5,598,657 Members 40,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Best ROM?
MIUI 7 77.78%
CyanogenMod 1 11.11%
PAC-man 0 0%
AOKP 1 11.11%
Slim ICS 0 0%
Liquid Smooth 0 0%
Paranoid Android 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

MIUI v5 Installation Tutorial

Tip us?
 
renold458
Old
(Last edited by renold458; 2nd December 2013 at 04:58 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 17
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default MIUI v5 Installation Tutorial

UPDATE 12/2/2013: The tutorial will remain for users who would like to change their own settings within the ROM or just like doing things themselves. However, I have included a Google Drive link to a modded ROM to skip most of the process, meaning you can just move this file to the root of your storage and flash and go from there. The link will be under Resources and I will try to update every Friday, no guarantees as I go to school and finals are coming up.

Hey guys, today I have a tutorial for anyone attempting to install MIUI v5 for the LG Optimus G LS970. I myself was totally hooked on this ROM seeing as it is totally different from Android yet still holds true to a lot of what Android is. Some setbacks are that this runs on Android JellyBean 4.2, a little dated for certain people and also not all options work, and you can scour around to figure out what those are as I personally have not testing everything. I do know that NFC is having problems and some people are having issues with phone services but there are workarounds that I will list in the resources below. Now for the tutorial.

*Note: This is what I did to get this to work based on the information found in the LS970 thread for MIUI v5 (linked below) and my constant attempts to see whats wrong, Im in no way a professional nor a developer just a user who wants to get things done. This may not work for everyone. If your phone messes up, I hold no responsibility as you did this out of your own choice and you have been warned. Credits go to siulmagic for the LS970 port and the work he was able to do with it, hopefully he can continue development. Credits also go to 2nd Sky for providing the basis for the tutorial. Links to their profile will be listed in the resources as well.

--Tutorial--

You will be flashing the F180/E975 ROM version of MIUI v5, and it is said you must install the recovery for the E975 in order to flash a ROM from this device, however this was not needed.

The following files will need to be downloaded:

7-Zip: http://www.7-zip.org/
LS970 MIUI ROM: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877489996359
F180/E975 MIUI ROM: http://rom.miui.com/download/view/359381#top (click the red button to download)
Custom Recovery: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ta...8sprint%29.zip (This is the latest TWRP version, but I used version 2.4.4.0, yet I do not think this matters)

Step 1: Install 7-Zip onto your PC. Once you have all files downloaded move all of them to the ROOT of your phone EXCEPT the F180/E975 ROM. This will not work if the files are not on the root as I have come to notice.

Step 2: Open up the F180/E975 ROM with 7-zip (it is a zip file). Navigate to the updater-script file and open it with Notepad (the location of the updater-script is META-INF-->com-->google-->android). To open with Notepad just double click the updater-script file and you will be ask to choose a program, choose Notepad of course. DO THIS ALL FROM THE ZIP FILE, DO NOT EXTRACT ANYTHING.

Step 3: With updater-script open, you will delete the following line:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "e975" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "e975");

That includes the semi-colon. Save the file within Notepad and close. Once you close 7-Zip will prompt you that the file was modified and if you would like to save, hit YES. This will now modify updater-script within the zip file. Let that finish and now the zip can be moved to the root of your phone along with the other files. OPEN UP UPDATER-SCRIPT WITHIN THE ZIP TO MAKE SURE THE CHANGE WAS MADE, I GOT AN ERROR WHEN I TRIED FLASHING AND IT WAS BECAUSE 7-ZIP DID NOT SAVE THE MODIFED UPDATER-SCRIPT. CLOSE THE ZIP FILE AND RE-OPEN IT AND CHECK ONE MORE TIME BEFORE TRANSFERRING TO THE ROOT OF YOUR OPTIMUS.

Step 4: Now flash install TWRP. If you do not have a custom recovery to begin with you can download Goo Manager from the Play Store and install through there and update if required. I did a dirty flash of MIUI, meaning I flashed without factory reset or anything. There is no need for GAPPS as they are already built into the ROM. Go into your custom recovery and you will want to flash the LS970 ROM. If all goes well it will install without problems and you can reboot into system and setup MIUI. If you get errors during install or afterwards, try wiping the system within TWRP and try again. All you want to do is just get to the homescreen for MIUI.

