XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I need help unlocking bootloader

Tip us?

kafepuya
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Prompt [Q] I need help unlocking bootloader

I am trying to unlock the bootloader on my US Moto G 16 G. I have followed the instructions provided in Unlock Youe Device and Android Pit. I have followed the instructions in the FAQ as well.

After I input "$ fastboot oem get_unlock_code" i get the following reply " '$' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

I have searched for the reply in Google, but I cannot come across another user who has documented this issue and how to resolve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Faruko
Old
(Last edited by Faruko; 2nd January 2014 at 10:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 24
You are not supposed to write the $ symbol, start with "fastboot..."

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
1. Moto G: (Stock 4.4.2; Faux Kernel 008_r3; Xposed + Gravity Box) --> One with SIM
2. Moto G: (Stock 4.4.2; Aero Kernel; Xposed + Gravity Box)

Waiting for the next Nexus tablet
The Following User Says Thank You to Faruko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 2nd January 2014 at 10:53 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafepuya View Post
I am trying to unlock the bootloader on my US Moto G 16 G. I have followed the instructions provided in Unlock Youe Device and Android Pit. I have followed the instructions in the FAQ as well.

After I input "$ fastboot oem get_unlock_code" i get the following reply " '$' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

I have searched for the reply in Google, but I cannot come across another user who has documented this issue and how to resolve it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The $`s are not to be typed bro and the correct cmd command afaik is : fastboot oem get_unlock_data

USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue
New(er) to Android: READ THE FIRST 6 THREADS IN THE GENEARAL THREAD WELL BEFORE YOU START DOING STUFF LIKE ((UN)LOCKING, ROOTING, FLASHING, ADB, RECOVERY`S)
The Following User Says Thank You to gee2012 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kafepuya
Old
(Last edited by kafepuya; 2nd January 2014 at 11:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Thanks for pointing out the mistake on the command. I tried the correct way of doing it, and I still get essentially the same reply. Here is a screenshot to illustrate my situation.

kieranc88
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I got the same, when you paste the code into the box click and delete all spaces and make sure there are no spaces at the beggining of the code also.

kafepuya
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranc88 View Post
I got the same, when you paste the code into the box click and delete all spaces and make sure there are no spaces at the beggining of the code also.
No dice bro. No matter what I type, I get back "[whatever the first word in the command I type] is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I don't even know what to try next.

kieranc88
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Oh I get you now, have you got fastboot and adb installed? If so point it to the folder that contains fastboot and adb iI usually place it on c drive in a folder called android so in command prompt to point it adb I would type cd c:/android then execute your commands

kafepuya
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Oh I get you now, have you got fastboot and adb installed? If so point it to the folder that contains fastboot and adb iI usually place it on c drive in a folder called android so in command prompt to point it adb I would type cd c:/android then execute your commands
Well, I don't know if I have adb installed. I only downloaded and installed the 2 files mentioned in the Motorola page. Android SDK and the latest Motorola drivers. I can navigate to any folder in terminal (all I do is Shift+Right click on a folder and select open command window here...)

kieranc88
Old
Thanks Meter 39
If you haven't got adb and fastboot installed look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42407269
The Following User Says Thank You to kieranc88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kafepuya
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
If you haven't got adb and fastboot installed look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42407269
Well, that sure is quite more than was in the Motorola website. Ill read up on that and figure out how to do it. Thanks a lot. I'll keep you posted.