5,604,219 Members 48,958 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flashing AOSP and GPE roms S-Off?

Tip us?
 
middaymoon
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 21
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Flashing AOSP and GPE roms S-Off?

I have an S-on device, and I'm not entirely sure what that entails. (I know that it means I only have permission to flash recovery and not radio or boot or anything. I'm just not clear on the consequences of that.I come from an S-off HTC Inspire, which didn't have google editions or anything like that, so all I ever worried about when I flashed a rom was backing it up. But I'm looking at the Skydragon mixed version, and it has an entirely different method of installing for S-ON phones (flashing new boot.img, etc.) None of those steps is particularly scary to me, but I'm wondering WHY they're needed.

What's with the new boot img? Does it have something to do with getting GPE roms or is it just what the guys at Skydragon have set up?

What happens if I just flash it like "normal" roms (pretending that I'm s-off and flashing from recovery)?

Right now I'm on an AOSP rom. Assuming I go through the extended procedure for installing skydragon S-on, will I be able to move back from Skydragon to AOSP again, if I want to?

Thanks for bearing with me.
 
fenstre
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 432
Posts: 938
Join Date: Jan 2012
Do you have a link to these instructions? I'm curious as well.
If I helped, click Thanks!
 
middaymoon
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 21
Join Date: Dec 2013
The Skydragon ROM that I'm referring to is here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2423492

On second look, it seems that there aren't any fancy instructions for THIS particular build of Skydragon. It says "unlocked OR S-off). I must have been pretty distracted when I was reading this. Plus all the separate builds are sort of confusing. So that's nice!

But here's a build with the extended process I was asking about, if anybody wants to answer my questions anyway.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ight=skydragon
 
kamilmirza
Old
(Last edited by kamilmirza; 2nd January 2014 at 10:57 PM.)
#4  
kamilmirza's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 242
Posts: 1,041
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lahore
Quote:
Originally Posted by middaymoon View Post
I have an S-on device, and I'm not entirely sure what that entails. (I know that it means I only have permission to flash recovery and not radio or boot or anything. I'm just not clear on the consequences of that.I come from an S-off HTC Inspire, which didn't have google editions or anything like that, so all I ever worried about when I flashed a rom was backing it up. But I'm looking at the Skydragon mixed version, and it has an entirely different method of installing for S-ON phones (flashing new boot.img, etc.) None of those steps is particularly scary to me, but I'm wondering WHY they're needed.

What's with the new boot img? Does it have something to do with getting GPE roms or is it just what the guys at Skydragon have set up?

What happens if I just flash it like "normal" roms (pretending that I'm s-off and flashing from recovery)?

Right now I'm on an AOSP rom. Assuming I go through the extended procedure for installing skydragon S-on, will I be able to move back from Skydragon to AOSP again, if I want to?

Thanks for bearing with me.
S-ON = Security ON; S-OFF = Security OFF
some devices of HTC with S-ON does not support flashing boot partition (boot.img file) via recovery and you have to flash them in unlocked bootloader , fastboot mode, like HTC One X (S-ON) and vice versa
S-OFF gives you full access to modify all partitions (boot, radio, etc), unlike S-ON
now on our HTC One S-ON, there is no restriction to modify boot partition, in other words, you can flash every ROM without worrying about the boot.img file seperatly (because it's already in the ROM zip file and will be flashed along with the ROM)
as for the SkyDragon ROM mention, the text is from his One Xs' ROM so don't worry
i know this sounds confusing, sorry for my bad English
review this thread for better understanding S-OFF
hit the THANKS button if helped
Google Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to kamilmirza For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
middaymoon
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 21
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilmirza View Post
S-ON = Security ON; S-OFF = Security OFF
some devices of HTC with S-ON does not support flashing boot partition (boot.img file) via recovery and you have to flash them in unlocked bootloader , fastboot mode, like HTC One X (S-ON) and vice versa
S-OFF gives you full access to modify all partitions (boot, radio, etc), unlike S-ON
now on our HTC One S-ON, there is no restriction to modify boot partition, in other words, you can flash every ROM without worrying about the boot.img file seperatly (because it's already in the ROM zip file and will be flashed along with the ROM)
as for the SkyDragon ROM mention, the text is from his One Xs' ROM so don't worry
i know this sounds confusing, sorry for my bad English
So you're saying he just copied the text from one of his other builds? That's great. Thanks!
 
kamilmirza
Old
#6  
kamilmirza's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 242
Posts: 1,041
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lahore
Quote:
Originally Posted by middaymoon View Post
So you're saying he just copied the text from one of his other builds? That's great. Thanks!
yep
happy tension-free flashing
hit the THANKS button if helped
Google Nexus 5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes