4.4 and Non-VZW carriers

Search This thread

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
These issues apply to T-Mobile users installing the current build of 4.4 (and possibly other GSM carriers but I don't have an ATT SIM to test). Motorola is aware of the issue. I read these forums pretty thoroughly and I've been answering these questions all over so I figured I'd just put them all one place. Issues as follows:

- Devices with the LTE radio active cannot send SMS
- Devices with the LTE radio active cannot send MMS (Carrier/Settings dependent)
- Devices with the LTE radio active cannot make phone calls and instantly disconnects on call attempt.

Urban Legends:

- Stock tethering does not work - I have personally tested on TMO and know it does work. Yer doin' it wrong.

Fixes

Easiest fix for now if you're on a device running 4.4 and want to... you know... be able to use your phone... is to use phone information and switch the radio mode over to GSM Only (not the auto one). This fix is a little finicky because if the phone realizes it's not running in the mode selected on your mobile networks screen it will override and turn LTE back on if you haven't selected UMTS only.

Full steps are:
Mobile network settings - Change network mode to LTE/GSM/UMTS
Mobile network settings - Select network UMTS Only
Install app linked below
Open Phone Info and select GSM Only

Phone info apk for sideload - http://www.mediafire.com/download/284l17ry2ok1yuk/Phone_info_1.3.apk

I'll update this thread as I discover more issues or as people post issues that can be replicated below.

Last edited:

vuphongkkk

Apr 3, 2011
Thank you. Finally I got the LTE turn off.
I gotta switch the mobile mode to LTE/UMTS/ gsm and select network as UMTS only. Then use phone info choose gsm only.

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

rds217

Sep 17, 2013
New York
I'm on T-Mobile and live in an HSPA+ refarmed area (NYC), but there are places I go on a regular basis that aren't refarmed. I set it on "WCDMA preferred" and voila, I have both 2 & 3G connectivity, with preference given to 3G.

I can't post links, but this XDA thread explains it in more detail I think: ... showthread.php?t=688492

Last edited:

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Just popped a sim in today. Getting LTE but really hating the call fail bug. Gotta place the call twice repeatedly to get it through

Maxx'd out Kit Kat

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Update: Having major glitches when running LTE, pretty deal breaking for a full switch to tmo right now. Eagerly awaiting the new OTA to see if it fixes it. Seems to have major issues on the HSPA/LTE handoff. How did it function prior to 4.4?

Maxx'd out Kit Kat

vuphongkkk

Apr 3, 2011
On 4.2.2 was working fine, the phone just switch from LTE to 3g itself when you need to make phone call. But I had problem on 4.2.2 that if I connect to WiFi then it'll take awhile to get the LTE back. Normally an hour after out of WiFi range

vlcano57

May 12, 2007
Mooresville
On 4.2.2 was working fine, the phone just switch from LTE to 3g itself when you need to make phone call. But I had problem on 4.2.2 that if I connect to WiFi then it'll take awhile to get the LTE back. Normally an hour after out of WiFi range

Maybe thats the problem I was having? I just ended up with a 4.2.2 phone after my 4.4 got destroyed. LTE wouldnt work for me but I was in the house after switching off wifi...hmmm

vlcano57

May 12, 2007
Mooresville
Arcanexvi what's the best APN to use for 4.2.2? And do I have to have phone info installed or can I uninstall it? Since I changed all the settings to get hspa+ I forgot what the default settings were. =\ whoops and thanks for all your help so far

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
Arcanexvi what's the best APN to use for 4.2.2? And do I have to have phone info installed or can I uninstall it? Since I changed all the settings to get hspa+ I forgot what the default settings were. =\ whoops and thanks for all your help so far

APN: fast.t-mobile.com
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

You can uninstall it if you want. It's extremely small though so no reason to do so unless you just don't want to see the icon. Uninstalling will NOT reset your settings.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

vlcano57

May 12, 2007
Mooresville
Thanks! I messed myself all up though.
In android mobile network settings should I have network mode as global, LTE/CDMA or LTE/gsm/umts?
If its LTE/gsm/umts do I still use gsm only under select network?
And if I leave phone info installed do I have to change anything on there for LTE to work? Phone info seems to change the network selection in the app on its own so I just stopped messing with it. Thanks and sorry to be a pain

vuphongkkk

Apr 3, 2011
If you on 4.4 you don't have to change anything to have LTE work on your phone. Follow step by step from the beginning of the thread to turn off LTE

vlcano57

May 12, 2007
Mooresville
I'm on 4.2.2 and already changed settings. So was curious on what the original settings on 4.2.2 are to get LTE working with APN settings

vuphongkkk

Apr 3, 2011
4.2.2 rarely get LTE data. Choose network mode as LTE/gsm/UMTS . select network as automatic. Don't use the phone info. If you already use the phone info app in this thread then use it again to switch back to LTE/gsm.. Or the option that has evething.
Remember to add APN fast.t-mobile.com
But as I mentioned, 4.2.2 has some problem with the radio , so it rarely pick up LTE

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    These issues apply to T-Mobile users installing the current build of 4.4 (and possibly other GSM carriers but I don't have an ATT SIM to test). Motorola is aware of the issue. I read these forums pretty thoroughly and I've been answering these questions all over so I figured I'd just put them all one place. Issues as follows:

- Devices with the LTE radio active cannot send SMS
    - Devices with the LTE radio active cannot send MMS (Carrier/Settings dependent)
    - Devices with the LTE radio active cannot make phone calls and instantly disconnects on call attempt.

Urban Legends:

- Stock tethering does not work - I have personally tested on TMO and know it does work. Yer doin' it wrong.

Fixes

Easiest fix for now if you're on a device running 4.4 and want to... you know... be able to use your phone... is to use phone information and switch the radio mode over to GSM Only (not the auto one). This fix is a little finicky because if the phone realizes it's not running in the mode selected on your mobile networks screen it will override and turn LTE back on if you haven't selected UMTS only.

Full steps are:
    Mobile network settings - Change network mode to LTE/GSM/UMTS
    Mobile network settings - Select network UMTS Only
    Install app linked below
    Open Phone Info and select GSM Only

Phone info apk for sideload - http://www.mediafire.com/download/284l17ry2ok1yuk/Phone_info_1.3.apk

I'll update this thread as I discover more issues or as people post issues that can be replicated below.
    From Verizon to T-Mobile

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ks8vksgw93pydl8/Phone_info_1.3.apk

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    H+ is not 4g but its speed is fast enough . it's faster than 3g but slower than 4g to compare

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

H+ = 3.75g

Vodafone confirmed for anyone wondering.

H+ for UMTS only,

Edge for global.

No Sim adjusting at all :)
    You got it. H+ is = to 4g