5,595,570 Members 46,975 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

'How To Get Better Battery Life' tips and tricks

Tip us?
 
alex94kumar
Old
(Last edited by alex94kumar; 13th April 2013 at 02:32 AM.)
#1  
alex94kumar's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 338
Posts: 851
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Default 'How To Get Better Battery Life' tips and tricks

I haven't seen one of these threads yet, and I think it will benefit users of our D4 forum.

If you have any tips/tricks, feel free to add them here.

My first tip: TURN OFF 4G AT ANY TIME POSSIBLE. 4g is a battery vacuum.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app
Proud owner of:
--Rooted VZW Moto X Developer Edition on stock 4.4 KitKat (Current Devce)
--Rooted Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition 4.3

--Rooted Droid 4 on 4.1.2(retired)
--Rooted Xoom Wingray on custom 4.2.2(retired)
--Rooted Droid 2 on Liberty 2.3 (Retired)

If I have helped you, DON'T FORGET to hit the button!

Want free cloud storage? Click the ---> <--- logo to sign up!
 
tcrews
Old
#2  
tcrews's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 166
Posts: 701
Join Date: May 2010
Here's the biggest....Widgets and Social Networks.

Watch your widgets (weather, news, facebook, etc..) that update/refresh. Most will allow you to adjust the refresh time. Set it high or to manual refresh.

Social Networks.....set them to refresh only. You don't need them refreshing their data in the background, just have them pull the latest down when you are actually using them (Facebook, Twitter, Google +, etc..). Set to manual refresh so that they only refresh when you are using the app. You don't need the latest status messages your friends are posting hitting your phone when it's in your pocket.

WiFi and. 3G/4G.....if you are in a location that makes your phone drop/search for signal and WiFi is available....use WiFi. The constant searching/seeking and establishing a 3G/4G network connection will kill your battery faster than having a constant 4G connection. This leaves the cellular band free for calls and all your apps that sync/pull data from the internet can happily run over the WiFi connection instead of killing your battery.
http://android.snkbitten.com/
Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all rooted)
Motorola Moto X DevEd - KK 4.4.2 + Root
Google Nexus 10 - KK 4.4.2 + Root
The Following User Says Thank You to tcrews For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Zero5295
Old
#3  
Zero5295's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 58
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austin
Default Suggested Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews View Post
Here's the biggest....Widgets and Social Networks.

Watch your widgets (weather, news, facebook, etc..) that update/refresh. Most will allow you to adjust the refresh time. Set it high or to manual refresh.

Social Networks.....set them to refresh only. You don't need them refreshing their data in the background, just have them pull the latest down when you are actually using them (Facebook, Twitter, Google +, etc..). Set to manual refresh so that they only refresh when you are using the app. You don't need the latest status messages your friends are posting hitting your phone when it's in your pocket.

WiFi and. 3G/4G.....if you are in a location that makes your phone drop/search for signal and WiFi is available....use WiFi. The constant searching/seeking and establishing a 3G/4G network connection will kill your battery faster than having a constant 4G connection. This leaves the cellular band free for calls and all your apps that sync/pull data from the internet can happily run over the WiFi connection instead of killing your battery.
I second this, keep your widgest, number of home screens, and social networking apps down. Phones haven't reached the point of being able to be computers quite yet. Here are some apps to keep it snappy though:

Fast Reboot (by Great Bytes Software)- same as a battery pull without having to. Clears up a lot of RAM.
Lte On/Off - with this, you can switch to 3G (CDMA) only, and have it set to automatically default to that setting in the case of you switching to airplane mode for some reason. But it does reset the app if you turn of your phone. Fast Reboot doesn't clash with this app.
App Cache Cleaner - clears out a lot of the cache you otherwise would have to go to Manage Applications to clean out.

That's all I can think of at the moment for non-rooted users. I won't go into rooted b/c this is not the right place. But here are a few battery saving settings:

GPS - have only the Google one on, it's the fastest in my experience.
Display - have it set to the lowest setting when at all possible. Only lowers color distortion in my experience.
Developer optionss - go in here and turn on the force GPU settings. This may not be the case with everyone, but it gives my phone a little more zip and makes things smoother.
Apps (this is the very bottom of the developer settings) - Adjust these to your liking. Perhaps try setting the max number of backgrounded processes to 4.
 
niko99
Old
#4  
niko99's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 124
Posts: 277
Join Date: May 2008
I wonder how it looks on you ...


on my droid 4 and with Jelly Bean i lost ~5,5% battery by hour no matter what i do even on airplane mode.. still aroud 5% by 1h

please can you advice how its look from your side ?
Using a own Droid 3 rom called DROM
http://forum.android.com.pl/showthread.php?t=158868
 
zeroktal
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 106
Join Date: Nov 2006
I had the same thing with my Droid 4. I finally sbf'd it, and reinstalled everything one at a time. This fixed it.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium
 
niko99
Old
#6  
niko99's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 124
Posts: 277
Join Date: May 2008
i try SBF many time, formats, pull out sd card no matter what i do.. still lost 5,5 % battery by hour.. so max my battery keep 16-18h
(its there any possibility to move back to ICS ? )
Using a own Droid 3 rom called DROM
http://forum.android.com.pl/showthread.php?t=158868
 
fathermocker
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 18
Join Date: Dec 2011
Is there any way for the Droid to use only 2G networks? 3G/4G while idle seems to be the biggest battery drainer.
 
Jahoovi
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathermocker View Post
Is there any way for the Droid to use only 2G networks? 3G/4G while idle seems to be the biggest battery drainer.
you just turn off your network data and you will still be able to run 2g
 
fathermocker
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 18
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahoovi View Post
you just turn off your network data and you will still be able to run 2g
What I meant was if it was possible to just use 2G for Internet connections, instead of 2G+3G+4G.
 
MiLoS R2D2
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 28
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chicago
a battery calibration after rooting device should help.. what it does is delete the fake information from the old/stock ROM and cleans up your battery to new life... better explained here... https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erycalibration...
Droid 2 - ROM - LiquidICS v1.62 / Android Version 4.0.4
Droid 4 - ROM - Stock VZW JB Build / Android Version 4.1.2(So Far)

The Following User Says Thank You to MiLoS R2D2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Add Swipe Utilities to Your App with SimpleFingerGestures Library

Gestures have become an increasingly important element in smartphone UI … more

Android App Review: Lock it Down with Lockdown Pro – XDA Developer TV

Our smartphones are our lives. They store our contacts, emails, … more

Get the AOSP Lock Screen on Your ICS-Powered Samsung Device

Android is the only popular mobile operating system that allows users, … more