Activesync Support Code : 80072efd Easy Fix
First Post. And just wanted to help
I finally found the solution to an ongoing issue on my machine
"The server could not be reached. This can be caused by temporary network conditions. Support Code:80072efd"
I have a t-mobile mda with K-AM_WWE_216901_2169101_020710_ship rom installed and a windows xp sp 2 machine; I also have an exchange server sp2. I have been testing this phone big-time to rollout for numerous clients.
The problem came in after I had push mail working and went to sync locally over USB or Bluetooth. Active sync 4.1 would give me the error.
The solution was as follows for me
My mx record points to mail.domain.com but my server name is server.domain.com so I entered an "A" record in dns on my dns server named mail to point at the local ip address.
All was solved
I also ran into a problem on push mail early on where it would sync once and then not again, the issue was as easy in the default web page I turned on "enable keep alives" and changed the timeout to 1800 seconds.
I hope this helps.