XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi Hotspot issues

Tip us?

xxnu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default WiFi Hotspot issues

I've been running CM10 on my HOXL for a while, but I noticed today that I couldn't connect to the wifi hotspot I set up on it.

I've been able to in the past so for the last few hours I've been trying every combination to achieve a working result like it was previously:

tried connecting to hotspot from several devices - none work
tried rebooting ALL devices (including phone) - still can't connect
I can connect to it as long as it's an open network, but this is no good as I want to keep the security on the hotspot
I can tether via bluetooth or I can tether using an app - but I don't want this, I want my wifi hotspot back
I've reflashed from fresh wipe - still can't connect if hotspot has a password
tried both security settings, neither let me connect (but again, open is fine)
I've reflashed back to the stock ROM (Telstra Clean ROM anyway) - this actually works, let's me connect via wifi hotspot with security
flashed back to CM10 afterwards - wifi hotspot doesn't work again.

So basically I can't connect to my wiFi hotspot if it has security applied, while my phone is running CM10 (nightlies)

Anyone share this problem / have any more suggestions to try?

blingblingthing
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnu View Post
I've been running CM10 on my HOXL for a while, but I noticed today that I couldn't connect to the wifi hotspot I set up on it.

I've been able to in the past so for the last few hours I've been trying every combination to achieve a working result like it was previously:

tried connecting to hotspot from several devices - none work
tried rebooting ALL devices (including phone) - still can't connect
I can connect to it as long as it's an open network, but this is no good as I want to keep the security on the hotspot
I can tether via bluetooth or I can tether using an app - but I don't want this, I want my wifi hotspot back
I've reflashed from fresh wipe - still can't connect if hotspot has a password
tried both security settings, neither let me connect (but again, open is fine)
I've reflashed back to the stock ROM (Telstra Clean ROM anyway) - this actually works, let's me connect via wifi hotspot with security
flashed back to CM10 afterwards - wifi hotspot doesn't work again.

So basically I can't connect to my wiFi hotspot if it has security applied, while my phone is running CM10 (nightlies)

Anyone share this problem / have any more suggestions to try?
Have you checked the ROM's thread? This may be a known issue and possibly with a fix you can flash.

xxnu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingblingthing View Post
Have you checked the ROM's thread? This may be a known issue and possibly with a fix you can flash.
Yup, been through there and can't find anything (at least through the few dozen pages I've skimmed). Odd thing is it WAS working up until yesterday with the ROM, now it's stopped working. I tried reverting back to an earlier ROM as well, no dice.

I can't post in the thread to ask directly in there either.

subarudroid
Old
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
Have you been flashing nightlies? The latest updates have been generating new Mac address for your phone when you flash. Its cause several problems. I had to change my router to wepkey access only. Cause I have Mac filters on my router. Not sure if that helps. Good luck though.

Sent from my One X using xda premium
Hit the thanks if I've helped, or maybe if made you laugh. I cannot be responsible for any damages to you for listening to me

xxnu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by subarudroid View Post
Have you been flashing nightlies? The latest updates have been generating new Mac address for your phone when you flash. Its cause several problems. I had to change my router to wepkey access only. Cause I have Mac filters on my router. Not sure if that helps. Good luck though.
Yeah, I read that too. But my phone CONNECTS to wifi fine, the wifi is WORKING fine.

The problem is when I am trying to set it up as a hotspot that the issues are occurring.

To reiterate: it's only when I have security set on for the hotspot that I can't connect to it. (But having an open hotspot is not suitable)

subarudroid
Old
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
No clue... I just tested hotspot and connected my wife's iPhone just fine. However I had to do a reboot to get WiFi back. They are tied in. Sorry I could be more help.

Hit the thanks if I've helped, or maybe if made you laugh. I cannot be responsible for any damages to you for listening to me

xxnu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
No clue... I just tested hotspot and connected my wife's iPhone just fine. However I had to do a reboot to get WiFi back. They are tied in. Sorry I could be more help.

And security was active in the hot spot?

subarudroid
Old
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
Yes. Show password. Then put that in my wife's iPhone and presto data connected.

xxnu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Yes. Show password. Then put that in my wife's iPhone and presto data connected.

Sorry, just making sure all options were covered.
Just installed 10/7, still happening.

subarudroid
Old
Thanks Meter 625

DONATE TO ME
I wonder if it would have anything to do with what radio your on? I all ways flash 1.85 cause it works best for WiFi and I don't have LTE in my area so it works well for my H. Not sure though throwing out ideas for you.