anyone know of a way to get this to work?

Jacob2kD
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyeblue View Post
Is there any way to get a car head unit to work with the s4? Whenever I plug in my phone to my head unit using the use cable, it just charges and doesn't play music through the head unit. Anyone know of a way to get this to work?
use a AUX cable?

bugeyeblue
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I want to use the usb cable since it charges the phone while playing music at the same time.

hotleadsingerguy
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
I want to use the usb cable since it charges the phone while playing music at the same time.
If the headunit was designed to be used with an iPhone...then no. It depends on a specific format and directory structure in that case.

The other possibility is using it as a USB device, but the phone can't do it stock because of the 'Media' nonsense. What you need is for it to work as a USB mass storage when it's plugged in (which probably requires root).

bugeyeblue
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
If the headunit was designed to be used with an iPhone...then no. It depends on a specific format and directory structure in that case.

The other possibility is using it as a USB device, but the phone can't do it stock because of the 'Media' nonsense. What you need is for it to work as a USB mass storage when it's plugged in (which probably requires root).
Thanks, that clears it up. If anyone knows of it can be done by rooting, let me know.

kvswim
Old
Thanks Meter 527

DONATE TO ME
It depends on the head unit - I know for my Kenwood system there's an app that allows for playback from local storage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium
If I helped you, don't just tell me, hit that thanks button!
All Noobs: Your all in one guide to everything, ever, on any device, can be found here!
http://bit.ly/jlS4oS

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 23821

DONATE TO ME
Please read forum rules before posting
Questions and help issues go in Q&A and help sections
Thread moved
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

wbbjason
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvswim View Post
It depends on the head unit - I know for my Kenwood system there's an app that allows for playback from local storage.

will the kenwood let you play pandora through the unit? or just stored music. i ask cause i dont store music on my phone.

kvswim
Old
Thanks Meter 527

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbjason View Post
will the kenwood let you play pandora through the unit? or just stored music. i ask cause i dont store music on my phone.
I couldn't get Pandora to work. Local music only. It's pretty stupid, so I just use an AUX cable and use the USB port to charge. I had an idea that someone could rip apart the Kenwood app, and make some sort of hack that plays all audio through the USB port. But I'm not experienced enough to do that and there's probably not enough interest for someone else to get it done.

If I helped you, don't just tell me, hit that thanks button!
All Noobs: Your all in one guide to everything, ever, on any device, can be found here!
http://bit.ly/jlS4oS

persom55
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Thanks, that clears it up. If anyone knows of it can be done by rooting, let me know.
There is indeed a way to use USB mass storage on our phones. It was an app that was posted to the xda front page shortly after our phones came out