Step 5: Once you have been sent into the MIUI homescreen for the first time, you will boot into recovery again and proceed to flash the F180/E975 ROM. There should be no issues and the flash should go smoothly. There is no factory reset or clearing of cache because MIUI takes this as an update to the previous ROM, so when you boot back into MIUI you will go directly to the homescreen. Now, reboot back into recovery for the final time and wipe data then factory reset and reboot into system for a nice clean MIUI v5 setup. Enjoy your new ROM!

--FAQs--

Ask them in the thread, questions will be added to this post as well as their answers and whoever answered it.

1. Can this ROM be updated?

Yes the ROM can be updated, however OTA does not work currently until someone finds a fix. A workaround is downloading the updated ROM manually from the website (or on the phone) and following the instructions listed above and then flashing the modified updated ROM. Unfortunately this takes more time but if you want an updated MIUI v5 this is the only way to get it as of now and as of my knowledge.

--Resources--

Modded ROM (Current Version: 3.11.29 v5): https://drive.google.com/folderview?...UU&usp=sharing
Siulmagic's Profile: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=517347
2nd Sky's Profile: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=5310926
LS970 MIUI ROM Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2330690
F180/E975 MIUI ROM Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2489976
MIUI Official English Site: http://en.miui.com/
MIUI Official English Forums: http://en.miui.com/forum.php
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to renold458 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
babymatteo
Old
#2  
babymatteo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 697
Posts: 2,713
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SoCal
Did you just signup just to make this tutorial? Lol.

Thanks for the write up.
 
renold458
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 17
Join Date: Nov 2013
Nah lol I tried replying to the LS970 MIUI thread but couldnt because I needed 10 posts, I really wanted the ROM and it wouldnt work for me. Once I figured it out I felt other people had problems so I just wanted to help, might as well. Thanks though
 
iamterence
Old
#4  
iamterence's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 520
Posts: 1,340
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by renold458 View Post
Hey guys, today I have a tutorial for anyone attempting to install MIUI v5 for the LG Optimus G LS970. I myself was totally hooked on this ROM seeing as it is totally different from Android yet still holds true to a lot of what Android is. Some setbacks are that this runs on Android JellyBean 4.2, a little dated for certain people and also not all options work, and you can scour around to figure out what those are as I personally have not testing everything. I do know that NFC is having problems and some people are having issues with phone services but there are workarounds that I will list in the resources below. Now for the tutorial.

*Note: This is what I did to get this to work based on the information found in the LS970 thread for MIUI v5 (linked below) and my constant attempts to see whats wrong, Im in no way a professional nor a developer just a user who wants to get things done. This may not work for everyone. If your phone messes up, I hold no responsibility as you did this out of your own choice and you have been warned. Credits go to siulmagic for the LS970 port and the work he was able to do with it, hopefully he can continue development. Credits also go to 2nd Sky for providing the basis for the tutorial. Links to their profile will be listed in the resources as well.

--Tutorial--

You will be flashing the F180/E975 ROM version of MIUI v5, and it is said you must install the recovery for the E975 in order to flash a ROM from this device, however this was not needed.

The following files will need to be downloaded:

7-Zip: http://www.7-zip.org/
LS970 MIUI ROM: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877489996359
F180/E975 MIUI ROM: http://rom.miui.com/download/view/359381#top (click the red button to download)
Custom Recovery: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ta...8sprint%29.zip (This is the latest TWRP version, but I used version 2.4.4.0, yet I do not think this matters)

Step 1: Install 7-Zip onto your PC. Once you have all files downloaded move all of them to the ROOT of your phone EXCEPT the F180/E975 ROM. This will not work if the files are not on the root as I have come to notice.

Step 2: Open up the F180/E975 ROM with 7-zip (it is a zip file). Navigate to the updater-script file and open it with Notepad (the location of the updater-script is META-INF-->com-->google-->android). To open with Notepad just double click the updater-script file and you will be ask to choose a program, choose Notepad of course. DO THIS ALL FROM THE ZIP FILE, DO NOT EXTRACT ANYTHING.

Step 3: With updater-script open, you will delete the following line:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "e975" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "e975");

That includes the semi-colon. Save the file within Notepad and close. Once you close 7-Zip will prompt you that the file was modified and if you would like to save, hit YES. This will now modify updater-script within the zip file. Let that finish and now the zip can be moved to the root of your phone along with the other files. OPEN UP UPDATER-SCRIPT WITHIN THE ZIP TO MAKE SURE THE CHANGE WAS MADE, I GOT AN ERROR WHEN I TRIED FLASHING AND IT WAS BECAUSE 7-ZIP DID NOT SAVE THE MODIFED UPDATER-SCRIPT. CLOSE THE ZIP FILE AND RE-OPEN IT AND CHECK ONE MORE TIME BEFORE TRANSFERRING TO THE ROOT OF YOUR OPTIMUS.

