XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Backups not restoring...

Tip us?

topcat888
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Backups not restoring...

Hi, Been doing nandroid backups religiously of my Stock S4 i9505 - MK8 using both ClockworkMod Recovery and also Online Nandroid Backup Pro as well over last few days...

Anyway, I decided to restore my last backup and that's when the problems started... The restore 'seems' to complete correctly and the phone boots up but immediately but there are lots of pop-up's:

Unfortunately, Google Play service has stopped.
Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped.
Unfortunately, process com.google.process.gapps has stopped.
Unfortunately, Picasa Uploader has stopped.
Unfortunately, Gmail has stopped. etc,etc

So, I tried some of the other nandroid backups in case that one was corrupt but got the same problem, tried clearing dalvik cache, same result...

Basically for some very strange reason none of the backups result in a stable system..? Any ideas how I get out of this one..?

Appreciated.

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2261
Are you trying to restore an online backup with cwm? That's probably the problem

topcat888
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Are you trying to restore an online backup with cwm? That's probably the problem
I did try that but also restored the backup done in recovery by CWM as well, same result...

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2261
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat888 View Post
I did try that but also restored the backup done in recovery by CWM as well, same result...
Try wiping data, and the caches and then restore the nandroid

topcat888
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Try wiping data, and the caches and then restore the nandroid
ok, wiped all caches plus data/reset and then restored a backup done by CWM I think (unfortunately both types of backups are named using the same naming format, look the same and are in the same folder, yes a mistake)... Anyway re-booted, exactly the same problem.

One thing I did notice this time was that the restores don't complete properly and 'finish early' i.e the screen goes black before it's finished and the phone immediately reboots..?

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2261
ITry to make sure you use a nandroid created in cwm. Cwm creates an md5 and checks it so if you use a nandroid not createdby it it'll fail.

topcat888
Old
(Last edited by topcat888; 1st January 2014 at 11:00 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
ITry to make sure you use a nandroid created in cwm. Cwm creates an md5 and checks it so if you use a nandroid not createdby it it'll fail.
Nope mate tried them all now, all the backups have their respective MD5... Also CWM checks the MD5's of each backup before starting the restore anyway...

I guess I'm a bit stuck on the nandroid restore front and all that's left is to flash a clean stock..? or any other ideas..?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, an update - Somehow I managed to restore one of the backups but straight away, whilst still in recovery, cleaned and reset it before starting it up and that worked, it got me back to clean working stock, amazingly.!

So that means I can now start again fresh, this time making sure the backups are not corrupt & work, before I need them..!

Cheers

topcat888
Old
(Last edited by topcat888; 2nd January 2014 at 02:42 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Hi again,

The problem goes on and I don't understand... After restoring the backup and cleaning cache/data reset all was ok in that it loaded no problems... However I keep getting a notification that Storage Space Running Out (Some system functions may not work)...

If you then go into Storage Settings, it reports Total Space as 9.25GB but available space as 355MB... But there are no files stored there, nothing... I used File Manger as well to try to find the files that are taking up all the space but it too reports that there is nothing there taking up the space...? I'm confused..? and worried that if the 345MB gets used by the system, it will then stop working..??

I have installed Root Explorer and list /sdcard it states that 8.91GB used, 329MB free. I think it is old CWM backups that are stored in the int/sd but are hidden that are causing the problem..? CWM can't see them though... I can't find the files that are taking up the space on the int/SD..??

I have also viewed the int/sd files listed when it is connected to pc in MTP mode and again there are no backup files to delete, nothing...yet it reports 329MB free of 9.22 GB...?

Plus I have noticed some of the files/folders have the '01 Jan 1970' date that CWM put on the backup.. MESS..!

I don't get it, where ever I look (using Root Explorer) there are no large files, where are they hidden..??

Basically I just want to completely clear the phone storage of any user data including CWM data (I'll use the ext sd from now on)... Trouble is I'm not sure what I can and can't delete safely..??

Help as always appreciated...

Mizpah
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi,
quick question is your KNOX showing 0x0 or 0x1

topcat888
Old
(Last edited by topcat888; 2nd January 2014 at 04:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizpah View Post
Hi,
quick question is your KNOX showing 0x0 or 0x1
Hi, It's 0x1