XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Polaroid PMID720 and Google Play

Tip us?

QuicksilverXXX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Polaroid PMID720 and Google Play

Hey, I'm new to the forum and wanted to say thanks in advance for the help and to mention that I searched the forum before posting so I apologize if I've overlooked something.

I recently purchased a Polaroid PMID720 dual core Android 4.1 tablet to keep myself busy at work and I don't have access to the Google Play store, I had purchased a Polaroid PMID701 for my daugher for Christmas and had no problem getting the Google Market installed but so far I haven't been able to do the same with this one. I initially triend installing the older Google Market following the instructions found at the-digital-reader website (these are the instructions I used for my daughter's 701) but after I get it installed and attempt to start the app it crashes when I try to add my Google account. While searching I've stumbled onto the thread for the Polaroid AIO software several times but Southern Telecom (the company that makes the Polaroid tablets) doesn't offer the firmware for the PMID720 on their website.

I know that this is far from a high end tablet - it was purchased to watch a few videos, read some ebooks, and screw around on the web when I'm dead at work - but not having access to the Google Play store severly limits its usefulness (the Amazon store suuuucks). Any advice is appreciated and, again, thanks in advance for the help.

SomebodySysop
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuicksilverXXX View Post
Hey, I'm new to the forum and wanted to say thanks in advance for the help and to mention that I searched the forum before posting so I apologize if I've overlooked something.

I recently purchased a Polaroid PMID720 dual core Android 4.1 tablet to keep myself busy at work and I don't have access to the Google Play store, I had purchased a Polaroid PMID701 for my daugher for Christmas and had no problem getting the Google Market installed but so far I haven't been able to do the same with this one. I initially triend installing the older Google Market following the instructions found at the-digital-reader website (these are the instructions I used for my daughter's 701) but after I get it installed and attempt to start the app it crashes when I try to add my Google account. While searching I've stumbled onto the thread for the Polaroid AIO software several times but Southern Telecom (the company that makes the Polaroid tablets) doesn't offer the firmware for the PMID720 on their website.

I know that this is far from a high end tablet - it was purchased to watch a few videos, read some ebooks, and screw around on the web when I'm dead at work - but not having access to the Google Play store severly limits its usefulness (the Amazon store suuuucks). Any advice is appreciated and, again, thanks in advance for the help.
Google: "Installing Google Play without rooting on Android Mobiles or Tablets"

I cannot enter the url. I had the same exact problem as you. This method has worked for me (I also have PMID720 and got the same error as you when following the instructions that worked with earlier models).

SomebodySysop
Old
Thanks Meter 1
While I was able to get Android Market installed, Google Services seemed to crash constantly. Also, none of the music apps running on the PMID720 recognized the playlists on my SD card (the same playlists that worked flawlessly on my old Emerson EMS543 and another Android device).

So, my solution was to return the PMID720 and exchange for a PMID705. Yes, it's slightly slower and less memory, but everything works: Android Market, Play Lists, etc... And, it was $30 cheaper.

sum1nil
Old
(Last edited by sum1nil; 5th June 2013 at 12:29 PM.) Reason: Further instructions that I hope work properly.
Thanks Meter 2
I followed the instructions at:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UN48FG9X2WZ

The Play Store would say 'blah no data provisioning' or 'no reliable service...'.

I then went to Settings>Accessibility and at the bottom there is box to enhance web accessibility. I turned that on and launched the Market and followed the prompts. Afterwards a Google account was in my settings and I could access my apps at the Play Store. I then reset the Accessibility setting to 'Not Allowed' because I do not know what all it does.

I should also mention that I altered my '/etc/hosts' file, but I am not sure that was needed. I immediately downloaded the XDA app and saw your post. Wierd, huh?

Hope this helps.

Edit: I erased the google market and retried my steps and they failed. I had to install the apps in this order to get it to work again (I did leave the Accessiblity feature on again):
1) OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk
2) SetupWizard.apk
3) GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk
4) vending-3.1.3-signed.apk

When I tried to connect with my gmail I got the same errors as above until I rebooted my tablet, it then finally connected. I sincerely hope this works for you. Also if you have installed any of the above, delete their data and reinstall.

Sent from my PMID720 using XDA Premium HD app

chuck3565
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The Play Store would say 'blah no data provisioning' or 'no reliable service...'.

I then went to Settings>Accessibility and at the bottom there is box to enhance web accessibility. I turned that on and launched the Market and followed the prompts. Afterwards a Google account was in my settings and I could access my apps at the Play Store. I then reset the Accessibility setting to 'Not Allowed' because I do not know what all it does.

I should also mention that I altered my '/etc/hosts' file, but I am not sure that was needed. I immediately downloaded the XDA app and saw your post. Wierd, huh?

Hope this helps.

Edit: I erased the google market and retried my steps and they failed. I had to install the apps in this order to get it to work again (I did leave the Accessiblity feature on again):
1) OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk
2) SetupWizard.apk
3) GoogleServicesFramework-signed.apk
4) vending-3.1.3-signed.apk

When I tried to connect with my gmail I got the same errors as above until I rebooted my tablet, it then finally connected. I sincerely hope this works for you. Also if you have installed any of the above, delete their data and reinstall.

Sent from my PMID720 using XDA Premium HD app[/QUOTE]

I followed your instructions, but after the reboot, I still got the no data provisioning error. I then toggled the wifi to airplane mode and back and then I was able to sign in and download apps from the Market and the Gmail app began syncing. Chuck

kevo2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
goto
FreakTab. ...lookup pmid720 post .. use adb method.. worked for me.. all else failed. this site has large polaroid section. many ROMs but nothing for 720.. this method will root phone.. turn off ota update on the tab.. this is at own risk.. mistakes or random chance can brick

nicole_cooper
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default polaroid tablet brand pmid720

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo2 View Post
goto
FreakTab. ...lookup pmid720 post .. use adb method.. worked for me.. all else failed. this site has large polaroid section. many ROMs but nothing for 720.. this method will root phone.. turn off ota update on the tab.. this is at own risk.. mistakes or random chance can brick
uhmm i had a similar problem except my tablet now when i turn my tablet it has 2 polaroid start up screens and continues to load instead of turning all the way on