5,597,138 Members 44,256 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Note 3's note charging/connecting to a PC

Tip us?
 
Soryuu
Old
(Last edited by Soryuu; 3rd November 2013 at 05:45 AM.)
#1  
Soryuu's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298
Posts: 862
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland
Hi,

My brother has a Galaxy Note 3 (the LTE version. N9005) which has been brilliant up until just now, where it can't charge nor connect to a PC.
He's tried using both the microUSB 3.0 cable that came with it - both connecting to a computer and to charge - as well as a microUSB 2.0 cable to charge... Neither has worked.
He's on stock, no rooting whatsoever (not that kind of person).

Is this a hardware problem or is there anything that could solve this before we send it off to warranty?

Any answers are greatly appreciated...

UPDATE: Its suddenly charging again... But we'll see what happens... In the meantime, can anyone offer an explanation?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD
 
arul
Old
(Last edited by arul; 4th November 2013 at 04:45 PM.) Reason: Updated Service Centre visit/repair
#2  
arul's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 38
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KL
I have the same problem with the phone not being recognised by the computer or charger. Strange thing is that the computer recognises the phone in download mode via odin (an kies for a while). And it has been charging while in download mode connected to kies or odin.

I initially thought it was a bad third party rom i had downloaded and tried to change to another rom. It was back to charging for a bit and then after a day stopped again. Tried to reset to factory rom and bricked the phone in the process (as stupidly checked reactivation lock and clicked a wrong button when titanium backup asked if I wanted to restore the previous id - spent 2 days to unbrick it.....

But now I'm back to the phone not being able to charge or being recognised by the computer. Even the OTG cable isn't recognised. HELP pleaseeee someone. First issue with a Galaxy since the S3/S4/Note1/Note2.

Any thoughts as to what the issue could be? Someone mentioned that it could be a setting in phoneutils menu (if USB set to modem it wont recognise - has to be set to PDA). But the *#7284# command doesnt seem to work on the Note 3. Does anyone know how to invoke the phone utility menu?
I might have to take it back to Samsung - only that I have rooted it and knox shows it!!

Update :
I sent the device into the service centre this morning and explained the problem. The guy at the counter didn't bat an eye while telling me its likely a usb port problem and that he would try to check it and get it turned around within a day. When I asked him if others had similar problems, his response seemed to indicate that it wasn't an uncommon problem. They even had plenty of spares for the port.
I got a text within 2 hours telling me that the unit was fixed. They didn't give me any hassle about the unit being rooted but I guess with a hardware issue, it shouldn't have mattered anyway.
So far so good with the unit. Just thought I'd update you guys.
Galaxy S4 / Note 3 LTE/ Note 8 / Nexus LTE
 
Soryuu
Old
#3  
Soryuu's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298
Posts: 862
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by arul View Post
Update :
I sent the device into the service centre this morning and explained the problem. The guy at the counter didn't bat an eye while telling me its likely a usb port problem and that he would try to check it and get it turned around within a day. When I asked him if others had similar problems, his response seemed to indicate that it wasn't an uncommon problem. They even had plenty of spares for the port.
I got a text within 2 hours telling me that the unit was fixed. They didn't give me any hassle about the unit being rooted but I guess with a hardware issue, it shouldn't have mattered anyway.
So far so good with the unit. Just thought I'd update you guys.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but is it just a hardware problem then?

The phone suddenly started charging again shortly after your reply, so we didn't have this problem for months.
The phone got repaired after quite a bad incident, and now its not charging or connecting to a PC again.

There's a Samsung service centre down the road from where I am so we're planing on going tomorrow. Just wanted to see whether it was hardware or software related...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Soryuu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dogmatism
Old
#4  
dogmatism's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 163
Join Date: Dec 2006
This maybe aswell related to cache, you could go into the st9ock recovery and wipe cache (no need to factory reset) Ive used this method to solve connecting issues with note 3 to computers.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogmatism For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Soryuu
Old
#5  
Soryuu's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298
Posts: 862
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmatism View Post
This maybe aswell related to cache, you could go into the st9ock recovery and wipe cache (no need to factory reset) Ive used this method to solve connecting issues with note 3 to computers.
And that causes no side effects whatsoever?

It also doesn't charge via AC, so could jt fix it as well..?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
 
dogmatism
Old
#6  
dogmatism's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 163
Join Date: Dec 2006
Clearing cache does not create any problem/ harm. The ones ive tested had connecting issues data/debug ... but showed charging... but no harm in trying your luck eh?
The Following User Says Thank You to dogmatism For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Soryuu
Old
#7  
Soryuu's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298
Posts: 862
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmatism View Post
Clearing cache does not create any problem/ harm. The ones ive tested had connecting issues data/debug ... but showed charging... but no harm in trying your luck eh?
Hoping it'll work indeed... since we're overseas we can't exactly claim warranty either, though I'm not sure it'd even pass for warranty anyway

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
 
Soryuu
Old
#8  
Soryuu's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298
Posts: 862
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland
Fixed it, we just took it down to the service centre the guys there replaced the USB port for free (after a bit of complaining on our part, we had already paid quite a bit to repair the thing after a freak accident)
@dogmatism, thank you for your help anyway!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Soryuu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dogmatism
Old
#9  
dogmatism's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 163
Join Date: Dec 2006
good foe you...
you never mentioned abt a physical damage/accident.
 
Soryuu
Old
#10  
Soryuu's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 298
Posts: 862
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmatism View Post
good foe you...
you never mentioned abt a physical damage/accident.
This problem happened before the freak accident, but it just fixed itself somehow, so wasn't much of an issue until now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes