T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more
Post Reply

rooting 4.3 verizon gs3

OP eddieleed

11th January 2014, 03:15 PM   |  #21  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
11 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
SOLVED: SafeRoot works for VRUCML1, and SuperSU binary update issue resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nook2hd

Followed all the steps of Saferoot, everything else seems ok except SuperSU failed to update su binary.
The weird thing is that steps after SuperSU update (disabling KNOX and installing busybox) seem ok, and while SuperSU's popup window asking for SU binary needs to be updated, I can see in the grayed out back showing ADB Shell as the only apps gained root access.

More detail on SuperSU binary update, I chose update su normal way (instead CWM/TWRP) and next popup will report "Installation failed. Please reboot and try again." I tried many reboots and results were all the same.

From Terminal emulator, su -v command shows su is at version 3.1.1 (that's the latest already). If I cancel binary update, SuperSU app will exit too. I tried to install superuser app and use it to update su binary as someone suggested, it will fail in gaining root access.

Any way to overcome this issue and gain root on this OTA 4.3? Please help.

Phone Info:

Device Name: SCH-I535
Baseband Version: I535VRUCML1
Build Number: JSS15J.I535VRUCML1
Hardware Version: I535.10

SOLVED: SafeRoot works for VRUCML1, and SuperSU binary update issue resolved. Hope this will be helpful to others who has similar problems.

Background, I was rooted in JB 4.1.2 before took the 4.3 OTA (can't remember which method I used to root though.)

It's the weird thing that ADB Shell was granted root access as was shown in the SuperSU grayed out background prompted me to dig deeper. I noticed that SafeRoot script installs su binary into /system/xbin, so while phone connected to PC, run "adb shell" command, I see $ prompt, then run "/system/xbin/su", I see root's # prompt. So ADB Shell can indeed gain root access.

From there, run "which su' which tells me the default su being used is /system/bin/su (apparently not from SafeRoot). Removing /system/bin/su resolved the SuperSU binary update failure issue.

Since you'll need root access to remove files from /system, here are the steps I used to do that.
While still with root access in the above mentioned adb shell, do the following:

mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /system/bin/su out_of_system_folder_for_backup (optional)
rm /system/bin/su
mount -o remount,ro /system

Now run SuperSU app in the phone, it should update binary ok and prompt you to reboot. Voila! you have root working now.

Hope this will be helpful to others.

Now, I am wondering how to enable the feature to add new APN in 4.3. Adding the following 2 lines:
ril.sales_code=LOL
ro.csc.sales_code=LOL

to build.prop file does not work anymore.
11th January 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #22  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2007
I made the huge mistake of installing the OTA 4.3 update the other day. My phone is extremely slow and I need to do something about it. I haven't found a need to root my device but I'd sure love to at least go back to the 4.1 software or something else.

After doing some reading, it sounds like it's hard to do anything after the 4.3 update. I'm not sure what the Safestrap option does or the benefits of it. Can somebody give me some pointers? The battery life and performance of the device are killing me.

Thank you for your help!
11th January 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #23  
buhohitr's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,552
 
5,263 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Stock 4.3 is pretty good. I suggest you should do a factory reset first and slowly and carefully reinstall your apps one by one. You probably have too much junks and never tuneup your phone. Its time for a good clean up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
7th February 2014, 08:43 PM   |  #24  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
hey quick question. not sure if im in the right forum or not but it has to do with supersu and 4.3 so ill just ask here and if im in the wrong place maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

i rooted using SafeRoot / VRUCML1
root went fine.
i also downloaded ez-unlock.
i used ez-unlock (unlocked the bootloader) (was oblivious to the unlockable bootloader at that moment in time) (sure know about it now)
i also tried to update the binaries in superuser (as the program requested)
turned phone off, and wouldnt turn back on..............yay for HARDBRICK... :/

my question is, should i be able to safely update the binaries now that my phone is back up and running or is that not ok to do???????

im not sure whether ez-unlock or the supersu binary update was ultimately the cause of the hardbrick.

Phone: sch-1535 (samsung galaxy s3 vzw carrier)
debrick method: debrick image, external micro sd, android terminal emulator. transfer debrick.bin to internal sd, run emulator.......
not sure if you needed the information or not but figured i would provide it so no one would have to ask.

thanks in advance for any replies!!
7th February 2014, 09:19 PM   |  #25  
BadUsername's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 767
 
1,520 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjthompson

hey quick question. not sure if im in the right forum or not but it has to do with supersu and 4.3 so ill just ask here and if im in the wrong place maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

i rooted using SafeRoot / VRUCML1
root went fine.
i also downloaded ez-unlock.
i used ez-unlock (unlocked the bootloader) (was oblivious to the unlockable bootloader at that moment in time) (sure know about it now)
i also tried to update the binaries in superuser (as the program requested)
turned phone off, and wouldnt turn back on..............yay for HARDBRICK... :/

my question is, should i be able to safely update the binaries now that my phone is back up and running or is that not ok to do???????

im not sure whether ez-unlock or the supersu binary update was ultimately the cause of the hardbrick.

Phone: sch-1535 (samsung galaxy s3 vzw carrier)
debrick method: debrick image, external micro sd, android terminal emulator. transfer debrick.bin to internal sd, run emulator.......
not sure if you needed the information or not but figured i would provide it so no one would have to ask.

thanks in advance for any replies!!

Updating your binary will cause no problems.

Ez unlock is what bricked your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th February 2014, 10:31 PM   |  #26  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
39 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername

Updating your binary will cause no problems.

Ez unlock is what bricked your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ok, thank you for the re-assurance!
6th June 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #27  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieleed

thanks for the link..it worked...I am rooted on my Verizon 4.3 galaxy s3...can I install recovery (cwm or twrp)?

can you help me please! ;s
7th June 2014, 07:48 PM   |  #28  
ShapesBlue's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 756
 
3,805 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielniņo

can you help me please! ;s

What version are you on and what do you need help with?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
8th June 2014, 12:44 AM   |  #29  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
help me please
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapesBlue

What version are you on and what do you need help with?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

I have sch-i535
android 4.3
version baseband: I535VRUCNC1
I have 4.3 and I don't know how to root
help me please.
8th June 2014, 03:23 AM   |  #30  
BadUsername's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 767
 
1,520 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielniņo

I have sch-i535
android 4.3
version baseband: I535VRUCNC1
I have 4.3 and I don't know how to root
help me please.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2639337

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon Galaxy S III Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank