Using Link2SD Most effectively for Android Phones

Tip us?

zaeemsheikh
Old
(Last edited by zaeemsheikh; 28th March 2013 at 07:45 AM.) Reason: Modification
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Lightbulb Using Link2SD Most effectively for Android Phones

In this article I will be describing the usage of Link2SD most effectively for android devices running 2.2 or higher or Custom ROMs.

[
Note: Your Device MUST be Rooted and have Link2SD installed with a partitioned SD Card. If not Rooted, you may visit my page on Rooting and Partitioning using the link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37849627#post37849627

Rooting and Partitioning is Universal and can be done almost all the Android Devices using the same way but by using only the right update.zip meant for the particular Device.

Have you installed Link2SD after doing partition, but still are not able to free up enough space? The reason for this problem is that even after you link the application to SD, some portion of the app, remains on the Internal Memory. These files are called DEX files which occupy space in the Dalvik cache of the Internal Memory.
In this Guide I will be teaching you how to move most of the portion of the Application to the SD Card.

There are basically two types of apps. First those which phone memory only, i.e. can’t be moved to external storage without using third party applications. Such as WhatsApp, widgets, Anti-Viruses etc. To move these apps, Simply Select the app and Create Link. Then tick all the three options of Link Apk file, Link Dalvik-Cache files and Link Lib files. Now these apps will be moved to the partitioned storage without affecting their working. (Only a small portion may remain on the Internal memory which cannot be moved and is necessary for the proper working of app.)
The second category is of the apps which can be moved to SD. But Sometimes the problem with these applications is that not the whole part of the Application is stored on the SD card. Some portion remains on the internal storage which maybe annoying because even after Linking these apps nothing happens, instead they occupy even more space on the internal memory.

Now let us begin with the procedure.
1. Install Link2SD.
2. Open Link to SD. Filter the apps which are on Phone Memory only.
3. Select them all and Link them to SD using Create Link. Remember to tick all the 3 options- Link apk files, Link Dalvik (DEX) files & Link Lib files before creating the Link. This should free a lot of space.
4. Now Filter the apps on SD cards. Sort them in the order of Dex Size
5. You will find the culprit apps accused of stealing your precious internal storage.
6. The Dex Size indicates the size the app has been occupying on the internal storage.
7. Now Multi-Select the apps (5-10 at a time, because the whole apps will be moved to internal memory first before being transferred to the SD Card.), Select Actions -> Create Link. Select only Link Dalvik-cache files.
8. First the applications will be moved to SD, then Linked. It will take a minute or so.
9. After they are linked, It will take some time before it shows free internal storage.
10. Similarly do the same for all the other apps which acquire considerable amount of space.
By this method, you will get a lot of free space.

Want to free up even more?

Almost all the devices come with pre-installed Bloat ware, i.e. programs that are hardly use but occupy unnecessary space on the phone memory. Moving them to SD is a good option.

IMPORTANT: Do not uninstall or move system apps which are important for proper functioning of the system. You may end up damaging your device. It is recommended to make a backup of Current ROM using CWM.

The following system apps have been removed by me which do not cause any instability to the system but free up a lot of space.
1. Quickoffice
2. Email
3 Google Maps

If you use these apps, you may consider another option, i.e. converting these apps to user apps. This won’t affect in the functioning of the programs.

1. Select the app in Link2SD.
2. From options, select convert to user app.
3. Now the app will be moved to SD card but will occupy space on internal Memory.
4. Follow the above instructions of Link Dalvik-Cache and moving to SD using App2SD.
5. You are done! You must have freed a lot of space. Now you may start installing New Apps without giving a thought about your internal storage!

You can also free some more space( if occupied) by the following Methods:
1. Clearing the App Cache using App2SD or Link2SD.
2. Clearing the Dalvik-Cache using Link2SD. Link2SD->Options->more->Clear Dalvik Cache.

HIT THANKS IF MY POST HELPED YOU
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to zaeemsheikh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zaeemsheikh
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Remember: Some apps may stop functioning or may Force Close. To fix this problem Re-install the app using Link2SD.

Mahmoud Ezzat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down :/

Actually, this procedure filled my internal storage not freed it :/

zaeemsheikh
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmoud Ezzat View Post
Actually, this procedure filled my internal storage not freed it :/
Yeah! I can see why.
You must have done something wrong. Follow the procedure correctly.

Mahmoud Ezzat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeemsheikh View Post
Yeah! I can see why.
You must have done something wrong. Follow the procedure correctly.
I'm sure I did follow it correctly, I also rebooted to clear any cached fake storage, but it didn't do me any good.
Thanks anyway.

Molinari
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmoud Ezzat View Post
I'm sure I did follow it correctly, I also rebooted to clear any cached fake storage, but it didn't do me any good.
Thanks anyway.
I've noticed that moving via apps2sd uses internal for dex and libs, they have to be linked in order to save space.
Go to linked, multiselect and choose create links.I have to do this lately after every reboot as it leaves some files unlinked and some uninstalled alltogether!.
Phone: HTC Sensation 4G
ROM: CyanogenMod 10.1 Jellybean 4.2.2 - KANG

HEZAiKU
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I got problem after move installed apps when i create link for it. The apps cannot open and when i remove link, the apps still can't open.
Please find the solution for it.
SONY ERICSSON XPERIA PLAY
SO-01D 4.0.1.C.1.21 +

error404
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Default data to sd?

is it possible to link data to sd? i can't install anything else on my phone because the data partition is full.

zzztidurvirus
Old
Thanks Meter 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by yudroid View Post
is it possible to link data to sd? i can't install anything else on my phone because the data partition is full.
Link those huge data files? Yes you can. Use directory bind / folder mount.

Paradox ST21i
Now using:
Xperia Play R800i
(Untouched Stock)
Xperia E1 Dual
(A Gift To My Brother - But I will play around with it for a while)

angarg
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks. I followed the steps but unfortunately the apps still occupy space on the internal memory. e.g. I have 3 apps -

1. Google Play services
2. Titanium backup
3. Maps

After creating a link, these apps still show up on internal memory using 12.25 MB, 12.92MB and 8.28 MB memory respectively. No effect at all. I have followed the exact steps. If i move them to SD card, it frees up some space but i believe that is not what is recommended?

Need someone's help to fix it. I have searched internet and they all talk about the same steps but does not seems to work. My phone is samsung ace S5830.