Trying to root P930 from Bell and failing miserably :(

Search This thread

angelus360

Dec 26, 2013
Hi!

I've been trying to root the LG P930 from Bell for the last couple of days, and I've tried essentially all the guides and nothing works :(
It's running 4.0.4 and s/w version is LG-P930-V20e-Jul-22-2012.

I'm at wits end now, trying to root it!

I tried the latest Framaroot, it didn't work, I also tried the "Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33" method, and that kept getting an error along the lines as "couldn't find ric" folder. Another common one I tried, where I had to copy "LG_SystemBackupTest.apk" and then reboot, etc kept getting an error where it was permission denied copying superuser and busybox.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try??

Thanks!

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Did you try Matman's unbricking guide? I don't think there is any way to root unless you go through the unbrick process.

Reactions: angelus360

angelus360

Dec 26, 2013
Did you try Matman's unbricking guide? I don't think there is any way to root unless you go through the unbrick process.

I haven't tried that yet, but I guess I will try that! I thought these other ways would work, but oh well! Thanks for the tip, I'll report back if it works/doesn't work :good:

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I haven't tried that yet, but I guess I will try that! I thought these other ways would work, but oh well! Thanks for the tip, I'll report back if it works/doesn't work :good:

I believe you need to revert back to GB in order to unlock the bootloader and get root access which the unbrick process requires.

I highly recommend using a WinXP x86 machine if possible. I didn't have much luck with x64 machines.

angelus360

Dec 26, 2013
I believe you need to revert back to GB in order to unlock the bootloader and get root access which the unbrick process requires.

I highly recommend using a WinXP x86 machine if possible. I didn't have much luck with x64 machines.

Sounds good! Is this the unbricking guide you mentioned? There seems to be a few on the forum!

Thanks!

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto

angelus360

Dec 26, 2013

Truepeace

Jan 25, 2013

angelus360

Dec 26, 2013
This guide worked for me great http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044645
And that was my first time rooting a phone so I guarantee you this one also works and you don't have to type cmd commands, have a quick read and decide which one to use. In the end both methods will have your phone rooted.

So I tried the Hereric method and I'm getting stuck on Step 7:

7 - Run TPSparkyRoot.bat, following the instructions in the window.

When I run the bat, it gets this error: cannot create /data/local.prop Permission denied

Any ideas? :(

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8

When I run the bat, it gets this error: cannot create /data/local.prop Permission denied

Try the method here under JB ROOTING. Works for me. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=
Also I have a new way of installing cam so you don't need to follow Hereric's guide. I have the thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2598278

Sent from my LG-P930 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Swetnes

Aug 2, 2012
OnePlus 8
I tried that method as well and it also has the permission denied error...I'm gonna give up soon I think, nothing works! :(

Try uninstalling the LG drivers. Reboot the computer then reinstall, then reboot. After that use the LG mobile support tool to update the phone back to v20e. Then try the root method again. Just remember to follow the steps precisely.

Truepeace

Jan 25, 2013

Try running the CMD as administrator, I have done 3 times the hereric method and it worked.

angelus360

Dec 26, 2013
So in the end, I managed to root, yay!!

It ended up being because of my computer it seems. I was using a macbook pro with windows on it, and it seemed to just not work. The minute I tried another PC, the hereric method worked on the first try basically :D

The only issue im having now is, finding a proper ROM. The Avatar ROM works, but it keeps crashing randomly for some reason, no matter the version I try :confused:

just1nsama

Jan 7, 2013
Quebec
I've rooted my Bell P930 using this method http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2044645 ... i was failing using windows 7, but succeeded using WINDOWS XP.

EDIT: nevermind, i just read your above post, bleeeeh =) as for you crashes, i dont really know avatar, but FULL WIPE before flashing a ROM is recommended in my experience.

FULL WIPE:

Factory reset, wipe system, wipe dache, wipe dalvik.

Flash ROM, flash gapps, reboot .... if that doesnt work you might want to try another ROM, CM10.1.3 is pretty much to more stable of all, personnaly im using CM11, not having any issues other than my phone slows down when battery is running out, still in developement.

Last edited:

Truepeace

Jan 25, 2013
So in the end, I managed to root, yay!!

It ended up being because of my computer it seems. I was using a macbook pro with windows on it, and it seemed to just not work. The minute I tried another PC, the hereric method worked on the first try basically :D

The only issue im having now is, finding a proper ROM. The Avatar ROM works, but it keeps crashing randomly for some reason, no matter the version I try :confused:

Congrats mate :) I suggest you flash one of the most popular roms the Cyanogenmod 10.1.3 (stable) which is equivalent to the stock android version 4.2.2
Unless you want to try the nightly (not stable) version of cyanogenmod 11 which refers to android kitkat.
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=p930

And I recommend flashing also the WIND kernel, very friendly kernel for the battery and for the CPU.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2119976

Don't forget to wipe your phone before flashing the custom ROM
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1926754

angelus360

Dec 26, 2013
Just wanted to post a quick thanks to audit13, Truepeace, Swetnes and just1nsama for their help in getting this to finalllly work for me. I'm super happy that this phone is far more useful (and speedy) than before! I really appreciate it guys! :victory:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just wanted to post a quick thanks to audit13, Truepeace, Swetnes and just1nsama for their help in getting this to finalllly work for me. I'm super happy that this phone is far more useful (and speedy) than before! I really appreciate it guys! :victory:

Ah, so I found it, but it says its for SU640 only? Not for P930?

As long as its the root file it's ok. DO NOT use the cwm link it might brick your phone. Use the one from my thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2598278

I tried that method as well and it also has the permission denied error...I'm gonna give up soon I think, nothing works! :(

Try uninstalling the LG drivers. Reboot the computer then reinstall, then reboot. After that use the LG mobile support tool to update the phone back to v20e. Then try the root method again. Just remember to follow the steps precisely.