XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't seem to boot into recovery...

Tip us?

LifeAsADroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60

DONATE TO ME
Default Can't seem to boot into recovery...

What's up everybody. I've searched through the questions forum and can't seem to find a thread to help me, so...

I wanted to flash dhacker's 4.4 ROM. So first I want to make a backup of my phone pending something goes horribly wrong. I'm having issues booting into recovery. When I click on "recovery", the phone seems to restart like it's going into recovery, then I get a sleeping android bot with his belly open and a red triangle with an exclamation point in it on my screen, forcing me to reboot the phone. Any ideas?

- Is it that I don't have an updated version of CWM or TWRP? Anyone have links to working versions?

- Is it that I have the "lite" versions of said apps above and need to donate to open the recovery features?

- Is it something else and I'm just not smart enough to think of what it could be?

Thanks for the help!

RikRong
Old
Thanks Meter 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAsADroid View Post
What's up everybody. I've searched through the questions forum and can't seem to find a thread to help me, so...

I wanted to flash dhacker's 4.4 ROM. So first I want to make a backup of my phone pending something goes horribly wrong. I'm having issues booting into recovery. When I click on "recovery", the phone seems to restart like it's going into recovery, then I get a sleeping android bot with his belly open and a red triangle with an exclamation point in it on my screen, forcing me to reboot the phone. Any ideas?

- Is it that I don't have an updated version of CWM or TWRP? Anyone have links to working versions?

- Is it that I have the "lite" versions of said apps above and need to donate to open the recovery features?

- Is it something else and I'm just not smart enough to think of what it could be?

Thanks for the help!
The dead robot is your stock recovery screen. You need to hold vol+ and tap pwr at the same time to get into your stock recovery.

When you flash a recovery.img, you need to immediately boot back into the recovery to get the updater script to finish. If you don't boot straight into recovery after flashing, the stock recovery will override the aftermarket recovery. Also, do you have an unlocked bootloader?

LifeAsADroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
The dead robot is your stock recovery screen. You need to hold vol+ and tap pwr at the same time to get into your stock recovery.

When you flash a recovery.img, you need to immediately boot back into the recovery to get the updater script to finish. If you don't boot straight into recovery after flashing, the stock recovery will override the aftermarket recovery. Also, do you have an unlocked bootloader?
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I did at one point have an unlocked bootloader, but I wasn't sure whether the latest OTA updates only blocked the ability to unlock (if someone hadn't already unlocked) or if it locked back up the already unlocked ones.

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I did at one point have an unlocked bootloader, but I wasn't sure whether the latest OTA updates only blocked the ability to unlock (if someone hadn't already unlocked) or if it locked back up the already unlocked ones.
once the bootloader is unlocked, it cant be locked back.
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

LifeAsADroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 60

DONATE TO ME
Bonus. That's what I thought, something about creating a small nuclear explosion in the phone that destroys the bootloader locking resistor or something. Glad I took care of that prior to the update that shut the door on that exploit.

Something else I thought of... I'm reading that 4.4 makes it much harder to root phones. I guess we won't know until the OTA release comes out, but I'm hoping Voodoo Rootkeeper maintains root during the update like it has in the past for me in previous updates.

RikRong
Old
Thanks Meter 370
Quote:
Bonus. That's what I thought, something about creating a small nuclear explosion in the phone that destroys the bootloader locking resistor or something. Glad I took care of that prior to the update that shut the door on that exploit.

Something else I thought of... I'm reading that 4.4 makes it much harder to root phones. I guess we won't know until the OTA release comes out, but I'm hoping Voodoo Rootkeeper maintains root during the update like it has in the past for me in previous updates.
If your bootloader is unlocked, you don't need to maintain root. You just need to flash a SU zip in recovery.

peladoro
Old
(Last edited by peladoro; 27th December 2013 at 04:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
so if i unlock my bootloader, i will still be able to receive the eventual ota 4.4 update correct?

Quote:
If your bootloader is unlocked, you don't need to maintain root. You just need to flash a SU zip in recovery.

RikRong
Old
Thanks Meter 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by peladoro View Post
so if i unlock my bootloader, i will still be able to receive the eventual ota 4.4 update correct?
Yes, but you won't be able to unlock if you're system version is newer than May.

peladoro
Old
Thanks Meter 6
hey rikrong...as i had mentioned in another thread, found out that i am indeed able to root unlock etc...(xt925). so it's safe to say that unlocking the bootloader for obvious reasons is needed to flash roms but is not negatively affecting the phone from functioning in anyway right? sorry if these r stupid questions but just trying to understand...the only issue is warranty

Quote:
Yes, but you won't be able to unlock if you're system version is newer than May.

RikRong
Old
Thanks Meter 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by peladoro View Post
hey rikrong...as i had mentioned in another thread, found out that i am indeed able to root unlock etc...(xt925). so it's safe to say that unlocking the bootloader for obvious reasons is needed to flash roms but is not negatively affecting the phone from functioning in anyway right? sorry if these r stupid questions but just trying to understand...the only issue is warranty
Yeah, sorry, I lose track of the posts. Just simply unlocking the BL should have no adverse affect on the phone, just the warranty, like you said.

The Following User Says Thank You to RikRong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]