5,593,248 Members 32,381 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

htc keeps asking for MTP driver?

Tip us?

jark99
Old
(Last edited by jark99; 8th March 2011 at 03:56 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Default htc keeps asking for MTP driver?

Dezire z keeps askinf for MTP drivee?? i recently flashed mexdroid rom, and in the beginning none of the usbs would connect my phone. I thought it was a nightly issue as it was based off of a nightly but now its using RC1.
Recently i played around, it wouldnt connect with the "ADB or Android phone driver." I fixed that and those work fine in Device Manager in Windows 7. However!, in device manager it KEEPS asking for MTP. i tried uninstalling, updating, everything!! and it just wont find my htc desire z.

ADB can find it when using command prompt. It can even logcat, and its weird why ADB can see it but windows cant. I have posted a Download link to the Logcat file. Im hoping anyone here can help me.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21509455/logcat.txt
thanks

edit* i think i read somewhere Android doesnt use MTP drivers....-confused-

windows 7 can see my phone and lets me safely remove it too, but wont let me see it in my computer.

pmcqueen
Old
Thanks Meter 92
issues I was having with W7 x64 were resolved by PDANet. you might try it out, although your issue is slightly different than mine... the device was entirely unrecognizable (by adb, fastboot, the whole shebang).

edit: NOTE you don't need to actually use PDAnet, it will just locate an appropriate driver and install it for you, then you can uninstall it from your PC.. unless you want to use it, of course. pretty slick.

jark99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcqueen View Post
issues I was having with W7 x64 were resolved by PDANet. you might try it out, although your issue is slightly different than mine... the device was entirely unrecognizable (by adb, fastboot, the whole shebang).

edit: NOTE you don't need to actually use PDAnet, it will just locate an appropriate driver and install it for you, then you can uninstall it from your PC.. unless you want to use it, of course. pretty slick.
ive done this and it found the proper driver. "Android phone" BUT when it tries to connect with device, it says "failed to handshake with device" and proceeds to uninstall pdanet. Is it because its conflicting with windows 7 cant find the MTP driver?.... sooo confused.. never, ever had this problem

edit* after pdanet is uninstalled, the Android phone driver works fine, but MTP does not.

pmcqueen
Old
(Last edited by pmcqueen; 8th March 2011 at 12:00 AM.)
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jark99 View Post
ive done this and it found the proper driver. "Android phone" BUT when it tries to connect with device, it says "failed to handshake with device" and proceeds to uninstall pdanet. Is it because its conflicting with windows 7 cant find the MTP driver?.... sooo confused.. never, ever had this problem

edit* after pdanet is uninstalled, the Android phone driver works fine, but MTP does not.
that's a bugger.

when you plug the phone in, in device manager, does it show as a USB mass storage device under the USB controller section? to check: unplug all usb devices (aside from input devices like keyboard/mouse/what-have-you). plug in your phone and go to device manager (right click my computer->manage->device manager). under USB controllers, check and see if there is a USB mass storage device. assuming you have disconnected any other storage media, this is your phone.

if it does:
uninstall this driver, unplug your phone, restart, plug your phone back in.
if it doesn't:
my next step (take it for what it's worth - I'm sure there's an easier way) would be to unplug all usb devices (including keyboard/mouse - anything USB related), uninstall EVERYTHING under the USB Controller submenu, then restart and plug the phone in.

W7 should automatically recognize and reinstall the USB host controllers and hubs.

edit: are you using any other USB storage devices? thumb drives, ext harddrives, etc? do they work?

jark99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcqueen View Post
that's a bugger.

when you plug the phone in, in device manager, does it show as a USB mass storage device under the USB controller section? to check: unplug all usb devices (aside from input devices like keyboard/mouse/what-have-you). plug in your phone and go to device manager (right click my computer->manage->device manager). under USB controllers, check and see if there is a USB mass storage device. assuming you have disconnected any other storage media, this is your phone.

if it does:
uninstall this driver, unplug your phone, restart, plug your phone back in.
if it doesn't:
my next step (take it for what it's worth - I'm sure there's an easier way) would be to unplug all usb devices (including keyboard/mouse - anything USB related), uninstall EVERYTHING under the USB Controller submenu, then restart and plug the phone in.

W7 should automatically recognize and reinstall the USB host controllers and hubs.

edit: are you using any other USB storage devices? thumb drives, ext harddrives, etc? do they work?

Under the usb section in device manager, i have about 8 or so usb controllers and stuff. Im using a Gateway Laptop and only one thing is using a usb port--- the mouse. Thats all. So i dont really have a clue which one is my htc phone because when plugging it in and going into device manager the only devices i remember using the phone were adb, android phone, and Now MTP. If i could pinpoint which usb controller is using my phone ill uninstall it. Other than that, what else is there? This is the strangest problem ever
Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

jark99
Old
(Last edited by jark99; 8th March 2011 at 02:55 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
sighh, comeon guys. here ill post some pics of what is going on

Here are the pics of what is going on!!

Normal mode (no phone plugged in) - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21509455/normal%20mode.jpg

Phone plugged in mode - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21509455/pho...ugged%20in.png

Uninstalled MTP & ADB driver Picture (looking for drivers)
-http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21509455/pho...%20drivers.jpg

Phone with ADB driver but no MTP - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21509455/pho...o%20mtp%20.jpg

hope this helps , if you find something that can make this work let me know ASAP

jark99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
140 views? and no one knows how to fix this problem?? anyone? hello?

ianmcquinn
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jark99 View Post
140 views? and no one knows how to fix this problem?? anyone? hello?
Have you tried the drivers from the official HTC Sync software? Also, are you actually trying to use the phone as an MTP device or as a USB mass storage device? I don't think you can use both at the same time (though I don't use this ROM so maybe things have changed). If you don't actually want the MTP functionality, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I noticed the notes for the ROM says "USB mounting is not working on a Windows OS computer" is a known issue. Not sure if that could be related...

jark99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcquinn View Post
Have you tried the drivers from the official HTC Sync software? Also, are you actually trying to use the phone as an MTP device or as a USB mass storage device? I don't think you can use both at the same time (though I don't use this ROM so maybe things have changed). If you don't actually want the MTP functionality, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I noticed the notes for the ROM says "USB mounting is not working on a Windows OS computer" is a known issue. Not sure if that could be related...
im trying to use it as a mass storage device, MTP isnt supposed to show up from what i read. but now it wont start without MTP

pmcqueen
Old
Thanks Meter 92
did you try what I pm'd you earlier today?