5,593,793 Members 45,940 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Desire Z bad sensors and no vibration (after servicing)

Tip us?

boque
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Desire Z bad sensors and no vibration (after servicing)

Recently I bricked my Desire Z with wrong hboot. I had no choice but to get it to a repairman.. He said he used RiffBox. That was the only way to do it. When I got the phone back, vibration didn't work at all... and after a while I noticed that few sensors (linear g... orientation...) work like crazy, after a while they don't work at all... One more thing I noticed, comparing with my original box, my imei is OK but serial number and MAC address are different than before giving it to repairman... He said he didn't change any of hardware, but he looks very suspicious. Is it possible when using RiffBox to change MAC and serial number? Anybody have an idea how to fix sensors?
Thank you in advance.

boque
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Sensors.

Maybe if someone knew if the main reason for faulty sensors could be a ribbon cable? Where are the sensors located at all?

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2338
It is possible the repair guy did something shady, but hard to say for sure.
The vibrator is part of sdcard tray and that connects direct to the logic board, the other sensors would be effected by the main flex cable so there really isn't one cable that would cause your issue
The mac address and imei are located in the efs partitions but I'm not 100% on the serial numbers location. Yes it is possible to change this using JTAG but I don't think it would be necessary nor do I think he would bother to
Unless all he did was swap logic boards and to make all look legit he matched the imei, not sure of a reason to do all this though
I assumed everything worked prior just fine? Does the phone look the same? (Same scratches etc?) Is there a void sticker on one of the three screws in back? You willing to open up your phone and look around to see if anything is suspicious? (There should be tape in certain places that can often give signs of tampering
As for a fix, it all depends on the cause, which is hard to determine as of now

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

boque
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Shady repairman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
It is possible the repair guy did something shady, but hard to say for sure.
The vibrator is part of sdcard tray and that connects direct to the logic board, the other sensors would be effected by the main flex cable so there really isn't one cable that would cause your issue
The mac address and imei are located in the efs partitions but I'm not 100% on the serial numbers location. Yes it is possible to change this using JTAG but I don't think it would be necessary nor do I think he would bother to
Unless all he did was swap logic boards and to make all look legit he matched the imei, not sure of a reason to do all this though
I assumed everything worked prior just fine? Does the phone look the same? (Same scratches etc?) Is there a void sticker on one of the three screws in back? You willing to open up your phone and look around to see if anything is suspicious? (There should be tape in certain places that can often give signs of tampering
As for a fix, it all depends on the cause, which is hard to determine as of now

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thank you for very useful infos, demkantor.
Phone looks the same outside. Since I knew that JTAG would be done, before I brought it to servicing i opened the phone myself and marked every piece of hardware with the markings only noticeable by me... It looks like the same PCB. I only did that with the board under the keyboard and didn't touch the display part... I guess he did what he said he would but screwed flex cable... It was important to me to know if the issue could be because the flex cable so I can replace it. Are you sure that could be the issue? All the sensors seem to be soldered on the main board.
As for the vibration issue, the memory card is in order so it must be that the motor is dead. I already ordered that part.
To sum this up, you suggest that new flex cable should fix my sensor problem?

I appreciate the help.