finally rooted sph-l720 mk2

Search This thread

sk907

Jan 8, 2011
im on sph-l720 had 4.3 mk2 all methods was not working for me either would fail right off the bat or go thru the proccess say it was rooted then when doing root checker i wasnt rooted..... finally after messing with this for about a week i finally found a way to do it i used kingoapp.... this method was very simple and easy to use and i am now rooted..... just thought i would post this if there was those out there that was having the same trouble that i have been having

ibcenu

Oct 12, 2010
im on sph-l720 had 4.3 mk2 all methods was not working for me either would fail right off the bat or go thru the proccess say it was rooted then when doing root checker i wasnt rooted..... finally after messing with this for about a week i finally found a way to do it i used kingoapp.... this method was very simple and easy to use and i am now rooted..... just thought i would post this if there was those out there that was having the same trouble that i have been having
newbi (to s4)here and still looking... went to there site and didnt see the i720 on there list... did it trip knox when u rooted?

sk907

Jan 8, 2011
root

newbi (to s4)here and still looking... went to there site and didnt see the i720 on there list... did it trip knox when u rooted?

My Knox was tripped by one of the failed attempts. ... As far as I know the kingo route did not trip Knox unless the counter only stays on 1... If it adds up then no kingo did not trip my Knox that is something I'm not to sure of may be something to ask one of the ppl that know a lil more but I do know that Knox only voids the Samsung warranty. ..If something does happen u can still pay the deductible to replace ur phone... wich is only $150 that's as long as u have the insurance coverage on ur plan... As long as u follow the steps wich is really simple u won't brick... sph-l720 is not on the list for kingo but it does work that's what I used... All the other ways says that the su is out of date so I recommend if u are going to do it use kingo after I did that I downloaded rom manager n installed a CWM my phones working fine

Reactions: ibcenu

erquiagomon

Dec 2, 2013
What's up team,
still getting used to things around here and I apologize for the stupid questions in advance! However, you all have been amazing and helpful to me thus far and I appreciate it.

So, I finally decided to root my Sprint GS4 thanks to the helping hand of the great QBKing77

I was trying to go even further and be able to do the free hotspot which QBKing77 had a video for as well. However, I noticed that the download links that he had supplied us folks with did not include baseband version is MK2 - which is what I am currently running (whatever that means.)

So among several other questions, first and foremost; what can I do to get the free hotspot/tether with MK2? Should I simply download one of the other links instead or will this damage my device?

Also, as said, I am new to this. I just rooted my device for the first time and am unaware what the difference is between odexed and deodexed? What does this mean, what is the difference, and how do I know which one I am?

Leading in to that, I installed TWRP custom recovery. I tried to click on back up then select "boot," "system," and "data." However, it is saying that the attempt was failed. I am going to assume that this is because the whole back up would be roughly 3gb's and it says that I have only 502mb's available on my phone.
I read somewhere a while back that I could delete stock apps from my phone after I route. How can I do this? I am guessing that this would free up a significant amount of storage and thus could accomplish the back up. Is it safe to delete stock apps? How can I know which apps I can safely uninstall?

Thanks guys! Any other tips or tricks or words of advice...even constructive criticism are welcomed!

:cowboy:

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
What's up team,
still getting used to things around here and I apologize for the stupid questions in advance! However, you all have been amazing and helpful to me thus far and I appreciate it.

So, I finally decided to root my Sprint GS4 thanks to the helping hand of the great QBKing77

I was trying to go even further and be able to do the free hotspot which QBKing77 had a video for as well. However, I noticed that the download links that he had supplied us folks with did not include baseband version is MK2 - which is what I am currently running (whatever that means.)

So among several other questions, first and foremost; what can I do to get the free hotspot/tether with MK2? Should I simply download one of the other links instead or will this damage my device?

Also, as said, I am new to this. I just rooted my device for the first time and am unaware what the difference is between odexed and deodexed? What does this mean, what is the difference, and how do I know which one I am?

Leading in to that, I installed TWRP custom recovery. I tried to click on back up then select "boot," "system," and "data." However, it is saying that the attempt was failed. I am going to assume that this is because the whole back up would be roughly 3gb's and it says that I have only 502mb's available on my phone.
I read somewhere a while back that I could delete stock apps from my phone after I route. How can I do this? I am guessing that this would free up a significant amount of storage and thus could accomplish the back up. Is it safe to delete stock apps? How can I know which apps I can safely uninstall?

Thanks guys! Any other tips or tricks or words of advice...even constructive criticism are welcomed!

:cowboy:

You can find the MK2 hotspot mod in this thread post #337: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2256950&page=34
Make sure you download the correct one. If you only rooted the stock rom then you need the odexed version, if you downloaded and installed a custom rom then you need the deodexed one. As you guessed, if you use the wrong one you will brick your phone.

TWRP backup, you need an external sdcard if you want to make backups or your internal memory will max out. If you have an external sdcard, look on the twrp backup page closely and you should see an option to switch to the external sdcard.

Stock apps delete, you can delete stock apps if you are rooted but be careful, if you don't know which ones can safely be removed then search on here to make sure you don't delete one that is required. You will need a file explorer app that has root permissions to access the system partition. I would recommend an app like titanium backup to remove these apps so that you can first back them up so you can replace it if you mess up. Again, you should use an external sdcard or it doesn't make sense to back up if you are doing it to save space.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    root

My Knox was tripped by one of the failed attempts. ... As far as I know the kingo route did not trip Knox unless the counter only stays on 1... If it adds up then no kingo did not trip my Knox that is something I'm not to sure of may be something to ask one of the ppl that know a lil more but I do know that Knox only voids the Samsung warranty. ..If something does happen u can still pay the deductible to replace ur phone... wich is only $150 that's as long as u have the insurance coverage on ur plan... As long as u follow the steps wich is really simple u won't brick... sph-l720 is not on the list for kingo but it does work that's what I used... All the other ways says that the su is out of date so I recommend if u are going to do it use kingo after I did that I downloaded rom manager n installed a CWM my phones working fine