5,594,653 Members 33,107 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Using old rom ADB file on new rom?

Tip us?

Lazdaa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] Using old rom ADB file on new rom?

Hi Guys!

I've just flashed my HTC One to the ViperOne ROM. And since i backed up all my apps beforehand with ADB i was wondering if i could use the backup file that i have on my PC taken with the stock ROM, on my new rom?

Cheers!

deeevan
Old
Thanks Meter 80
What do you mean by 'backed up using adb'? Did you copy files from your phone to your computer?

Lazdaa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeevan View Post
What do you mean by 'backed up using adb'? Did you copy files from your phone to your computer?
Thanks for the fast reply!

I've followed this vid through the root process where it was suggested to do a backup as seen here: http://youtu.be/qpj6dEMn9dw?t=2m45s

So i basically used ADB to backup apps settings etc and it saved a file on my comp. And i was wondering if i could use that even if made on a different ROM.

deeevan
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I'm out and on my phone, don't really want to watch a video to find out what command you ran. I assume it was a whole system backup like a nandroid.

Because you've now installed a different ROM, you only want to restore certain parts of your backup ie. You just want your user apps and data restored. If you restored your whole backup, you'd wipe Viper ROM and be back where you started.

Have a look at TitaniumBackup and Helium which will allow you to just backup and restore apps. I use Titanium and it has options to extract from a nandroid or adb backup.

Lazdaa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I ran it and it seems to have worked. Still on the Viper rom atleast!

But thanks for the help!

deeevan
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Just read up about adb backup. Thanks, learnt something new today.

You should look at Titanium as it will give you finer grain control over restoring.