5,600,919 Members 42,744 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.3 downgrade to 4.1.1 Brick, please help.

Tip us?
Nabbu Old
(Last edited by Nabbu; 26th November 2013 at 06:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter
Default 4.3 downgrade to 4.1.1 Brick, please help.

I downloaded 4.1.1 from Samsung-Updates.com and then extracted it and tried to flash it in Odin but the program is saying,
<ID:0/012> Initialzation..
<ID:0/012> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/012> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/012> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/012> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/012> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Odin is recognizing the phone and the drivers are installed. The phone, AT&T GS3 I747, is currently running Android 4.3 w/root and custom recovery. The phone is stock otherwise but it is failing for some reason.

***UPDATE*** I just found out from another thread that when you try to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.X it WILL BRICK. Dang you Samsung!! >=(
***UPDATE-2*** I would like to know if there's a fix or recovery method for this issue: can't flash ROMs, can't flash with Odin, stuck at AT&T logo, nandroid restore doesn't fix issues.

What I did to cause this issue:
1. Installed 4.3 OTA
2. flashed desamsungnizer knox removal
3. Try to flash 4.1.1 with Odin(failed)
4. reboot phone, stuck at AT&T logo.
5. restore nandroid, reboot, stuck at AT&T logo.

winosxbuntu
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabbu View Post
I downloaded 4.1.1 from Samsung-Updates.com and then extracted it and tried to flash it in Odin but the program is saying,
Odin is recognizing the phone and the drivers are installed. The phone, AT&T GS3 I747, is currently running Android 4.3 w/root and custom recovery. The phone is stock otherwise but it is failing for some reason. I'm trying to send it in for warranty for defective volume rockers and headphone jack so I need it stock asap any help is appreciated.

I just found out from another thread that when you try to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1.X it WILL BRICK. Dang you Samsung!! >=(
did yu get it fixed cuz sammy is pulling alot of cr@p with this 4.3 update for the S3
CM11 Or 4.3 S3Rx FTW ------ SGH I747
live by Dubstep
Nabbu Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by winosxbuntu View Post
did yu get it fixed cuz sammy is pulling alot of cr@p with this 4.3 update for the S3
Unfortunately I haven't found a fix for it and no one else seems to notice it except for the thread in General that says [WARNING].
I would like to know myself if someone knows why the phone boots up but is stuck at the AT&T logo and cannot flash ROMs or Odin files and that Nandroid restores don't fix the "damage".

winosxbuntu
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Unfortunately I haven't found a fix for it and no one else seems to notice it except for the thread in General that says [WARNING].
I would like to know myself if someone knows why the phone boots up but is stuck at the AT&T logo and cannot flash ROMs or Odin files and that Nandroid restores don't fix the "damage".
if you can access to download mode, follow this link to downgrade to 4.1.2 http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-downgrade-galaxy-s3
or wipe everything and reboot see if that works before downgrading
or WIPE everything 1st get to download mode, flash 4.3 with odin instead since you are on stock and pretty much you are safe to go.....
live by Dubstep
Nabbu Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
if you can access to download mode, follow this link to downgrade to 4.1.2 http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-downgrade-galaxy-s3
or WIPE everything 1st get to download mode, flash 4.3 with odin instead since you are on stock and pretty much you are safe to go.....
I'll give it a shot and get back with you if my phone is revived. Thanks!

shortydoggg
Old
Thanks Meter 188
Quote:
You still cannot downgrade from 4.3 and you cannot flash 4.3 because the official software is not yet available, only the OTA patch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
Nabbu Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortydoggg View Post
You still cannot downgrade from 4.3 and you cannot flash 4.3 because the official software is not yet available, only the OTA patch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
Yeah I just figured that out but I was thinking of flashing a 4.3 custom rom or even 4.4 to see if it revives the phone.
I'm trying it today I'll update if it works.

sabrinaela
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Was able to restore 4.3 from SamMobile with Odin 3.09

I foolishly tried to downgrade from 4.3 OTA to 4.1.1 using Odin and bricked the device. After much testing, I was able to use Odin 3.09 and the 4.3 firmware posted on SamMobile (in my case the Rogers version). All other attempts with other versions led to the "Fail auth" in Odin.

