5,594,653 Members 32,762 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

STOCK and ROOTED SGH-I257M

Tip us?
 
Omega2513
Old
(Last edited by Omega2513; 2nd December 2013 at 09:40 AM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 209
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton
Default STOCK and ROOTED SGH-I257M

Thanks to @spyke555 for his backup copy of the Rogers version of the SGH-I257M firmware. I managed to root it with vroot, so there is a chinese version of SU on there but it works. I also stuck busy box on it and tried to get rid of most of Rogers apps.

Now to use this, you must stick it into your backup folder (i.e: clockworkmod/backup) it is NOT a flashable rom, it is a backup. If anyone wants to turn it into a flash rom, or create custom roms out of it, please do. Need to see some I257M roms popping up.

Dropbox
Box.com
G Drive

We also have @dsavard copy of the stock firmware from Koodo, which you can flash with Odin
Dropbox
Mirror 1

And here we have all of the STOCK and UNROOTED firmware for the Canadian I257M over at Sammobile

All vroot does is give root access without changing the rom. It uses the chinese program Superuser 1.0.4. You can get rid of this by following these steps:
  1. Go to play store and install SuperSU.
  2. Start SuperSU and you will be asked for permission by Superuser 1.0.4, choose 允许(means allow). (Should be the right side option.)
  3. SuperSU will prompt to install SU binary, go ahead with OK and it will display successful.
  4. Now, freeze Superuser 1.0.4 in titanium backup, just in case you need it again.
    Note: If you uninstall straight away from app manager, you need to make sure SuperSU updated the binary.
  5. Re-run SuperSU to make sure everything is alright. You will be prompt again to install SU binary, just do what it asked.
  6. After that, you are rooted with SuperSU and Superuser 1.0.4 will not be there anymore.
Once you do that, SuperSU will be the default and will be in english.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Omega2513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Skyty
Old
(Last edited by Skyty; 10th November 2013 at 07:43 AM.)
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 73
Join Date: Mar 2012
Good to see this here. I just picked up my S4 Mini today. I'm from Canada so I'm assuming it's a slightly different version than the other models? Cause mine in an SGH-1257M. Is it a different process to root it?

I'm not too familiar with vroot. My last phone was an HTC Evo 3D.
 
Omega2513
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 209
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyty View Post
Good to see this here. I just picked up my S4 Mini today. I'm from Canada so I'm assuming it's a slightly different version than the other models? Cause mine in an SGH-1257M. Is it a different process to root it?

I'm not too familiar with vroot. My last phone was an HTC Evo 3D.
vroot is like SRS or any other one touch root program, but it's in chinese. Easy to use and has a high success rate for most phones. the I257M is slightly different from what we can tell from the other models; different features. As far as I can tell there isn't a different way to root this but I'm not to sure how the others were rooted. I also don't know if there is anything different between the Bell, Rogers, Fido, etc. versions besides their own bloatware. I hope I can get all the different versions uploaded.
 
Skyty
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 73
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega2513 View Post
vroot is like SRS or any other one touch root program, but it's in chinese. Easy to use and has a high success rate for most phones. the I257M is slightly different from what we can tell from the other models; different features. As far as I can tell there isn't a different way to root this but I'm not to sure how the others were rooted. I also don't know if there is anything different between the Bell, Rogers, Fido, etc. versions besides their own bloatware. I hope I can get all the different versions uploaded.
Yeah, I have a Rogers phone. Just got it yesterday.

Is there a guide on here how to root with vroot? I'm not too good at rooting and whatnot. I've only done it once on my Evo 3D and that was more than a year a go haha!
 
Omega2513
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 209
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton
Just google it. The vroot forum has step by step with pictures

Sent from my SGH-I257M disguised as a GT-I9195
 
infamouskid
Old
#6  
infamouskid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 131
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: toronto
hey can someone help me?
i have a telus version and i would like to back mine up and post an image for you guys. we can then update the first post with the different carrier versions if we ever need to go back to stock for warranty purposes. i'd also like to see if there are different files from the carriers.
 
Skyty
Old
(Last edited by Skyty; 11th November 2013 at 05:58 AM.)
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 73
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega2513 View Post
Just google it. The vroot forum has step by step with pictures

Sent from my SGH-I257M disguised as a GT-I9195
Will do!

Edit: So I found this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2455822

It mentions select the drivers for your phone? Is the S4 Mini supported?
 
Omega2513
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 209
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamouskid View Post
hey can someone help me?
i have a telus version and i would like to back mine up and post an image for you guys. we can then update the first post with the different carrier versions if we ever need to go back to stock for warranty purposes. i'd also like to see if there are different files from the carriers.
There are forums here on how to temporarily give root and install CMW to make a backup.
 
Skyty
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 73
Join Date: Mar 2012
Well, I just rooted my phone using VROOT. It is still recognized as an SGH-I257M. However, when any of my apps update it's all in Mandarin (I think?). Would I simply use the backup you posted? Would that solve that issue?

Will the I9195 roms work with phone even though I didn't root it as a I9195?
 
Omega2513
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 209
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyty View Post
Well, I just rooted my phone using VROOT. It is still recognized as an SGH-I257M. However, when any of my apps update it's all in Mandarin (I think?). Would I simply use the backup you posted? Would that solve that issue?

Will the I9195 roms work with phone even though I didn't root it as a I9195?
All vroot does is give root access without changing the rom. It uses the chinese program Superuser 1.0.4. You can get rid of this by following these steps:
  1. Go to play store and install SuperSU.
  2. Start SuperSU and you will be asked for permission by Superuser 1.0.4, choose 允许(means allow). (Should be the right side option.)
  3. SuperSU will prompt to install SU binary, go ahead with OK and it will display successful.
  4. Now, freeze Superuser 1.0.4 in titanium backup, just in case you need it again.
    Note: If you uninstall straight away from app manager, you need to make sure SuperSU updated the binary.
  5. Re-run SuperSU to make sure everything is alright. You will be prompt again to install SU binary, just do what it asked.
  6. After that, you are rooted with SuperSU and Superuser 1.0.4 will not be there anymore.
Once you do that, SuperSU will be the default and will be in english.

You can use the backup that I posted but it would be the same as your stock rom. The backup is just for those who don't want to root their own rom, doesn't trust the program, etc. The I9195 roms will still work, but when you flash them, your phone will recognize itself as a GT-I9195 instead of SGH-I257M

The Following User Says Thank You to Omega2513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
i257m
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes