XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Now Long Press

Tip us?

Cyrene
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Default Google Now Long Press

For some reason long pressing the menu button on my s4 brings up my recent apps as opposed to Google now on my s4. I'm unrooted, completely stock. This feature used to work. Haven't had the kitkat update as I'm on Verizon. Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my SGS4 using Tapatalk

Oishikatta
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrene View Post
For some reason long pressing the menu button on my s4 brings up my recent apps as opposed to Google now on my s4. I'm unrooted, completely stock. This feature used to work. Haven't had the kitkat update as I'm on Verizon. Anyone else have this problem?

That's the intended behaviour. It comes like that when stock.

I think Google Now should be swipe up from bottom of screen; not sure as I've never installed it.

mike.s
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
pressing the menu button on my s4 brings up my recent apps as opposed to Google now on my s4.
So, your S4 behaves differently than your S4. That's weird.

Seriously, that's how it's supposed to work. Go into Google Now, settings/help, where it's explained. Long press home is on Google Play edition phones (swipe up is for Nexus phones).

Cyrene
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 58
Ok, but I have googled this all over the place. Other people on other forums say the same. Long Press menu brings up Google Now. Additionally, my phone used to do this until last week.

Oishikatta
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Ok, but I have googled this all over the place. Other people on other forums say the same. Long Press menu brings up Google Now. Additionally, my phone used to do this until last week.

Have you tried a factory reset? Since you're not rooted, that should reset everything... but there's also the full-wipe MK2 Odin tar to really reset everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oishikatta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.s View Post
So, your S4 behaves differently than your S4. That's weird.

Seriously, that's how it's supposed to work. Go into Google Now, settings/help, where it's explained. Long press home is on Google Play edition phones (swipe up is for Nexus phones).
No, long press menu should bring it up. Looks like you might have to factory reset your phone OP. It doesn't even work on the homescreen?
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: VERIZON
  • DEVICE: HTC ONE MAX
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7
  • ROM: NUSENSE SIX
  • KERNEL: CLEANKERNEL
  • LAUNCHER: TSF SHELL
  • XPOSED MODULES: Greenify/KeepChat/NotifyClean/Sense6Toolbox/Snapshare/YoutubeAdAway
  • CASE: POWER FLIP
  • HACKS: LIFETIME FREE PIZZA DELIVERY
The Following User Says Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mike.s
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219 View Post
No, long press menu should bring it up. Looks like you might have to factory reset your phone OP. It doesn't even work on the homescreen?
LOL. Who is Google to contradict your expertise?

Quote:
To open Google Now, follow the steps for your device:

Android 4.1+ devices: Touch the Google Search bar at the top of the screen. You may be able to swipe up from the bottom of the screen on certain devices.
Nexus devices: Swipe up from the bottom of any screen.
Nexus 5: Swipe to the leftmost Home screen.
Google Play edition devices: Touch & hold your phone's Home button.
Google

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 878
Quote:
LOL. Who is Google to contradict your expertise?

Google
Did you even read what you posted? That's for nexus and gpe devices. The Samsung S4 on stock Touchwiz is not either of those things.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
  • XPOSED MODULES: Greenify/KeepChat/NotifyClean/Sense6Toolbox/Snapshare/YoutubeAdAway
The Following User Says Thank You to joshm.1219 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mike.s
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Let me simply point out your lack of reading comprehension:
Quote:
"Android 4.1+ devices: Touch the Google Search bar at the top of the screen. You may be able to swipe up from the bottom of the screen on certain devices."
The S4 is an "Android 4.1+ device," and it works exactly as described.

But if you knew how to read, you could download the user manual for the phone, and discover how Samsung says it works:
Quote:
Home: Press to display the Home screen, or Lock screen if the device is locked. Press and hold to display recent applications or launch Task Manager or Google Search.
...which again confirms that the OP's phone (and my own, which is running "rooted" stock) is working as both Google and Samsung describe.

But, maybe you like the taste of crow, since you've asked for a second serving.

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 878
Quote:
Let me simply point out your lack of reading comprehension: The S4 is an "Android 4.1+ device," and it works exactly as described.

But if you knew how to read, you could download the user manual for the phone, and discover how Samsung says it works: ...which again confirms that the OP's phone (and my own, which is running "rooted" stock) is working as both Google and Samsung describe.

But, maybe you like the taste of crow, since you've asked for a second serving.
Really whipping out the manual? Lol in the section you're referring to, it also doesn't mention that long pressing the back key toggles the multiwindow tab. It's not a complete guide to those functions.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app