Step 4: Now flash install TWRP. If you do not have a custom recovery to begin with you can download Goo Manager from the Play Store and install through there and update if required. I did a dirty flash of MIUI, meaning I flashed without factory reset or anything. There is no need for GAPPS as they are already built into the ROM. Go into your custom recovery and you will want to flash the LS970 ROM. If all goes well it will install without problems and you can reboot into system and setup MIUI. If you get errors during install or afterwards, try wiping the system within TWRP and try again. All you want to do is just get to the homescreen for MIUI.

Step 5: Once you have been sent into the MIUI homescreen for the first time, you will boot into recovery again and proceed to flash the F180/E975 ROM. There should be no issues and the flash should go smoothly. There is no factory reset or clearing of cache because MIUI takes this as an update to the previous ROM, so when you boot back into MIUI you will go directly to the homescreen. Now, reboot back into recovery for the final time and wipe data then factory reset and reboot into system for a nice clean MIUI v5 setup. Enjoy your new ROM! You can now get OTA updates as well.

--FAQs--

Ask them in the thread, questions will be added to this post as well as their answers and whoever answered it.

--Resources--

Siulmagic's Profile: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=517347
2nd Sky's Profile: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=5310926
LS970 MIUI ROM Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2330690
F180/E975 MIUI ROM Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2489976
MIUI Official English Site: http://en.miui.com/
MIUI Official English Forums: http://en.miui.com/forum.php
Nice write-up, dude! This is sure to help everyone who wants to run MIUI, including myself. Quick questions, how's it running? Like with data, MMS, SMS splitting, all that good stuff. I know we have some problems with our native build, so does the newer updates fix stuff? And speaking of updates, do they work flash and work properly? Thanks once again!!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
<img src=http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/TexasEpic/IamTerenceBanner_zpsd291eef9.png border=0 alt= />
Big ups to TexasEpic4G for the banner!
 
renold458
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 17
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamterence View Post
Nice write-up, dude! This is sure to help everyone who wants to run MIUI, including myself. Quick questions, how's it running? Like with data, MMS, SMS splitting, all that good stuff. I know we have some problems with our native build, so does the newer updates fix stuff? And speaking of updates, do they work flash and work properly? Thanks once again!!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
My phone is not activated under any carrier so I cannot test things like that. However I can say the camera works generally good, its a stock Android camera and has features youd expect. Focus works fine unlike on the LS970 MIUI build where focus for some reason wouldnt work. Newer updates do fix things and you can few changelogs on the MIUI forums. Unfortunately OTA does NOT work but you do download the update, it just fails to flash and Im currently trying to figure out a workaround. I will post my findings to the OP if I get it to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to renold458 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Whiplashh
Old
#6  
Whiplashh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1391
Posts: 2,690
Join Date: Jun 2012
So theoretically, if I go into the updaterscript, and change the APN's, the ROM should work just fine?

-Whiplashh
Need Help? Private Message me! Don't forget to hit that thanks button if I helped!
-
Devices: Evo Shift 4G (Dead) - Evo 4g (OG) - Sprint LG Optimus S - Sprint Galaxy S3 - Sprint Optimus G (LGOG) - Google Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: All running Stock or some form of Cyanogenmod. (CM7, 10, or 11). Except the Galaxy S3, it has some Wicked Sensations.
Current Devices: Sprint Optimus G, Google Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to Whiplashh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
iamterence
Old
#7  
iamterence's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 520
Posts: 1,340
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashh View Post
So theoretically, if I go into the updaterscript, and change the APN's, the ROM should work just fine?

-Whiplashh
Might be safer for us to dirty flash over our working build.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
<img src=http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/TexasEpic/IamTerenceBanner_zpsd291eef9.png border=0 alt= />
Big ups to TexasEpic4G for the banner!
 
nwsteeze
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 120
Join Date: Aug 2013
I changed the apns and set permissions but signal and data didn't work.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app
 
goast
Old
#9  
goast's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 480
Posts: 1,460
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hinesville, Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteeze View Post
I changed the apns and set permissions but signal and data didn't work.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app
+1

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
 
nwsteeze
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 120
Join Date: Aug 2013
If you dirty flashed the e975 version then it would fail while installing correct? If the updater lines weren't removed I don't see how it wouldn't fail.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes