STOCK and ROOTED SGH-I257M
Thanks to @spyke555
for his backup copy of the Rogers version of the SGH-I257M firmware. I managed to root it with vroot, so there is a chinese version of SU on there but it works. I also stuck busy box on it and tried to get rid of most of Rogers apps.
Now to use this, you must stick it into your backup folder (i.e: clockworkmod/backup) it is NOT a flashable rom, it is a backup. If anyone wants to turn it into a flash rom, or create custom roms out of it, please do. Need to see some I257M roms popping up.
We also have @dsavard
copy of the stock firmware from Koodo, which you can flash with Odin
And here we have all of the STOCK and UNROOTED firmware for the Canadian I257M over at Sammobile
All vroot does is give root access without changing the rom. It uses the chinese program Superuser 1.0.4. You can get rid of this by following these steps:
- Go to play store and install SuperSU.
- Start SuperSU and you will be asked for permission by Superuser 1.0.4, choose 允许(means allow). (Should be the right side option.)
- SuperSU will prompt to install SU binary, go ahead with OK and it will display successful.
- Now, freeze Superuser 1.0.4 in titanium backup, just in case you need it again.
Note: If you uninstall straight away from app manager, you need to make sure SuperSU updated the binary.
- Re-run SuperSU to make sure everything is alright. You will be prompt again to install SU binary, just do what it asked.
- After that, you are rooted with SuperSU and Superuser 1.0.4 will not be there anymore.
Once you do that, SuperSU will be the default and will be in english.