Originally Posted by sabrinaela
I foolishly tried to downgrade from 4.3 OTA to 4.1.1 using Odin and bricked the device. After much testing, I was able to use Odin 3.09 and the 4.3 firmware posted on SamMobile (in my case the Rogers version). All other attempts with other versions led to the "Fail auth" in Odin.
Hope that helps some people who have bricked inadvertently.
***UPDATE*** I just realized that if you running the stock 4.3 recovery it wont boot. You have to flash TWRP for it to boot because the stock says to do an emergency firmware recovery in Kies.
Here is where I figured it out how to fix it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2539313
The files I used in this walk through below are in the link above.
I just unbricked my phone, finally, after flashing Slim ROM and Slim Gapps then flashing UCUEMJ2 in Odin 3.07.
1. Download/open Odin 3.07
2. Flash TWRP.tar
3. Download Slim ROM and Slim Gapps and transfer to micro SD card, might need a micro SD card adapter.
4. reboot to recovery and wipe then install Slim ROM/Gapps
5. If successful then good, keep slim rom if you want, if not I suggest you try another 4.3-4.4 ROM and when successful in flashing continue.
6. Open Odin then click PDA and flash UCUEMJ2.md5
7. It will flash everything but aboot.mbn and will say FAIL! (Auth) but it will boot up into stock 4.3.
Here is what the Odin Message box said:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> MJ2.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/012> Odin v.3 engine (ID:12)..
<ID:0/012> File analysis..
<ID:0/012> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/012> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/012> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/012> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
After this I'm sending it in for warranty and a software reinstall from Samsung so it can be like brand new.
I hope this helps someone.