5,594,805 Members 36,729 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Please Help! YouTube and Google+ Hate My Wifi!!!

Tip us?

jimmyj352
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Please Help! YouTube and Google+ Hate My Wifi!!!

Hi everyone - I have a weird problem that I really need some help on!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III on the Verizon network. I've had the phone since it first came out and love it, but the problem I have is that when I connect to my network at home, YouTube and Google+ won't update.

Google+ tries to refresh and give the error:
"Can't load data. Check your connection."

When YouTube opens, I get the error:
There was a problem connecting to the network"

If I go into the sync settings for Google, most everything is syncing just fine, but Google+ and People details have problems. Google+ just shows the 2 arrows in the circle next to it and People details shows the same, but with an exclamation point. And then I have a message at the bottom that says "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."

This problem for YouTube and Google+ happens MOST of the time, but sometimes it will work OK. And if I have problems and turn off the WiFi and change to 4G, everything will update just fine. I also don't have the problem on other wireless networks.

So most of you are probably already thinking, "well this is a problem with your wireless network." That's what I would think.... however, my wife has the same phone and hers works fine on our wireless network. The only difference is that my phone is rooted and hers is not. I am only rooted though; I am still running the stock ROM on the same version and NOT a custom ROM.

I have changed out my wireless router from a NETGEAR N600 to a NETGEAR N150 (yes, a downgrade) and that did not make a difference. There is nothing special configured on the router. I have Time Warner providing my Internet access.

I have done a factory reset on my phone (wiped data, cache partition, and Dalvik cache from ClockworkMod)... still nothing. Be aware that I do run a lot of apps though (around 165 of them).

Here's my problem - I don't use a ton of data, so going to 4G should just be a minor annoyance. However, I now have 2 Chromecasts in the house (awesome!) and I need to be on the wireless to cast a YouTube video over to it... 4G won't cut it.

Hopefully I provided enough info. I've attached a few screenshots as well. Usually I'm pretty good at figuring these kind of things out, but I'm at my wits end on this one and I know there's some really smart people on XDA so I'm hoping you guys might be able to provide some help.

Thanks!!

-- Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-20-10-53-24.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	2339184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-20-10-53-43.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2339185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-20-20-25-11.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2339206  

jimmyj352
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Just to add to this (and to hopefully give this a little bump), I forgot that the same problem also exists with Google Voice... when I'm at home, I usually can't listen to my voicemails through the widget unless I get off the wireless and go to 4G.

Any thoughts anyone?

-- Jim

geoworld_200
Old
(Last edited by geoworld_200; 22nd October 2013 at 03:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj352 View Post
Just to add to this (and to hopefully give this a little bump), I forgot that the same problem also exists with Google Voice... when I'm at home, I usually can't listen to my voicemails through the widget unless I get off the wireless and go to 4G.

Any thoughts anyone?

-- Jim
Do other internet activities work fine on ur phone? Such as web surfing, watching youtube vids etc?
And another thing is that rooting and unlocking tends to break some software related stuffs in stock roms, and the sync issue might be related as well. I suggest that u try a custom rom and see if the problem persists. Hope that helps

LG Optimus G <- Motorola Atrix 4G <- HTC Desire HD <- HTC Hero <- Nokia N82 <- Sony Ericsson W880i <- A tiny Samsung Phone <- A ginormous samsung phone with external antenna

jimmyj352
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoworld_200 View Post
Do other internet activities work fine on ur phone? Such as web surfing, watching youtube vids etc?
And another thing is that rooting and unlocking tends to break some software related stuffs in stock roms, and the sync issue might be related as well. I suggest that u try a custom rom and see if the problem persists. Hope that helps
Thanks, geoworld_200 - yes, all other Internet functions work just fine. In fact, I can go to the YouTube in Chrome on the phone and it works just fine, just not the app. Thanks for the thought - I'm actually a really big fan of CyanogenMod, but I'm not ready to go to it yet on this phone as the stock camera app is extremely good and I use it a lot. Any other thoughts?

-- Jim

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2120
Why are you rooted? Are you using an ad-blocker? If yes, disable it, reboot, and try again. I've seen some of Google servers end up on adblocking lists.
Please press THANKS if someone helps you!

My current configuration:

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747M
ROM: cm-11-20140413-NIGHTLY-d2lte
Kernel: Stock
Baseband: I747MVLUEMF1
Bootloader: I747MVLDMF1
Governor: Interactive

Older device: Nexus S i9020A

jimmyj352
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by polobunny View Post
Why are you rooted? Are you using an ad-blocker? If yes, disable it, reboot, and try again. I've seen some of Google servers end up on adblocking lists.
Polobunny, that's something I didn't think of, but no I don't use an ad-blocker. I'm rooted for the backup abilities in Titanium Backup, the awesomeness of Greenify, and the ability to do small things (like rename sound files for the phone starting up or the camera shutter sounds). I like that idea though - I will try using Voodoo OTA RootKeeper to temporarily disable root when I get home. From another perspective though, that would be weird if it fixes the problem since it's only when I'm at my house... other WiFi connections work just fine. I will let you know what I find out.

-- Jim

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj352 View Post
Polobunny, that's something I didn't think of, but no I don't use an ad-blocker. I'm rooted for the backup abilities in Titanium Backup, the awesomeness of Greenify, and the ability to do small things (like rename sound files for the phone starting up or the camera shutter sounds). I like that idea though - I will try using Voodoo OTA RootKeeper to temporarily disable root when I get home. From another perspective though, that would be weird if it fixes the problem since it's only when I'm at my house... other WiFi connections work just fine. I will let you know what I find out.

-- Jim
I wasn't suggesting unrooting, merely disabling your ad-blocker, if you used one.

jimmyj352
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I wasn't suggesting unrooting, merely disabling your ad-blocker, if you used one.
Well, it made me think... why not? That's one of the only differences between my phone and my wife's (the other is that I have a ton of apps on mine). I've only used Voodoo OTA RootKeeper one time, but it looks like it will do a temporary unroot, so I'll give it a shot.

As far as the ad-blockers, while I don't have one specifically installed, is it possible that one of my other apps might be causing a similar problem?

-- Jim

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2120
Not from the top of my head.

Can you check on your S3 if http://m.youtube.com works?

jimmyj352
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Not from the top of my head.

Can you check on your S3 if http://m.youtube.com works?
I'm almost positive it works, but I'll double-check that for sure once I get home today.

-- Jim