5,600,919 Members 42,327 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Easy and simple adb and fastboot setup for newbies (Windows only)

Tip us?

amidabuddha
Old
(Last edited by amidabuddha; 19th July 2013 at 03:40 PM.) Reason: Surprise from M$
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2366
Default [GUIDE] Easy and simple adb and fastboot setup for newbies (Windows only)

Linux users please go HERE (thanks to bloodychaos)
Similar guides can be found on other devices subforums around but I can see that a lot of new users in our forum are not familiar with the setup and use of this commands.
All the instructions and installation files can be found on the Android Developers webpage, but for basic commands it is not necessary to download the whole SDK (which requires the JDK as well) to follow installation and the resources download process.

*Important: to use the adb/fastboot commands you have to enable USB Debugging in your phone Settings -> Applications -> Development menu*

To have working adb and fastboot system wide for basic commands just follow the steps below:
  1. UPDATE: Not necessary for Windows 7 is installng adb drivers automatically after plugging the device and fastboot ones after rebooting the connected device to bootloader. To get the HTC USB Drivers on different Windows version download and install HTC Sync (If you do not need the Sync application itself you can uninstall it but the drivers will remain on your system).
    *According to post #5 in this thread in some cases may be necessary to temporary disable your antivirus software during the installation of HTC Sync. Thanks @mimirom*
  2. Download the zip archive or the attached file below
  3. Extract the archive on your C: drive. You will have C:\android-tools folder
  4. Adding to the System Path globally to use the command without browsing to the containing folder

Method 1 (via GUI):
    Go to My Computer icon -> right click and select Properties.
    On the left side of the opened screen select Advanced system settings.
    (Or Start -> Search -> type sysdm.cpl -> Enter, browse to the Advanced tab)
    Look down on the opened menu and select Environment Variables.
    In the lower half are listed the System Variables.
    Scroll to find "Path" variable, select it and click Edit...
    On the Edit window in the Variable value field go to the end of the line (do not delete it!) and add without any intervals (spaces):
    Code:
    ;C:\android-tools
    do not forget the semicolon symbol (;)!
    Click Ok 3 times.

Method 2 (via Command prompt):
    Go to Start and in the Search box type cmd, right click and Run as Administrator
    Type
    Code:
    setx path /m "%PATH%;C:\android-tools"
    and hit Enter. Close the cmd window
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonpacific View Post
    By the way, I noticed that it doesn't work for me (windows 7 professional) unless i end the path of adb with "\", for example: ;C:\android-tools\ and not ;C:\android-tools as in your guide.
    Method 3:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonesy View Post
    Just a tip, if you put the Adb and fastboot files in C:/windows/system32 (32bit) or in C/windows/sysWOW64 (64bit) you can just use them from any command prompt window
  5. To check is it working properly open Command Prompt (Start -> Search -> type cmd -> Enter) and type adb
    If everything is configured properly this should list you the Android Debug Bridge version and the available commands.

*HINT*: To use adb or fastboot with files in the Command prompt you have to navigate to the folder containing the file first (using the cd command) e.g. "D:\Downloads\Android" and then to execute the command.

Example:
Start -> type cmd in the Search box, then Enter. You will see
C:\Users\with blinking cursor
If your file is on another drive like the example type "d:" (without the quotes), or other drive letter to go to the relevant drive. Skip this if the file is on C: drive. Then type:
cd D:\Downloads\Android to go to the "D:\Downloads\Android" folder. If your path contains spaces (intervals) type it in quotes.
The command "cd.." brings you one folder back
Attached Files
File Type: zip android-tools.zip - [Click for QR Code] (557.4 KB, 4409 views)
The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to amidabuddha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ben_pyett
Old
(Last edited by ben_pyett; 22nd September 2011 at 11:07 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1849
Lightbulb Good Idea!

Have put a link to this within the GUIDES section of [INDEX][22 SEP 11] ROMS/RECOVERY/ROOT/HBOOT/RADIOS/TWEAKS/GUIDES/etc

I believe that the guide would be more useful if you put in a link to a URL for the HTC Drivers and moved the advice about enabling USB Debugging to the top!

I can now point people at this guide rather than manually instruct them, Thank's you probably just saved me loads of time and aggravation!
Nexus 5 : hammerhead
Rom (Kernel): Cataclysm 4.4.2 [Dec 12, 2013] (Franco [#r45.2 test]) root: [superSU v1.93]
Nexus 4 : mako
Rom (Kernel): AOKP_ROM 4.3.1 [#aokp_mako_jb-mr2_2013-11-14] (Franco [#r193-JWR])
Retired - HTC Desire S, HTC Touch Diamond 2, HTC Dual Touch, HTC TyTN, Innumerable NOKIAs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben_pyett For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blindndumb
Old
Thanks Meter 4892
Nice Work, Great Help
Like my work? Consider donating via PayPal
Check out my apps !!

Twitter | G+

wnp_79
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 624

DONATE TO ME
Excellent! Exactly what I needed. Thanks for showing us this.

mimirom
Old
(Last edited by mimirom; 22nd September 2011 at 06:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Hi an thank you. Good guide.

I believe one important information is missing in the guide:

Before installing the HTC drivers (or HTC sync) it is necessary to temporarily disable AntiVirus software on Windows machines. If you don't do that, Windows won't recognise your phone. After the installation is finished, enable AntiVirus again.

I got this advice somewhere and it was true for me personally. I'm using Windows 7.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App
*** LOCKED ***
SAGA PVT ENG S-OFF RL
HBOOT-2.00.2002 (PG88*****)
RADIO-3805.06.02.03_M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mimirom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mimirom
Old
Thanks Meter 9
One more comment:

This is a minor detail but I think it's worth mentioning.

If you are using the HTC Sync installation in order to get the HTC drivers only, you actually don't need to install and immediately uninstall HTC Sync itself.
The Sync installer will first install the Desired (pun fully intended ;) drivers and the it will stop. Next it's going to ask you if you want to proceed with the installation of HTC Sync. At that point you hit cancel and you're done. No Sync, just the drivers.
*** LOCKED ***
SAGA PVT ENG S-OFF RL
HBOOT-2.00.2002 (PG88*****)
RADIO-3805.06.02.03_M
The Following User Says Thank You to mimirom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ichaochao
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimirom View Post
One more comment:

This is a minor detail but I think it's worth mentioning.

If you are using the HTC Sync installation in order to get the HTC drivers only, you actually don't need to install and immediately uninstall HTC Sync itself.
The Sync installer will first install the Desired (pun fully intended ;) drivers and the it will stop. Next it's going to ask you if you want to proceed with the installation of HTC Sync. At that point you hit cancel and you're done. No Sync, just the drivers.
It's very useful, Thanks!!

Desire S
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Doing all this the phone has to be turned off, on, or power button and volume down?

amidabuddha
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire S View Post
Doing all this the phone has to be turned off, on, or power button and volume down?
You do not need a phone for this guide It is setup for PC

bonesy
Old
Thanks Meter 298

DONATE TO ME
Just a tip, if you put the Adb and fastboot files in C:/windows/system32 (32bit) or in C/windows/sysWOW64 (64bit) you can just use them from any command prompt window
Old devices: Touch HD > Magic X2 > Hero > Acer BeTouch E400 > Legend > Sensation > Desire > Nexus 7 > HTC One
I won't thank anyone who has "Press Thanks" in their sig.It's a choice to thank

The Following User Says Thank You to bonesy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]