Hope that helps some people who have bricked inadvertently.
Nabbu Old
(Last edited by Nabbu; 28th November 2013 at 08:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinaela View Post
I foolishly tried to downgrade from 4.3 OTA to 4.1.1 using Odin and bricked the device. After much testing, I was able to use Odin 3.09 and the 4.3 firmware posted on SamMobile (in my case the Rogers version). All other attempts with other versions led to the "Fail auth" in Odin.

Hope that helps some people who have bricked inadvertently.
***UPDATE*** I just realized that if you running the stock 4.3 recovery it wont boot. You have to flash TWRP for it to boot because the stock says to do an emergency firmware recovery in Kies.
Here is where I figured it out how to fix it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2539313
The files I used in this walk through below are in the link above.

I just unbricked my phone, finally, after flashing Slim ROM and Slim Gapps then flashing UCUEMJ2 in Odin 3.07.
Here's how:
1. Download/open Odin 3.07
2. Flash TWRP.tar
3. Download Slim ROM and Slim Gapps and transfer to micro SD card, might need a micro SD card adapter.
4. reboot to recovery and wipe then install Slim ROM/Gapps
5. If successful then good, keep slim rom if you want, if not I suggest you try another 4.3-4.4 ROM and when successful in flashing continue.
6. Open Odin then click PDA and flash UCUEMJ2.md5
7. It will flash everything but aboot.mbn and will say FAIL! (Auth) but it will boot up into stock 4.3.

Here is what the Odin Message box said:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> MJ2.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/012> Added!!
<ID:0/012> Odin v.3 engine (ID:12)..
<ID:0/012> File analysis..
<ID:0/012> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/012> boot.img
<ID:0/012> cache.img.ext4
<ID:0/012> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/012> persist.img.ext4
<ID:0/012> recovery.img
<ID:0/012> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/012> Removed!!

After this I'm sending it in for warranty and a software reinstall from Samsung so it can be like brand new.
I hope this helps someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

winosxbuntu
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
***UPDATE*** I just realized that if you running the stock 4.3 recovery it wont boot. You have to flash TWRP for it to boot because the stock says to do an emergency firmware recovery in Kies.
Here is where I figured it out how to fix it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2539313
The files I used in this walk through below are in the link above.

I just unbricked my phone, finally, after flashing Slim ROM and Slim Gapps then flashing UCUEMJ2 in Odin 3.07.
Here's how:
1. Download/open Odin 3.07
2. Flash TWRP.tar
3. Download Slim ROM and Slim Gapps and transfer to micro SD card, might need a micro SD card adapter.
4. reboot to recovery and wipe then install Slim ROM/Gapps
5. If successful then good, keep slim rom if you want, if not I suggest you try another 4.3-4.4 ROM and when successful in flashing continue.
6. Open Odin then click PDA and flash UCUEMJ2.md5
7. It will flash everything but aboot.mbn and will say FAIL! (Auth) but it will boot up into stock 4.3.

Here is what the Odin Message box said:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> MJ2.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/012> Added!!
<ID:0/012> Odin v.3 engine (ID:12)..
<ID:0/012> File analysis..
<ID:0/012> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/012> boot.img
<ID:0/012> cache.img.ext4
<ID:0/012> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/012> persist.img.ext4
<ID:0/012> recovery.img
<ID:0/012> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/012> Removed!!

After this I'm sending it in for warranty and a software reinstall from Samsung so it can be like brand new.
I hope this helps someone.
Thanks for the log and instructions, this is helpful for anyone that has bricked their phones
Again thanks
live by Dubstep

The Following User Says Thank You to winosxbuntu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]