5,594,700 Members 33,614 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Yikes! 4.3 update pushed and I'm not ready!

Tip us?

mordango
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Yikes! 4.3 update pushed and I'm not ready!

So, I am S-OFF, unlocked and rooted. I tried to postpone the 4.3 update until later, after I'd done some research, but the download started anyway.

I assume I'll lose root with the update but I wonder if re-rooting will be possible. Can anyone comment?

Voodoo OTA does not work with 4.3's security updates so that's out.

jedifire
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I have no idea if you'll be able to reroot or not, but if you have a custom recovery, the OTA will still download, but will not install. The OTA needs the stock recovery in order to install correctly, so as long as you have CWM or TWRP, you should be good.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedifire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mordango
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedifire View Post
I have no idea if you'll be able to reroot or not, but if you have a custom recovery, the OTA will still download, but will not install. The OTA needs the stock recovery in order to install correctly, so as long as you have CWM or TWRP, you should be good.

Quite right. That's exactly what happened. That should have been plain to me. Cheers.

Tigerstown
Old
Thanks Meter 131
I believe there is a ota nag removal you can flash. But jedifire is correct also in above post👍

sent from my JAVA CARD S-OFF FAUX HBOOT BLUE HTC ONE! using the XDA premium app.
sent from my 4.1 8 core amd unlocked fx black editon beast machine

murtaza217
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordango View Post
So, I am S-OFF, unlocked and rooted. I tried to postpone the 4.3 update until later, after I'd done some research, but the download started anyway.

I assume I'll lose root with the update but I wonder if re-rooting will be possible. Can anyone comment?

you can disable the OTA updates by deleting, freezing or .bak ing:
Updater.apk
HtcOMADM_SettingsPlugin_VZW.apk
HtcOMADM_VZW.apk
in /system/app/ and rebooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to murtaza217 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

santod040
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5107

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by murtaza217 View Post
Updater.apk
HtcOMADM_VZW.apk
Correct, or just flash the zip I made that does this for you.
Current Devices: HTC Thunderbolt | HTC Droid DNA | HTC One

Follow me on Twitter
ULTIMATE WALLS WVGA Wallpaper Collection
Donations always appreciated! Never required!

The Following User Says Thank You to santod040 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lykarsis
Old
Thanks Meter 56

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordango View Post

So long as you are s-off, you will be able to re-root after the update. It was already confirmed by someone else on another thread that the update does not change s-off status so you should be good

synisterwolf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2068
even if you do get the OTA it wont install unless you have stock recovery. but yes you will need to remove the nag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet
You learn something new everyday. Unless you have a brain injury, then it's all pretty much yelling and coloring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antp121
When life gets ya down, just stop, think and remember, "hey, at least i'm not ant". #BlameAnt

rudyo78427
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I was rooted S-off and unlocked. I reflashed the stock recovery and accepted the OTA. After, I still had S-off and Unlocked. The only issue was that my radio signal was horrible. My phone would switch from 3G to 1x and sometimes not detect the data signal. My 4G was intermittent. Prior to the update, my phone signal was pretty good. After my phone signal is down to 1-2bars where I used to get 3-4bars signal showing. Plus if I toggled from wifi back to just mobile data, the mobile data took a while to kick in. I was unhappy, I called verizon support just to see what they would say and of course...Factory Reset. I did it and that didn't help. So since I had still had root, I have reverted back to the .10 version of software(ran decrypted RUU). Now my phone is back to normal and better than before.

gauchomark
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by murtaza217 View Post
Updater.apk
HtcOMADM_VZW.apk
I am running BoneStock and found the HtcOMADM* files but not Updater.apk. Is it in a different location or maybe omitted in bonestock? Will it matter as long as I rename the HtcOMADM* files?

I assume I also need to delete the OTA zip in the cache folder before I reboot?